2018 from seed!

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I also have 2 American persimmon I started this year. The leaves are pretty large but hopefully they reduce and I started them in bonsai soil so there should be plenty of feeder roots once I prune the tap root

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
It took about 10-15 days for me every time. Just clean the pulp off let the seeds dry a few days then soak em an plant em or just plant em that's the ones I started inside though, I started some in paper towels an transferred them outside and experimented. I even got a few cuttings to root when I pruned em an my plants only a few months old. Maybe try a cutting from an old plant if you can find one. I hear they root pretty easy from cuttings of almost any size

Yeah I'm excited to watch the development of my huangshan, they're growing faster and more vigorous than my jbp an they were started a month after

Ive done all that with my pomegranate seeds. I have some in paper towels, I have some in dirt, cleaned all the pulp - dried them out. You name it, I did it. I guess I just have to wait longer

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ive done all that with my pomegranate seeds. I have some in paper towels, I have some in dirt, cleaned all the pulp - dried them out. You name it, I did it. I guess I just have to wait longer
Patience is a virtue. I will all goes well.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My bald cypress started from seed in early spring

20180930_180647.jpgI wanna grow this as a specimen tree

20180930_175810.jpgthese threethese three I'm planning a group planting

20180930_175637.jpg20180930_175518.jpg20180930_175506.jpgall these 3 are gonna be bald cypress forests

20180927_154950.jpgand the littlest cypress
I just plan on letting this one grow, idk if it has a future in bonsai

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My apple tree grown from a store bought Fuji apple. 20180930_180743.jpg
The trunk movement came from the trunk wilting and almost shriveled one day didn't expect him to make it but I mounded some sifted fines from my bonsai mix around the trunk to keep the trunk as upright as possible. Eventually the wilted part healed and swelled giving some good taper for a 5-6 month old seedling

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
My bald cypress started from seed in early spring

View attachment 211855I wanna grow this as a specimen tree

View attachment 211856these threethese three I'm planning a group planting

View attachment 211857View attachment 211858View attachment 211859
all these 3 are gonna be bald cypress forests

Yours look way better than mine! Mine look so ratty. They got mauled by the sun where Im at. They are only 12 inches tall though. Yours are pretty darn big already.

Last edited:

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yours look way better than mine! Mine look so ratty. They got mauled by the sun where Im at. They are only 12 inches tall though. Yours are pretty darn big already.
Min are in a mix of potting soil and bonsai soil so the roots separate and moisture is retained if I forget to water, an I keep em submerged mostly plus fertalize regularly. I'm happy with them especially with this being my first year

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Min are in a mix of potting soil and bonsai soil so the roots separate and moisture is retained if I forget to water, an I keep em submerged mostly plus fertalize regularly. I'm happy with them especially with this being my first year

I'm on top of the watering but I thought they needed a lot of sun so they got roasted. Ill take pics tomorrow..

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Probably the Florida sun. Where I keep mine they get full sun till around 3-4ish. I've had some get a little crispy on me, but in a few days they're back budding

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have 2 that look like those, I planted em in potting soil mixed with sifted fines from my bonsai mix in a deep pot, deeper than all the others anyway. They have a really long tap root growing through the drainage hole but not much for radial roots.

I'm convinced mine potted in the bonsai+potting soil mix that I keep submerged is the reason for the fat trunks. The radical roots have air pockets to grow through

Yours dont look bad though, some ppl on etsy are selling bald cypress in that shape.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I have 2 that look like those, I planted em in potting soil mixed with sifted fines from my bonsai mix in a deep pot, deeper than all the others anyway. They have a really long tap root growing through the drainage hole but not much for radial roots.

I'm convinced mine potted in the bonsai+potting soil mix that I keep submerged is the reason for the fat trunks. The radical roots have air pockets to grow through

Yours dont look bad though, some ppl on etsy are selling bald cypress in that shape.

I have one potted in half potting mix and half bonsai soil. I re-potted into that mix because it was looking shitty.... When I was germinating them I knew i had to keep them really wet so I didnt think putting them in that mix. I didnt think it was a good idea at the time. I literally drenched those pots everyday. And by looking at the color of the soil, I knew how wet they were. Did you start them in that mix? and did you actually mix the fines and potting mix together or did you do half potting mix on the bottom and half bonsai mix on the top? I have 50 seeds left to plant and Id like to know exactly what you did.. thanks!

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have one potted in half potting mix and half bonsai soil. I re-potted into that mix because it was looking shitty.... When I was germinating them I knew i had to keep them really wet so I didnt think putting them in that mix. I didnt think it was a good idea at the time. I literally drenched those pots everyday. And by looking at the color of the soil, I knew how wet they were. Did you start them in that mix? and did you actually mix the fines and potting mix together or did you do half potting mix on the bottom and half bonsai mix on the top? I have 50 seeds left to plant and Id like to know exactly what you did.. thanks!
As soon as I saw a tap root I just stuck em in the bonsai soil mix an watered em in plus I had em sittin in a tub with some water in the bottom. The soil for the big ones is basically 3/4 bonsai soil 1/4 potting soil mixed together, they're potted in an 8 inch bulb pan with about 7 in each bulb pan and the pans are in a hard plastic fruit bowl type thing I was gifted called basket ease. Then there's the ones I have in a ceramic pot, they are in 100% bonsai soil with a good amount of pine bark. There's like 20 in that pot all at least a foot tall. The soil of the skinny ones is the fines of the bonsai soil mixed together with potting soil cuz I was all out of bonsai soil but seeds kept sprouting

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As soon as I saw a tap root I just stuck em in the bonsai soil mix an watered em in plus I had em sittin in a tub with some water in the bottom. The soil for the big ones is basically 3/4 bonsai soil 1/4 potting soil mixed together, they're potted in an 8 inch bulb pan with about 7 in each bulb pan and the pans are in a hard plastic fruit bowl type thing I was gifted called basket ease. Then there's the ones I have in a ceramic pot, they are in 100% bonsai soil with a good amount of pine bark. There's like 20 in that pot all at least a foot tall. The soil of the skinny ones is the fines of the bonsai soil mixed together with potting soil cuz I was all out of bonsai soil but seeds kept sprouting
How I germinated them was in an empty plastic spinach container loosely planted on potting soil like this15384401169581348516105891289524.jpg I kept the soil quite moist and put the container with lid on in front of a space heater cuz I dont have a heat mat. As soon as a seed would pop up I'd pull the seed case off and stick it in a pot. Use a twig to make a hole in the soil, drop the seed in and water it in and I used bonsai soil so the fine feeder roots start early and there won't be much tap root to remove next year.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
How long did they take to germinate? I think mine took 4-5 weeks...

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I really dont remember, no moor than a month for a batch to start but after they started the time varied. I stratified the first batch in the fridge over winter then early spring I collected a bunch from the base of the trees. Those maybe 3 weeks or less.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I really dont remember, no moor than a month for a batch to start but after they started the time varied. I stratified the first batch in the fridge over winter then early spring I collected a bunch from the base of the trees. Those maybe 3 weeks or less.

I didnt stratify mine @Mellow Mullet told me I didnt have to and they all popped up right at about 4 weeks. Im not going to stratify this next batch either. I appreciate all the info.. Thanks a lot! I appreciate it.

Top Bottom