5a
Push the trigger...

Pull the thread.....

Take it on the Othersiiiide....

I am PUMPED!

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Oooweee. I’ve been slightly AWOL for a while (photos and updates to follow at some point) so this is a nice surprise of a thread to discover and after some autumn trips to various arboretums I have a bumper collection of assorted seeds ready to throw their hat in the ring. I’m in!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Oooweee. I’ve been slightly AWOL for a while (photos and updates to follow at some point) so this is a nice surprise of a thread to discover and after some autumn trips to various arboretums I have a bumper collection of assorted seeds ready to throw their hat in the ring. I’m in!
Nice to see you, friend!... make sure you hit up the “can we get a safety check-in?” Thread!

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ack!!! I saw this too late!

I already have a thread on a dawn redwood shohin forest I started 10/24/2020:

They've already germinated! They have leaves!

I have also just started a mixed redwood forest planting on 11/14/2020. These haven't germinated yet...but it's only been 3 days ;)

I have a pot of mixed redwoods for spares for either of those forests that were started some day in between...I forget exactly, I didn't take pictures or make note of that planting. Many of those have also already germinated.

Sigh...I'd start over after the 12/15/2020 date, but I used up my current dawn redwood seed supply and Sheffield's is currently out of stock :( Running low on coast redwood and sequoia seed now too...
@Kanorin,
You state the seeds should be sown after December 15, 2020? How about ones that have either been sown in ground or stratification was started before that date as many of us may have done so?
Cheers
Gman

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Kanorin,
You state the seeds should be sown after December 15, 2020? How about ones that have either been sown in ground or stratification was started before that date as many of us may have done so?
Cheers
Gman
There are two rules clarifications that I'll bring up - hopefully one or both will help clear it up.
  • You were not supposed to start germinating the seeds prior to December 15, 2020. If the seeds were sown but are dormant in the cold ground or cold fridge, you are totally fine! For example, I've had a bunch of seeds in the fridge since Sep/Oct, but I didn't bring them up to germination temperature until a few days ago.
  • Even if you did accidentally or intentionally start some seeds that started growing prior to December 15, 2020 (Going back as far as July 1st 2020 I think I said) you can still take part in the contest, but I'll just ask you to submit your final contest entry pictures X days early, where X is the number of days prior to December 15, 2020 that your seeds sprouted (best estimate is fine).
Feel free to start up a thread and take some pictures of your seeds and seedlings wherever they are at.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I've been looking but can't find the original contest thread with the rules help please

First post in this thread on page 1 I believe is what you are after.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Are we defining saplings as a woody plant or would succulents like jade or elephants foot be allowed?
And pushing the question even further how about Arecaceae family?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Are we defining saplings as a woody plant or would succulents like jade or elephants foot be allowed?
I think, in the preliminary rules/guidelines... it says ANY SPECIES.. or that MAY be the “from seed” division.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you are asking whether Jade or Elephantsfoot can be used as bonsai. I think this is

1612973026024.png

Top Bottom