2021 Forest From Seed(ling) 8 (or 6) Year Contest

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How are your styrax seed doing? I was checking mine for mold and I have 17 that have germinated. I went ahead got those in jiffy pellets. June 1 will be 120 cold strat.
None of my styrax seeds germinated this year. I suspect I didn't give them enough warm stratification before going to cold. So they've been hanging out outside all summer - I'll see if any pop up next spring.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Got some oranges today. I’m going to attempt an orange grove

Not sure if I should plant in seedling tray or do the wet paper towel trick. I think they may take a month to sprout

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Fun, I have a perfect thing for this!
I have slowly over the last few years set aside volunteers that i find in my pots, flower baskets and elsewhere on my property. Usually these are from the massive Douglas Fir, redwood, mountain ash or native willows I have on the property. A few weeks ago I finally sorted a handful of redwood? Into a forest arraignment with the plan of continuing to add more as the years go on to increase the age and size difference represented.

I plan to do a few more forests, I have a few flats full of strange mystery sprouts and seedling volunteers. So I may go in a few directions for the first year and see which ones excite me further on.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I also have about 400 JP seedlings i got at just sprouted 1-2 leaf infants about 4 years ago and now are a bush little carpet nagging to have a better life. Been slowly separating, sorting, and marking ones that have interesting qualities (so impressive the variety coming from a single seed source!) was thinking of doing a trunk fusion project with a large handful of them. Maybe I will also do a forest or two.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Forest creation season is approaching in the northern hemisphere. Get excited!
My poms on a slab are just waking up from my simulated tropical winter.. I will get a picture soon.

For my seedlings.. I have decided to use a handful of my Recently Rabbit Pruned "Rubrum Selects".. if they survive... damnit, Bugs. (the Bunny)

🤓

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Good morning everyone!
I was wondering if I could still enter this contest. I planted these on February 14th 2021.
I was about to transplant the seedlings into a bigger pot (individually) when i ran into this contest.
Below is the link to my original post regarding the seedlings.

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/local-pines-spring-2021.49680/

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Good morning everyone!
I was wondering if I could still enter this contest. I planted these on February 14th 2021.
I was about to transplant the seedlings into a bigger pot (individually) when i ran into this contest.
Below is the link to my original post regarding the seedlings.

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/local-pines-spring-2021.49680/
From what it sounds, yeah it's acceptable material, and "later" entries are of course welcome!

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Kanorin in some thread i was reading yesterday you said we were welcome to still join in on this....

i planted seeds from my crab apple two years ago and i got quite a few of them wich i actualy was thinking of throwing them away....
now i see this contest and maybe i can use them as a apple forrest just for fun if its ok ill join in...

20220313_124753.jpg

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Kanorin in some thread i was reading yesterday you said we were welcome to still join in on this....

i planted seeds from my crab apple two years ago and i got quite a few of them wich i actualy was thinking of throwing them away....
now i see this contest and maybe i can use them as a apple forrest just for fun if its ok ill join in...

View attachment 424154
Cool, you can join! If the seeds sprouted before December 2020, put them in the sapling division. If after, they can be in the “from seed” division.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cool, you can join! If the seeds sprouted before December 2020, put them in the sapling division. If after, they can be in the “from seed” division.
Tbh i dont know exactly what year they sprouted so ill put them up for sapling division ill make a thread shortly

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll be joining in on this contest. I plan on gathering my seeds this autumn with germination next spring.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Planning to update my forest threads in the next 2 months with some fall color shots and/or winter silhouette shots. This is the accountability reminder post, lol.

Top Bottom