2021 Forest From Seed(ling) 8 (or 6) Year Contest

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Do you have any of these? I’m sure Nick, my good friend/brother/study group participant would enjoy seeing one that has had a few seasons treated like a “bonsai”.

🤓
Actually I meant to say elephants bush, portulacaria afra.
I do have a elephants foot in the yard though. Aside from moving it I haven´t considered that one.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I personally think it should be wood hardy because succulents and stuff like that aren’t bonsai . No one wires succulents and makes nice nebari lol. But you can try and see what happens

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well, Jelle.. it’s happening anyway! 🤣🤣

1612975908744.png
(I saved you a chair, friend, all are welcome bring your own snacks)

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are we defining saplings as a woody plant or would succulents like jade or elephants foot be allowed?
And pushing the question even further how about Arecaceae family?
Any and all plants are allowed!

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
But I will note that you’ll need people to vote for your creation to win. So it can be a risky business trying a species not typically used.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Proof is in the pudding?!
My Father would ALWAYS get pudding when we would dine at “Chinese Buffets” (A tradition of ours)

He would refer to it as, “The Ancient Dessert; Pu-Ding.”

🤣🤣🤣

P.s. I wonder how many will Google, “kê-tsiap”?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Not german, but I'll play. Beer und bratwurst.
Who could say no?

View attachment 353552
I’ll take a guess.. because we are friends.

The “white-guy” in me is Dutch (There’s also a smaller hunk that’s Serbian/Slovak.. if that’s “white-guy). I’ve seen the name “Jelle” before in THAT side’s photo albums.. so my guess is Dutch.. german-residing.

🤓

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As some of you know I usually grow quite a bit of stuff from seed each year, around 10-15 flats of jiffy pellets which translates into a shit load of seedlings. This year I decided not to do as much and concentrate my efforts more on the stuff I already have. With that being said I am still planning to doing around 6 flats which translates into 432 seedlings if they all come up, but we all know that never happens. I can say for the most part over the years I have been pretty lucky with stratification and germination on most seeds. But trident maple has not been one of them. Each of the last two years I have collected hundreds of seed and ended up with just a few seedlings. I think 3 the year before last and about 7 last year. Now I think I have a tip to offer!

Usually there is a “from seed” thread each year, but I couldn’t find one this year. I did find y’all doing this from seed contest, so I figured I would share this here.

I stratify my seed in paper towels and plastic bag as many of you do. I keep the fridge I use at about 40 degrees. Here’s a mini tip I learned from @0soyoung, I spray my paper towel with 3% hydrogen peroxide and water mixture. I check my seed about every three weeks during stratification, and spray and redo my paper towel and plastic bag on any seeds that are moldy. I have three bags this year.
36310359-FFC1-437D-B1FD-14CF4BAA013D.jpeg

AE7D75E1-7024-4262-AE56-EE27CFB00EF2.jpeg
In the past with other species, I have left them in the fridge past the determined stratification period until they have germinated. That way you get about 100% success rate on the seed you plant.

Now is where the tip comes in. The seeds above were done with their 90 day stratification a couple of weeks ago and as usual (at least for me) none of them had sprouted. So this year I decided to do something different. Two weeks ago I started setting them out of the fridge during the day from about 8am to 3pm every day. I didn’t inspect them or even crack the plastic until yesterday where I found about 10 had germinated and I planted those. I put the rest back in the fridge and continued the same routine.
DE1CFB73-9252-40CF-8150-3AE11FFC158F.jpeg
My wife starts a lot of her flowers from seed under grow lights like I do my seedlings. Today we discussed how she was going to have more room this year because I was not doing as much as I usually do. I showed her how I had done the trident seed and open a package and found about 12 more that had sprouted over night! I will continue this process daily and see how it turns out. She may not have as much room as I thought. 😃
E7A16C78-9CB8-40E4-886E-98916E9CF9CC.jpeg
Now some of you may already know about this technique and just say “duh!” but I didn’t, so I thought I would share.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As some of you know I usually grow quite a bit of stuff from seed each year, around 10-15 flats of jiffy pellets which translates into a shit load of seedlings. This year I decided not to do as much and concentrate my efforts more on the stuff I already have. With that being said I am still planning to doing around 6 flats which translates into 432 seedlings if they all come up, but we all know that never happens. I can say for the most part over the years I have been pretty lucky with stratification and germination on most seeds. But trident maple has not been one of them. Each of the last two years I have collected hundreds of seed and ended up with just a few seedlings. I think 3 the year before last and about 7 last year. Now I think I have a tip to offer!

Usually there is a “from seed” thread each year, but I couldn’t find one this year. I did find y’all doing this from seed contest, so I figured I would share this here.

I stratify my seed in paper towels and plastic bag as many of you do. I keep the fridge I use at about 40 degrees. Here’s a mini tip I learned from @0soyoung, I spray my paper towel with 3% hydrogen peroxide and water mixture. I check my seed about every three weeks during stratification, and spray and redo my paper towel and plastic bag on any seeds that are moldy. I have three bags this year.
View attachment 354150

View attachment 354151
In the past with other species, I have left them in the fridge past the determined stratification period until they have germinated. That way you get about 100% success rate on the seed you plant.

Now is where the tip comes in. The seeds above were done with their 90 day stratification a couple of weeks ago and as usual (at least for me) none of them had sprouted. So this year I decided to do something different. Two weeks ago I started setting them out of the fridge during the day from about 8am to 3pm every day. I didn’t inspect them or even crack the plastic until yesterday where I found about 10 had germinated and I planted those. I put the rest back in the fridge and continued the same routine.
View attachment 354152
My wife starts a lot of her flowers from seed under grow lights like I do my seedlings. Today we discussed how she was going to have more room this year because I was not doing as much as I usually do. I showed her how I had done the trident seed and open a package and found about 12 more that had sprouted over night! I will continue this process daily and see how it turns out. She may not have as much room as I thought. 😃
View attachment 354153
Now some of you may already know about this technique and just say “duh!” but I didn’t, so I thought I would share.

My habit is to take them out of the cold strat and set them out overnight every week or every other week. The cold/warm cycle weakens the seed coats so moisture can get in.

As they start to sprout roots, I'll plant them out but put the rest back in the cold. Whatever has sprouted roots next time, I move out and put the rest back in the cold, etc...

I find this method very effective for tridents especially :) but it works for most. Doing 6 different species of larch at the moment :D

Top Bottom