2021 National Bonsai Exhibition - Sept 11-12

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This isn't my video, but he deserves praise for taking the time documenting the show for us. He also has a killer Japanese Maple on display there.

Hey why's this guy allowed to take pictures but not me?

Is it simply so that I'll buy the book? Or is it something else? I thought photography was kinda the whole point.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Is it simply so that I'll buy the book? Or is it something else? I thought photography was kinda the whole point.
Looks like the only video he has is of his own tree and the sales area. He doesn’t show any of the trees exhibited.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

I was disappointed by the "no photography" rule. Studying pictures is one of the ways I learn plus I'd like to be able to relive the experience.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What a great event. Congrats to Bill and crew for another successful US National. Somehow they always find a way to pull it off!

Great seeing a good many of you BNuts at the event and admiring some of your trees on display. @JudyB 's tree was by far one of my favorites in the show. Well done! Not many delicate trees, like Judy's, make it into the exhibit. Hoping to see even more deciduous next time!

@Brian Van Fleet three point composition was displayed very well and his trident on rock was also among my favorites in the deciduous category.

I had the good fortune of meeting and spending some time with upcoming star ceramicist Nao Tokutake (@NaoTK).

Congrats to all that displayed their trees and the award winners.

BTW, Suthin has become the Merryl Streep of the bonsai world. He won again best in snow with an impressive itoigawa! 😱 Come on man give someone else a chance. I thought he was retiring! 😂

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I saw plenty of phones clicking away. View attachment 397458

There was a lot of mixed messaging at the entrance. One woman was saying no photos at all - I think this may have been Bill's wife, who I didn't know yet. Then everyone else seemed to be saying some version of "it's fine with no flash" or "it's OK if you just use your phone". Then someone who is good enough at bonsai to actually have a display told me to respect the signs, and I decided I didn't want to raise the issue much further.

I'm told the book supports the ability to keep having the show, so that's enough for me until I'm told otherwise.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There was a lot of mixed messaging at the entrance. One woman was saying no photos at all - I think this may have been Bill's wife, who I didn't know yet. Then everyone else seemed to be saying some version of "it's fine with no flash" or "it's OK if you just use your phone". Then someone who is good enough at bonsai to actually have a display told me to respect the signs, and I decided I didn't want to raise the issue much further.

I'm told the book supports the ability to keep having the show, so that's enough for me until I'm told otherwise.

I haven't been involved in show set up or "security" for a few years but generally the rule is no photos of the trees except that you can take a photo of your own trees/exhibits.

That said, there are others who will be taking photos -

1) Those responsible for taking trees into the photo studio will sometimes take a picture of the set up, especially if it is a shohin display. This way we (I was involved one year) know exactly how the display is set up so it can be reconstructed for the photo, and then put back correctly when done. Sometimes the artists will come along when the photo is being taken, that makes it a lot easier.

2) Bill usually does appoint a few photographers to walk around and take photos of the event.

Otherwise you should respect the request for no photos regardless of what people say. The signs are there for a reason.

And the exhibition book is definitely worth the price - it is beautifully done, the photos are top notch and there is interesting information about each tree/display.

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Rules and monetary support aside, I can think of a couple reasons why photos should be allowed:

1. The details are important for serious bonsai study. The album lacks detail shots of branching, the pot, etc. Artists should be encouraged to get in there and take close up shots for study. The Kokufu is fine with photos and they also have albums.

2. As i recall the commemorative albums don't show the whole display (accent plant, composition...) which is kind of important. They take the tree/stand off to a photo room.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Rules and monetary support aside, I can think of a couple reasons why photos should be allowed:

1. The details are important for serious bonsai study. The album lacks detail shots of branching, the pot, etc. Artists should be encouraged to get in there and take close up shots for study. The Kokufu is fine with photos and they also have albums.

2. As i recall the commemorative albums don't show the whole display (accent plant, composition...) which is kind of important. They take the tree/stand off to a photo room.
What they should actually do is sell a different colored pass (somewhat more expensive) that allows you to take photos. :)

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This has all been discussed before. I believe the main reasons for no photos are (1) to encourage purchase of the album and (2) to avoid cluttering up the aisles with people taking pictures.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am completely against the "no photos" rule generally, but Bill has to make decisions about how to finance it, and money talks. He's getting on in age and with the magazine evolving to online from print and changing the economic underpinning of the show, this is real money and the first time this show has to come out of his pocket will be the last time the show exists, so if he finances it with the book, so be it. There are always costs of arranging that people don't think about that have to be covered, and remember, this show had to be planned twice making for a certain amount of wasted time and cancellation costs, all of which is rolled into the burden of paying for The Show. Time is money, and we'll morn Bill's passing one day when the show may not go on.

Top Bottom