2019 From seed

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We're rounding the corner of the end of the growing season in my neck of the woods, so I figured I'd get my seeds for next year stratified early. So far I'm trying

Pond cypress
More bald Cypress
Trident maple
Japanese larch
Eastern larch
Costal redwood
Some crab apple I started late\early
Maybe some giant Sequoia
And some rose hips just for fun
That's all at the moment

Anyone else already prepping next year's seeds?
What the rest of ya planning on growing?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
miiiiiiiiiiiight do white or black spruce from seed. If someone twists my arm hard enough. Hoping to find cheap plugs before that though

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm going to grow the JPB seeds for the contest (the 5 year contest for me), still need to make my
Planning on another batch of American persimmon, Diospyros virginiana. Already have a few at 6 years old, about 12 at 3 years old and 25 at one summer old.

Apricots, I'm starting some of the type raised for fruit, grocery store bonsai.
I have 2 American persimmon I started this spring, could you post some pics of yours so I have an idea of what mine may look like in time?

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Collected some larch and dogwood seeds.

That will be all for next year. Already got a bunch of seedlings from this year to take care of...

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’d like to try princess persimmon and zelkova but only if I can source fresh seed. Sheffield’s zelkova seeds are last years batch.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’d like to try princess persimmon and zelkova but only if I can source fresh seed. Sheffield’s zelkova seeds are last years batch.
I use tree seeds.com for my seeds an had a high successful rate. They have Japanese zelkova and princess persimmon

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Collected some larch and dogwood seeds.

That will be all for next year. Already got a bunch of seedlings from this year to take care of...
Ok, I lied, I ordered some corck oak acorns yesterday, totally forgot about that :)

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We're rounding the corner of the end of the growing season in my neck of the woods, so I figured I'd get my seeds for next year stratified early. So far I'm trying

Pond cypress
More bald Cypress
Trident maple
Japanese larch
Eastern larch
Costal redwood
Some crab apple I started late\early
Maybe some giant Sequoia
And some rose hips just for fun
That's all at the moment

Anyone else already prepping next year's seeds?
What the rest of ya planning on growing?
Do you have prior success with Larch in your area? Seems like it might be tough for them to thrive down there.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am probably doing the following:

prunus Mume.. (this is the definite one i am starting this coming yr, this is my big seed project for upcoming year) possible some other prunus species also.
More Japanese Maples
Trident Maple

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@BonsaiNaga13 been growing american larch for a few years with no problems. Japanese and european larch are a little more heat tolerant, but I like natives. During the heat of the summer (2 weeks-ish) I keep them in part shade. and you HAVE to make sure they get plenty of dormancy. I winter mine on the ground outside and they love it. I have been told by talented artists that larch won't grow in my area but I'm having no problems at all. In time my trees may weaken and die but they don't show nay signs of it currently. If you're not dead set on natives I'd definitely do something more heat tolerant but I think L. laricina will be fine. Time will tell for me/us. If I'm not mistaken one or two members here are growing them in zone 7a but I don't know for how long. Sometimes trees can seem okay for years outside their "zones" but will eventually get beat up. You can usually see it coming, at least with warm weather trees grown to far North, I'm not sure about the reverse yet

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@BonsaiNaga13 been growing american larch for a few years with no problems. Japanese and european larch are a little more heat tolerant, but I like natives. During the heat of the summer (2 weeks-ish) I keep them in part shade. and you HAVE to make sure they get plenty of dormancy. I winter mine on the ground outside and they love it. I have been told by talented artists that larch won't grow in my area but I'm having no problems at all. In time my trees may weaken and die but they don't show nay signs of it currently. If you're not dead set on natives I'd definitely do something more heat tolerant but I think L. laricina will be fine. Time will tell for me/us. If I'm not mistaken one or two members here are growing them in zone 7a but I don't know for how long. Sometimes trees can seem okay for years outside their "zones" but will eventually get beat up. You can usually see it coming, at least with warm weather trees grown to far North, I'm not sure about the reverse yet
I have 2 young Japanese Larch here in MD. But it's my first year with them so I have nothing to compare to. I bought them young and cheap to experiment with. Time will tell if they can survive my climate over the years. I think it was RockM here on the forum who is in this area and reported that his gradually died due to the climate.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@W3rk I'm certainly skirting the limits of it all. I friggin love my larch though. I may pick up some japanese seedlings just as back up if the american start to fail. I have read that jap. larch will be fine into zone 7 though. And you're on the cooler side of it. I think more than anything it's about chill hours, and I think minimum temps (how we define zones) don't always show all facts in terms of first and last frost dates. A long mild winter registers just the same as a short intensely cold one would in terms of USDA zones

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I will try some chinese elm seeds. I also have trident maple seeds but now I'm not sure about them, it is better to focus on what I really like.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have 2 young Japanese Larch here in MD. But it's my first year with them so I have nothing to compare to. I bought them young and cheap to experiment with. Time will tell if they can survive my climate over the years. I think it was RockM here on the forum who is in this area and reported that his gradually died due to the climate.

I dont know their chill hour requirements but we got a plenty long winter, the early birds wake up in late march ish. I'll probably do partial shade also around july. The site I ordered from said western larch grows in zones 5-7 and Japanese larch in zones 4-7 so I'm optimistic. I really wanna try Montezuma Cypress from seed or seedlings but idk how they'd do in my zone. I'm currently deciding how to over winter my pines for the contest my cypress from this year and a few apple seedlings. This is going into my second year, my first year all I had were a lot of different Willow species from cutting and some of em died over winter some died early spring, all that survived were several white Willow and a weeping willow. I planted plenty of everything so if only half survived id still have a good amount to mess around with.

Top Bottom