2018 from seed!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Finally!
This seems a good batch of seed,although from 2016 crop year.So I imagine seeds are only year and a half from Sheffield’s.
Literally 95% or better,the seeds sank to the bottom.
Should be ready by mid April for planting after cold stratify for two months.
12FE602E-F630-4277-80B9-657C2B6F0D9E.jpeg30648F3E-FC4B-4EF8-B4E9-7F45921742A2.jpeg

Last edited:

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Japanese zelkova
Chinese zelkova
Trident maple
Acer shirasawanum
Acer palmatum, seeds collected from 3 different neighborhood trees
Once these hatch I’ll need to plant them out among the other landscaping plants in the yard as sunny spots are limited elsewhere. Hopefully SWMBO won’t mistake them for weeds.
DC6E472E-EDBA-4E8B-A9C4-447EB2428153.jpeg

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
So my Mum is coming over this summer and that means she can bring something like 5 packets of seed with her which means I can try and get some of the rarer Aussie seeds that you otherwise won't find here. Time do some research.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
2 trays of mugo, 2 trays of scots, and 2 trays of amur maple out side letting ma narure do the strats. In the fridge I have over 100 more amur locally collected, a bag full of crabapple, too many trident, and some purple Japanese maples I got as a gift for Xmas. I hope there is at least one blue one in the mix.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After commenting a few weeks ago on this very post, I go off and make my own. I’ve become what I hate

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We can start a new thread on trading seedlings.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How are your oaks doing?
I have at least one of each type of acorn you sent me, that are peaking through the top soil.

Not so lucky with my first batch of japanese persimmon
The coast live oak you sent me just started to break the soil. The cork one still taking their time. Before the trade, I bought 10 seeds of cork and coast live oaks. Those are the one you see in earlier picture. I also sowed a few hundreds of southern live oaks and Willow leaf. They all did really well until the squirrels start to have a taste for them. I really pissed that they did damaged most of it. IMG_20180208_154806067.jpg I really missed the first batch of coast, cork and Willow. My problem now is how to protect them. I'll take more pictures when I get home. Can't believe I enjoy doing this kind of thing.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The coast live oak you sent me just started to break the soil. The cork one still taking their time. Before the trade, I bought 10 seeds of cork and coast live oaks. Those are the one you see in earlier picture. I also sowed a few hundreds of southern live oaks and Willow leaf. They all did really well until the squirrels start to have a taste for them. I really pissed that they did damaged most of it. View attachment 179602 I really missed the first batch of coast, cork and Willow. My problem now is how to protect them. I'll take more pictures when I get home. Can't believe I enjoy doing this kind of thing.
Here they are....IMG_20180227_123419995.jpgIMG_20180227_123342548.jpgIMG_20180227_123629077.jpg
@theone420 if you look carefully at the last pic, you can see the coast live oak started to poke through.

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have American elm seeds that I soaked for 24 hrs. About 90% of the seeds were still floating. So being disappointed I threw in more seeds to soak. Still lots of floaters after 48 hrs so I start to to pull out the floaters to throw them away and I notice that they are already germinating.
Isn’t unusual that the floaters are germinating? The sinkers weren’t yet germinating.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have American elm seeds that I soaked for 24 hrs. About 90% of the seeds were still floating. So being disappointed I threw in more seeds to soak. Still lots of floaters after 48 hrs so I start to to pull out the floaters to throw them away and I notice that they are already germinating.
Isn’t unusual that the floaters are germinating? The sinkers weren’t yet germinating.
You don't need to soak elm seeds,just stick in the dirt and add water.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

American elm seeds are designed to float. The trees natural habitat is in the low lands and flood plains of rivers and creeks. The seeds are designed to float down stream and grow once the hit something they can root in, be it dry land, mud, muck a rotting tree or what ever.

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
American elm seeds are designed to float. The trees natural habitat is in the low lands and flood plains of rivers and creeks. The seeds are designed to float down stream and grow once the hit something they can root in, be it dry land, mud, muck a rotting tree or what ever.
Thanks! I didn’t know that. I haven’t grown American elm. I don’t think I have ever seen one in real life before.
I think I am going to a lot of seedlings!

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I finally got my fence up after the hurricane. No more iguanas (hopefully they'll stay out) for now I just started planting all my new trees.
I have over 15 or so Mahogany Trees growing. I screwed up my first batch of seeds but all new ones look great. I have multiple trees growing of the list below and FINALLY got a few Kapok seeds to germinate. This list is pretty much my favorite trees to grow. I have a bunch of Lignum Vitae seeds that I'm trying to germinate now as well as some sweet acacia seeds that I scored in one of my neighborhoods. None have germinated yet though. I also have some Ficus Benghalensis that never seem to germinate for me. Love me some banyan trees but what a pain in the .....

Image 1) Mahogany -Swietenia mahagoni
Image 2) Wisteria poking its head out.
Image 3) Chocolate Mimosa
Image 4) Acacia -Vachellia tortilis - umbrella thorn tree
image 5) Japanese Pagoda - Sophora japonica
image 6) Kapok - Ceiba pentandra
Image 7) Blue Jacarnada
Image 8) Golden Medallion - Cassia Leptophylla
Image 9) Japanese Pagoda - Sophora japonica
Image 10) Bohdi Tree - Ficus Religiosa

If any one is interested in a seed swap, just let me know. I'd love to try and grow some other kinds of trees. I have lots of Mahogany, Portia Tree or Seaside Mahoe Thespesia populnea, tons of Royal Poinciana and I have some of those Sweet Acacia as well.

Attachments

• IMG_8241.JPG
    IMG_8241.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8249.JPG
    IMG_8249.JPG
    485.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8251.JPG
    IMG_8251.JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8253.JPG
    IMG_8253.JPG