2021 Forest From Seed(ling) 8 (or 6) Year Contest

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
2021 Forest From Seed(ling) 8 (or 6) Year Contest
This will be a contest with two independent divisions, both may begin on or after December 15th, 2020.
  • In the "sapling" division, contestants may begin with trees that are up to 10 years old and the contest will finish on December 31, 2027
  • In the "from seed" division, contestants must begin with seeds and the contest will finish on December 31, 2029

Common Guidelines applying to both divisions
  1. Contestants may participate in one or both divisions, but each planting may only belong to a single division
  2. Contestants may start as many plantings as they like, but must choose one to submit for final judging per division
  3. Any species of plant are allowed
  4. You can mix species within a single planting if you like
  5. There must be at least four individual plants in the final planting. A clump (one plant with multiple trunks) is ok to include within your planting, but each clump only counts as one plant. There is no maximum number of individuals per planting
  6. You may move, add, or subtract trees to your planting at any time, but they must comply with the rules of the division (see more in division specific rules below)
  7. You must document the forest at least yearly and also after any re-arrangements or major work (e.g. wiring several trees).
  8. While late entries are permitted, a thread with pictures must have begun at least 2 years prior to that particular division's end date in order to be in the running for voting. Basically, I don't want to see a planting show up for final judging in the last year that we have never seen before.

Notes on judging and contest end (applies to both divisions)

9. While the contest is running, plants may be grown however you please (in ground, in pots, whatever). By December 31st of the year that your planting's division ends (2027/2029), you must submit up to three photographs (could be different angles or differently zoomed or even different seasons) of your forest in some form of container/slab/rock/pot. At least one of these photos must be from the final year of the contest for that planting.​

10. Voting will take place over 2 weeks in January following each division's end. Roughly from January 8th-22nd. I'm going see about lining up a potential tie-breaker judge in case that is needed.​
11. Stands, companion plants, and/or moss are not necessary to include in the final pictures, but are encouraged.​
12. "Most pleasing forest" winner (1 per division) will be determined by popular vote. I will try to either find some prizes or will be happy to pay shipping to send out prizes if people have something that they'd like to donate.​
13. There will also be a vote for "Most pleasing unconventional forest" (1 per division), but there might not be prizes for the winners here. "Most pleasing unconventional forest" is up to the voter to decide what that means...but some things that might qualify include mixed-species plantings, uncommon species for forest plantings, a unique use of a container.​
14. There will also be a vote for "Best documentation of their forest's progression" (1 per division), but there might not be prizes for the winners here.​
15. It is possible to win 2 or all of "Most pleasing forest," "Most pleasing unconventional forest," and "Best documentation of their forest's progression" within a division.​
16. This contest is mainly about learning, teaching, and sharing our forest plantings with each other. Keep your expectations low and assume that any prizes earned will be inexpensive...we'll see what I am able to find for it over the next few years. The main rewards should be knowledge, community support, a few celebratory GIFs, and maybe even a great forest or two for your bench.

Specific rules for the "From Seed Division"
A. You must take a picture of your future forest in seed form or seeds in tray form on or after December 15th, 2020. If you already sew them in the ground or a flat, that's ok, but include a photo of that space pre-germination.​
B. You may begin the process of germinating your seeds on or after December 15th, 2020 - after you have taken your first picture (A). This is defined as bringing the seeds up to germination temperature AND putting them into some kind of moist substrate that they can grow in.​
C. You may add additional seedlings to your forest at future timepoints, but these seedlings must have been either germinated from seed on December 15, 2020 or later -OR- you may also use cuttings/layers from a parent tree that was germinated on December 15, 2020 or later.​
D. You may begin multiple forests and document each within their own thread, but you must choose one forest's thread to submit for the final judging.​
E. Entitle your threads, "From Seed Division: ____"(include your username and then species or whatever else you would like to include to describe your thread)​
F. You must submit up to three photos for final judging by December 31st, 2029. Judging of compositions from this division will take place during the second week of January 2030 and will have a greater focus on the arrangement and potential of the forest rather than maturity.​

Specific rules for the "Sapling Division"

G. You may not use a forest that you have already assembled prior to December 15th, 2020.​
H. You may use trees that you already own or that you collect, but they must comply with the other guidelines​
I. On December 15, 2020 (or at the point that that particular plant enters the contest or your planting), all plants used must be less than 10 years old (to the best of your knowledge) and with a maximum trunk caliper (per individual plant or clump) of 2.5 inches (6.35 cm). Trunk caliper should be measured 2 inches above the soil line or highest surface root (whichever is higher).​
J. You must take a picture of your saplings un-assembled (either in separate containers or bare-rooted or separately growing in the ground) at some point on or after December 15, 2020.​
K. You may add additional saplings to your forest at future timepoints, but these must comply with guideline I (above).​
L. You may begin multiple forests and document each within their own thread, but you must choose one forest's thread to submit for the final judging.​
M. Entitle your threads, "Sapling Division: _________"(include your username and then species or whatever else you would like to include to describe your thread).​
N. You must submit up to three photos by December 31st, 2027 in order to be eligible for final judging. Judging of compositions from this division will take place during the second week of January 2028.​

You can post any questions in this thread or PM me.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is there some kind of official signup list for participants, or does each participant just start a thread and spend the next few years documenting?

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is there some kind of official signup list for participants, or does each participant just start a thread and spend the next few years documenting?
Just start a thread and document. Hopefully, we can get a sub-forum within this contest forum in the not-too-distant future.

But, if anyone would like to share what they are thinking about putting together, feel free to post those ideas here!
I'll start!

From Seed division
Bald Cypress
Styrax Japonica
malus sp. (crabapple)

Sapling division
Korean Hornbeam
Pinus echinata

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a bunch of wild ironwood seedlings I was already planning to assemble into a forest planting, along with some sweet gum, eastern red cedar, and holly, all growing wild within three or four yards/meters of the ironwood seedlings. Plus, I have a bunch of ginkgo seeds I plan to sow this spring, and I could use a few of them for the see division.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Specific rules for the "From Seed Division"
A. You must take a picture of your future forest in seed form or seeds in tray form on or after December 15th, 2020. If you already sew them in the ground or a flat, that's ok, but include a photo of that space pre-germination.​
B. You may begin the process of germinating your seeds on or after December 15th, 2020 - after you have taken your first picture (A). This is defined as bringing the seeds up to germination temperature AND putting them into some kind of moist substrate that they can grow in.​

Ack!!! I saw this too late!

I already have a thread on a dawn redwood shohin forest I started 10/24/2020:

They've already germinated! They have leaves!

I have also just started a mixed redwood forest planting on 11/14/2020. These haven't germinated yet...but it's only been 3 days ;)

I have a pot of mixed redwoods for spares for either of those forests that were started some day in between...I forget exactly, I didn't take pictures or make note of that planting. Many of those have also already germinated.

Sigh...I'd start over after the 12/15/2020 date, but I used up my current dawn redwood seed supply and Sheffield's is currently out of stock :( Running low on coast redwood and sequoia seed now too...

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ack!!! I saw this too late!

I already have a thread on a dawn redwood shohin forest I started 10/24/2020:

They've already germinated! They have leaves!

I have also just started a mixed redwood forest planting on 11/14/2020. These haven't germinated yet...but it's only been 3 days ;)

I have a pot of mixed redwoods for spares for either of those forests that were started some day in between...I forget exactly, I didn't take pictures or make note of that planting. Many of those have also already germinated.

Sigh...I'd start over after the 12/15/2020 date, but I used up my current dawn redwood seed supply and Sheffield's is currently out of stock :( Running low on coast redwood and sequoia seed now too...
I’ll allow the mixed redwood planting to join for the contest. Quick take a picture before it germinates!

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I’m definitely gonna join with my Maples seeds I have. I’m a beginner but I love art and I hope I can go on an amazing journey and show you what I can make and what other people will

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ll allow the mixed redwood planting to join for the contest. Quick take a picture before it germinates!

Hehe...I'm already bending the rules a bit on one of my entries in the 5yr native tree challenge: one of my entries there is technically ~20 miles outside the allowed distance :( Here, I'd be bending the rules by ~30 days :( I'm such a renegade...

I do have pictures of all but my "backup" planting...I sowed a side planting for "extras" to fill in a couple of main plantings over time if needed.

20201114_091146.jpg 20201114_101123.jpg

The colored bits are broken toothpicks to help me keep track of what is planted where until things get going. Yellow: dawn, red: coastal, blue: sequoia. Way over planted as seed is getting old and germination rates can be low to begin with...

Mostly I had seed left over from previous projects and thought I'd trying to grow a young forest just to futz around. Maybe I'll enter it. Maybe I'll just follow along ;) I was hoping to start a progress thread under the forests forum once I was sure I had enough seed germinate and get to a safe size to be worth continuing with.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hehe...I'm already bending the rules a bit on one of my entries in the 5yr native tree challenge: one of my entries there is technically ~20 miles outside the allowed distance :( Here, I'd be bending the rules by ~30 days :( I'm such a renegade...

I do have pictures of all but my "backup" planting...I sowed a side planting for "extras" to fill in a couple of main plantings over time if needed.

View attachment 340201 View attachment 340200

The colored bits are broken toothpicks to help me keep track of what is planted where until things get going. Yellow: dawn, red: coastal, blue: sequoia. Way over planted as seed is getting old and germination rates can be low to begin with...

Mostly I had seed left over from previous projects and thought I'd trying to grow a young forest just to futz around. Maybe I'll enter it. Maybe I'll just follow along ;) I was hoping to start a progress thread under the forests forum once I was sure I had enough seed germinate and get to a safe size to be worth continuing with.
As I'm thinking about it...it's probably a good idea to have everyone in the "From Seed" Division keep all their seed projects in a single thread for the first year or so. Otherwise, I'm sure we'll get a lot of "here's documentation of the seeds going into the soil and....never popping up / eaten by chipmunks / peed on by the neighbor's cat." Then they can make separate threads for stuff that survives the first year.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As I'm thinking about it...it's probably a good idea to have everyone in the "From Seed" Division keep all their seed projects in a single thread for the first year or so. Otherwise, I'm sure we'll get a lot of "here's documentation of the seeds going into the soil and....never popping up / eaten by chipmunks / peed on by the neighbor's cat." Then they can make separate threads for stuff that survives the first year.
Anything "from seed" is going to have a lot of attrition, I fear. From seed is not always easy even for veteran growers...the margin for error can be quite small for many species. Although I've done it many times, I'm not sure I will have a decent enough crop of seedlings to to continue with even now.

Starting from seed also makes it much more accessible to people trying to grow from seed the first time. That's great in that it invites a lot of people in! It's risky in that some of those may not realize what they are buying into yet.

The scientist in me says there is value even in negative results. One thing this site lacks is an example base of why certain things are discouraged. People talk about oaks taking too long to mature, but there are very few threads demonstrating the process from seed through to 10-15 years to demonstrate what is realistic over that time frame that we can point people to to say: here is reality...are you in for this?

I always thought these sorts of long running contests should be ongoing things. As long as you can demonstrate you began with qualifying material on a date and document progress on that material at least yearly from that date to some date that is +n years in the future, you have an entry. That allows people who missed deadlines to still play. The rules for grooming a "winner" need to change some. Maybe something like every December the forum re-evaluates all previous entries that completed x years against all new entries that have now completed x years. That I started in 2021 shouldn't matter. That I started with qualifying material and ended with a result 6 years later is what should matter. The trick is in how to groom the finished entries.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That’s what I was wondering.
@ 10 years, many trees are quite substantial. 🧐
Yes, but then you have to figure out how to arrange different sizes of trees, position them, wire or prune them so they all work together.
If you're interested to start with insubstantial material, then the "from seed" division is the one for you!

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Anything "from seed" is going to have a lot of attrition, I fear. From seed is not always easy even for veteran growers...the margin for error can be quite small for many species. Although I've done it many times, I'm not sure I will have a decent enough crop of seedlings to to continue with even now.

Starting from seed also makes it much more accessible to people trying to grow from seed the first time. That's great in that it invites a lot of people in! It's risky in that some of those may not realize what they are buying into yet.

The scientist in me says there is value even in negative results. One thing this site lacks is an example base of why certain things are discouraged. People talk about oaks taking too long to mature, but there are very few threads demonstrating the process from seed through to 10-15 years to demonstrate what is realistic over that time frame that we can point people to to say: here is reality...are you in for this?

I always thought these sorts of long running contests should be ongoing things. As long as you can demonstrate you began with qualifying material on a date and document progress on that material at least yearly from that date to some date that is +n years in the future, you have an entry. That allows people who missed deadlines to still play. The rules for grooming a "winner" need to change some. Maybe something like every December the forum re-evaluates all previous entries that completed x years against all new entries that have now completed x years. That I started in 2021 shouldn't matter. That I started with qualifying material and ended with a result 6 years later is what should matter. The trick is in how to groom the finished entries.
All good points. I'm totally on board with people documenting their failures. That was part of my motivation for having separate voting categories for most unique forest planting and best documentation.

As far as the ongoing contest, I think that's a great idea, but I wouldn't want to organize or be in charge of judging/setting up voting for the winners on a rolling basis...maybe in 30 years when I retire and don't have two young kids to raise.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m assuming we should wait until after the 15th to create a thread in the contests area, since you want the initial three pictures taken between the 15th and 31st?

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m assuming we should wait until after the 15th to create a thread in the contests area, since you want the initial three pictures taken between the 15th and 31st?
Yes, let's wait until December 15 to start up some threads. To clarify, you just need a single picture of your starting material (per future forest) - taken any time after December 15, 2020. This could be in March 2022, for example, if that's when you start your seeds or working on your saplings.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've been thinking about attempting to put together a really gnarled, creepy looking forest using some type of corked bark elm or maple. I feel like the majestic, tall forest has been done a lot.

I'll have to see if any of my arakawa cuttings survive the winter or if I can get some root cuttings to strike from my 'hokkaido' chinese elm next spring.

Top Bottom