2021 Collected Utahs

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I notice you got them all in pots. Were these dug out of soil? As opposed to cracks.
They look like they will be projects.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yes, out of the ground and that is how most trees are collected in the wild anyways, the ones out of a crack or wedged between huge rocks are more rarely collected. If I did get one from that scenario, it would still be in one of those nursery cans for the collection process the next 3 to 5 years. Every tree is a project in its own right, that what makes it fun right :D 😊
Thanks.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice trees. That last one is killer. I got two Utah's myself a few weeks ago. A week before all the snow hit so I feel lucky about that.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice junipers. There are some awesome Utah’s out on the Western Slope on some BLM land where I mountain bike, this thread reminds me that I need to work on getting a permit(s) for next spring 😬

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks! Great, definitely get the permit as soon as you can, so worth it! Do you have any in your collection now?

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks Leo! Appreciate that, some I keep, and most will be for sale after the collection process, so I know they are stable.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Arnold here asking the questions I didn't dare to ask. Give us a number crunch!

Sweet trees man!

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
What percentage of survivors you have? you usually keep them with original foliage or graft with itoigawa?
For 2021, so far I am between 75 and 80 percent, because I am still not to far out from my last collected bunch, the numbers might change slightly in the end, but they do look healthy and I feel good about them all making it.

total # of trees for 2021 = 23
Alive and healthy = 18
Ones with the bonsai gods = 5

No grafting yet, I am going on my fourth season and haven't even worked on any that I am keeping personally yet. 😊
Only trimmed up and down potted a few so far, but nothing to serious on styling yet, hopefully next year will be the year I can get into it a little bit more.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I appreciate how hard it is to find trees that are small enough to be collected, but large enough to have character. Once cleaned up these trees will really shine!

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I appreciate how hard it is to find trees that are small enough to be collected, but large enough to have character. Once cleaned up these trees will really shine!
The fun of the hunt is to try and find trees with movement, but you are right Mr. Nut, most of the little ones we do come across are like Christmas trees, straight as an arrow, which makes it exciting you can say when you do come across a really nice tree after looking for over an hour :D

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Nice thread, I'm going out best for a collection trip in May 2022.

Any advice for my first west coast collection trip?

My only experience is in Colorado, Wyoming, and South Dakota.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice thread, I'm going out best for a collection trip in May 2022.

Any advice for my first west coast collection trip?

My only experience is in Colorado, Wyoming, and South Dakota.
Are you going with a group? My best advice if you are going for Utah Junipers, is try your best to maintain a root ball with the dirt, if it crumbles away, maintain as main roots as you can and submerge it in water asap. Also, spray the foliage of your collected trees as much as you can until you can get them home and get them in some type of misting system.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Are you going with a group? My best advice if you are going for Utah Junipers, is try your best to maintain a root ball with the dirt, if it crumbles away, maintain as main roots as you can and submerge it in water asap. Also, spray the foliage of your collected trees as much as you can until you can get them home and get them in some type of misting system.
Yes I'm flying to Reno and meeting up with a bnut + some others.

Thanks for the advice about the misting and misting system.

I build a misting tent this year.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

2022 COLLECTED UTAHS​

Picked these up last weekend, got a good range in trees, from large ones to baby ones, potted and under the misters.
IMG_2902.jpgIMG_2903.jpgIMG_2904.jpgIMG_2906.jpgIMG_2907.jpgIMG_2909.jpgIMG_2913.jpgIMG_2911.jpgIMG_2915.jpg

Top Bottom