2018 USNBE Display

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
This scroll was made for a bonsai artist that submitted their tree to the 2018 US National Bonsai Exhibition. I made this scroll of the painting she had done.Juniper + scroll +accent email_6036.jpgJuniper + scroll +accent email_6036.jpg

The bonsai artist that owns this tree sent me two Sumi she had done of some scenes inspired by Canyon de Chelly in Arizona. This area is located on Navajo lands. As a result I wanted to use cloths and symbolism for this area in the mounting.

The red chuumawashi (intermediate) cloth has a phoenix motif, but felt it would also translate into the Navajo legend of the thunderbird. The red color is also muted to match the sandstone in the area as well. It is hard to see, but the jikusaki are ceramic with deep earth brown and streaks of red to match the intermediate cloth. The light golds of the ichimonji and Ten/Chi were also used to accentuate the colors you would see in this geographical location.

I appreciate it when bonsai artists allow me to work with them on their displays.

Top Bottom