2021 Five Year Native Tree Challenge: Illex Vomitoria 'Schilling's Dwarf' - Florida

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Illex Vomitoria 'Schilling's Dwarf', native stock nursery purchased from South Seminole Farm & Nursery, East Lake Drive, Casselberry, FL, for US$28.50

The first image is of the tree in a 7 gallon pot, purchased about a week ago (Jan-2021)
The second image is a detail of the trunk, it is about 2" when I measure it with a ruler, but in my eyes is about 5".
The third picture is my inspiration, the Tree of Disney Life Animal Kingdom tree, which looks like a giant bonsai, also a Florida Native since it is located in Africa-Florida.

This week (maybe Today) I'll dig into the soil to see if it has a bit more flare to it under the soil line.
I hope the 5 year time frame will give me enough time to find a pot for this tree.

Attachments

• Illex-vomitoria-schillings-dwarf 7 gallon.JPG
    Illex-vomitoria-schillings-dwarf 7 gallon.JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Illex-vomitoria-schillings-dwarf trunk detail.JPG
    Illex-vomitoria-schillings-dwarf trunk detail.JPG
    275 KB · Views: 32
  • Disney_Animal_Kingdom_Tree-of-Life-Wikipedia-(27589660700).jpg
    Disney_Animal_Kingdom_Tree-of-Life-Wikipedia-(27589660700).jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 35

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I uncovered a bit of the top soil and started with some branch selection to get this one started in his (the 'Schilling's Dwarf' are all male plants). There is an eyesore branch in between the two main ones, and I am leaving it there in the hopes that I can let it grow wild during the 4 years and it may reach some decent girth. This is to prevent a "Larry the Stooge" look.

Attachments

• File_002 (1).jpeg
    File_002 (1).jpeg
    370.2 KB · Views: 26
  • File_003.jpeg
    File_003.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 21
  • larry stooge hairdo.jpg
    larry stooge hairdo.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 29

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You actually want a branch to come from a little higher up on either the left or right trunk. The eyesore is too close to the "crotch" of the 2 main branches. The eyesore needs to go. "Shilling's Dwarf' back buds well enough that you should get branching high enough to not be in "the crotch", but low enough to fill the gap. You are right, the negative space needs filling, but the fill needs to come from higher up, rather than the "unit" between the legs of the trunk.

Other than that, This is a very nice size trunk, a good find for nursery material. Really a good start.

Top Bottom