2018 Makeshift Tropical Set-Up

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
2 inch deep, 24 inch square drip tray on a table, surrounded by cardboard with white poster board glued and taped on the inside... One side opens like a door and there is a 2 inch gap all the way up on that corner, latched with a tiny bungee cord... Open top with 3 normal LEDs shining down with 1450 lumens each...for 17 hours per day.

I used fluorescent tubes last year...in a colder basement... they're gonna like it here...
KIMG1398.JPG

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was just at CostCo today... they are selling some insanely bright 48" LED shop lights for about $40. 4000 lumens each! They look exactly like the old tube shop lights - no hot spots or pin point lights that let you know they are LED's. Just two bars of really bright light. I could not look directly at them. 40 watts draw...

Two of them for $60...

https://www.costco.com/Feit-4'-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-2-pack.product.100410429.html

imageService.jpg

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was just at CostCo today... they are selling some insanely bright 48" LED shop lights for about $40. 4000 lumens each! They look exactly like the old tube shop lights - no hot spots or pin point lights that let you know they are LED's. Just two bars of really bright light. I could not look directly at them. 40 watts draw...

Two of them for $60...

https://www.costco.com/Feit-4'-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-2-pack.product.100410429.html

View attachment 213234
They are only 4000k though, shouldn't you want higher?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Holy crap, apparently I have a ridiculous amount of trees inside.
LOL!

They are only 4000k though, shouldn't you want higher?
I'm sure this is more light than last year, the thin fluorescent tubes were lame.
We'll see... Buld change is easy enough.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
2 inch deep, 24 inch square drip tray on a table, surrounded by cardboard with white poster board glued and taped on the inside... One side opens like a door and there is a 2 inch gap all the way up on that corner, latched with a tiny bungee cord... Open top with 3 normal LEDs shining down with 1450 lumens each...for 17 hours per day.

I used fluorescent tubes last year...in a colder basement... they're gonna like it here...
View attachment 213203
If there's too much light in your house, expect cops knocking on your door! ?

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Seems pretty high.
It is yes.
From my research, 18 hours is max.
Worked well with the fluorescent tubes....

Nice!
So a normal led light can be used as growing light :eek: never knew
We'll see how they do....I think it'll be fine.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice!
So a normal led light can be used as growing light :eek: never knew

The best grow light will be one that delivers the most PAR (photosynthetically available radiation) for the least watts (electricity used). There are two types of plant chlorophyll which use two different bands of radiation - one in the blue spectrum and one in the red spectrum. So without getting really detailed, a plant grow light will typically look purple to the human eye because the light is blue mixed with red - and very little extraneous light that plants don't use.

However there is more than one way to arrive at the same lighting solution. You can achieve the same results if you use a broad spectrum light. The plant will use the blue and reds, and the other bandwidths (greens and yellows) will fill in the spectrum so that the light looks whiter and not as purple. So you can use a broad spectrum "white" light... it just won't be as efficient as a plant grow light and may, in fact, be lacking in some bandwidth - but some people might find it more pleasing to the eye particularly if you use the lighting for other purposes (to light your basement, for example).

That said, I have not seen any spectrum data on this particular light.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The best grow light will be one that delivers the most PAR (photosynthetically available radiation) for the least watts (electricity used). There are two types of plant chlorophyll which use two different bands of radiation - one in the blue spectrum and one in the red spectrum. So without getting really detailed, a plant grow light will typically look purple to the human eye because the light is blue mixed with red - and very little extraneous light that plants don't use.

However there is more than one way to arrive at the same lighting solution. You can achieve the same results if you use a broad spectrum light. The plant will use the blue and reds, and the other bandwidths (greens and yellows) will fill in the spectrum so that the light looks whiter and not as purple. So you can use a broad spectrum "white" light... it just won't be as efficient as a plant grow light and may, in fact, be lacking in some bandwidth - but some people might find it more pleasing to the eye particularly if you use the lighting for other purposes (to light your basement, for example).

Thankyou for this explaination!
My ficus is still outside now since the temps are around 20 °c but when it cools down it has to go inside in the window sill, im going to put it in an old aquarium to boost the humidity and the lid has a socket for a lamp wich i can use to put in an white led light it will look pretty and if it also will help with the light for growth itl be great :)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

I'm gonna get some grow bulbs, why not....

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Dont :p

Id love to see if this works lol

If not im gonna get some cheap ass mallsai tropical put it in a cardboard box with a led light and see if it survives trough winter :p
Already ordered some.
But they're a white type.
They claim to be some new technology...or maybe they're garbage...
I'll show the box when they arrive.

Reaction score
If you can see the light it will grow plants. Yes, there are better options but they all work. No commercial light emits only at a particular band width. They have peaks at certain k but they all put out a much larger band width.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Updated makeshift set-up...
And tree pics....
Got some bulbs that are allegedly "grow lights" they claim to be some new technology that grows plants better than any white light before... Whatever....I don't mind trying....I will say, they are bright....and seem to almost have a blueish tint.
KIMG1430.JPGKIMG1431.JPGKIMG1432.JPGKIMG1433.JPGKIMG1435.JPGKIMG1436.JPGKIMG1439.JPGKIMG1440.JPGKIMG1441.JPG
KIMG1430.JPGKIMG1431.JPGKIMG1432.JPGKIMG1433.JPGKIMG1435.JPGKIMG1436.JPGKIMG1439.JPGKIMG1440.JPGKIMG1441.JPG

Top Bottom