2018 - Beech Clump

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Went to collect today, wanted to get Beech so we when to a different place than before. When I walked into the woods I could see beech trees every. I found this just as I was walking in, it appears to be a large tree that broke at the bottom and the new shoots came out. I was going to dig it up today and realized it was not moving and did not have the tools to get it. So I cut it back and will watch this summer and see if it comes back.

BeechClump-1.jpg

BeechClump-2.jpg

BeechClump-3.jpg

BeechClump-4.jpg

This is close enough to the road I can check it this summer without having to walk around and watching for snakes.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice tree material. Most Beeches up around me don’t have those white-toned splotch patterns. I’d see that more in a Carolina Hornbeam. Up here the Beech trunks are just a plain light grey. But I have seen what I believe are Beeches with that subtle pattern deeper in the forests around me.

Beech are fabulous...especially those unique light brown tone dry leaves in the winter months. Well...my winter months anyway. You might not have a snow covered winter....but it appears that the leaves still go brown and hold on tightly. Cool. That natural Uro is genuine....nice to work with.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But I have seen what I believe are Beeches with that subtle pattern deeper in the forests around me.
Same here.
Akso,when I see beech trees it tells me there should be hornbeam nearby. The hops will be growing in the same area and American hornbeam will be where the ground is a little wetter.

So I cut it back and will watch this summer and see if it comes back.
I've never collected a beech before,but I would think about going back out and seal those cuts and if I weren't going to dig it up this year trench around the roots. Knowing me,I would wait until I saw the others nearby moving and dig it this year.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd be back tomorrow with proper tools and finish the deed,
Oh...I’m certainly no expert....but if I went out again to finish the job I’d probably cut back a little more, just enough to find some live tissue, because the cambium could have already dried out at the previous chop point. Just me though. I like to seal fresh chops...not old ones.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the replies, no way to get back to it until next weekend. After looking at my trees here yesterday I realize it is time to start working on them, but may take the trip.

"I've never collected a beech before,but I would think about going back out and seal those cuts and if I weren't going to dig it up this year trench around the roots"
Well that is what I did last year on 2 hawthorn and killed both of them. Maybe I did "too" much trenching but they both died. I figure this year I just cut the top out and see what happens.

I did collect 2 of the beech, not really what I wanted, but with the supply I rather learn on some "so so" stock. Found another clump that is really nice but will wait till I have a better understanding of these before I collect it. Will post pictures of them, just do not have the time.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Akso,when I see beech trees it tells me there should be hornbeam nearby. The hops will be growing in the same area and American hornbeam will be where the ground is a little wetter."
Mike, hornbeam sound nice... I will have to check, there is a small stream that I was going to yesterday but never made it I got to taking pictures of in the woods of fallen trees that start back..

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hawthorn and killed both of them.
I treat them like elms. Cut them down to size. You don't need to leave them too tall,cut them as low as you need. I don't bother sealing them. They will sprout out of the cut just like an elm will.
Then right after I've chopped them,I dig them up. Same day. I go tough on the roots at that time. I cut them back fat enough to fit into a bonsai pot the first time. Then I plop the stump into a colander with D.E. and lava. Put it out in full sun and watch the magic happen.
I've yet to lose one to collection.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
that uro is pretty nice - keep those few low branches and keep it tall for now to help it recover lost branches. Nice martial!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'd be back tomorrow with proper tools and finish the deed,
Wasn't there a recent thread about a tree destined for collection that was chopped in situ and didn't survive the following summer. I'd do my best to grab this one in the next few weeks if I could.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wasn't there a recent thread about a tree destined for collection that was chopped in situ and didn't survive the following summer. I'd do my best to grab this one in the next few weeks if I could

Dave that may have been me, but I cut the top and all around the bottom, thinking it would start new small roots.

Thanks for all the input ....

papymandarin

Shohin
Reaction score
the white splotches are a lichen specific to beech, and is mainly responsible for the very light colour of the bark in some areas or older trees, woud be interesting to see whether they remain after some years of cutivation

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Knowing me,I would wait until I saw the others nearby moving and dig it this year.
I'd be back tomorrow with proper tools and finish the deed
I'd do my best to grab this one in the next few weeks if I could.
So I listened to your advice, I borrowed a reciprocating saw and went back Saturday. It is a small saw and used 1 full battery and some of the spare, I would have never gotten this without it. When I got home I recharged the battery and cut the bottom, and potted it. I look forward to working with this.

CutFree.jpg

RootCut1.jpg

RootCut2.jpg

PottedUp.jpg

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I second Judy on this. A large cutting? I see not roots!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
That was maybe a bit to bold in cutting that flat like that, also I would have collected a wide root base - Goodluck with it and try and keep it out of harsh sun for now

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
that was pretty brutal mate. an olive or privet maybe, but beech.... Good luck

Top Bottom