2021 National Bonsai Exhibition - Sept 11-12

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But what's the reason for the reason? So far no one has offered a guess.
The "no photos" thing was the rule at the largest bonsai exhibition in Japan--Tokufu. That policy changed in 2016

This event is the property of Bill Valavanis. The venue in which they are displayed is under his control. He puts together an album of the trees where the photos are professionally done. Among the other reasons is the one aimed at thefts. Thievery at area bonsai shows isn't unheard of. Photos appearing online can show off trees that can be targeted. That has happened in the past if I'm not mistaken at one shows load out...

Many museums have a "no photo" policy as well. Here's an explainer:

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think that having every person attempting to take pictures especially up close and details of tree interiors, is going to make it very hard to enjoy the show.
Also will make it dangerous for people getting too close to the trees and not being careful enough not to have an accident, or someone bumping into them, then chain reaction... Just try to go next time! 😁

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The "no photos" thing was the rule at the largest bonsai exhibition in Japan--Tokufu. That policy changed in 2016

This event is the property of Bill Valavanis. The venue in which they are displayed is under his control. He puts together an album of the trees where the photos are professionally done. Among the other reasons is the one aimed at thefts. Thievery at area bonsai shows isn't unheard of. Photos appearing online can show off trees that can be targeted. That has happened in the past if I'm not mistaken at one shows load out...

Many museums have a "no photo" policy as well. Here's an explainer:
I was wondering about reason #5 (copyright). I see no reason why you couldn't sue someone for copyright infringement for taking a picture of your tree (as a derivative work). But that's a good way to spoil the fun. :)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was wondering about reason #5 (copyright). I see no reason why you couldn't sue someone for copyright infringement for taking a picture of your tree (as a derivative work). But that's a good way to spoil the fun. :)
If it's a public show then the owner or authorities have to specifically prohibit photos, or it's public.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thievery at area bonsai shows isn't unheard of. Photos appearing online can show off trees that can be targeted. That has happened in the past if I'm not mistaken at one shows load out...

There was a rather nice tree that went missing (not a display tree). Not sure if it was found.

arjun

Yamadori
Reaction score
I am stoked to have made the pot for Dennis Vojtilla's Best Deciduous composition!

View attachment 397221

I also went to Bill's garden and picked up a tree. Sorry for the trouble TSA

View attachment 397222
It was my first nationals and it was so much fun!
I was very good and ended up buying only 1 pot by @NaoTK . My favorite American potter 🙌🏽
08AF9E31-F94C-4A54-A412-7681F5F80366.jpeg

also I will post another picture which I accidentally captured and it’s amazing. @Adair M
8C514079-E9BE-41AF-A4E6-C7BB3716AE03.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was my first nationals and it was so much fun!
I was very good and ended up buying only 1 pot by @NaoTK . My favorite American potter 🙌🏽
View attachment 397588

also I will post another picture which I accidentally captured and it’s amazing. @Adair M
View attachment 397589
Yeah his pots are truly incredible. Just the shapes alone are fresh to the death, but the glazes just add to the quality. I figured Adair was a bit crazy. 😂

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Does it really matter? By purchasing admission and entering the show you are agreeing to the rules...which include no photos.
strange the winter silhouette lets you take photos and is put on by Bill

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What they should actually do is sell a different colored pass (somewhat more expensive) that allows you to take photos. :)
no they shouldn't. Us photographers should have the ability to take photos after the public are let out. I take photos of all the other shows and it is such a pain in the ass when people are around. In knoxville I had 8 different people walk into one of my shots. Thankfully I didn't go to Nationals I would have raised hell if I drove halfway across the country and was told I couldn't take photos.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
strange the winter silhouette lets you take photos and is put on by Bill

Bill does not "put on" the winter silhouette show (though he is demo-ing there this year). Another organization does that one.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am completely against the "no photos" rule generally, but Bill has to make decisions about how to finance it, and money talks. He's getting on in age and with the magazine evolving to online from print and changing the economic underpinning of the show, this is real money and the first time this show has to come out of his pocket will be the last time the show exists, so if he finances it with the book, so be it. There are always costs of arranging that people don't think about that have to be covered, and remember, this show had to be planned twice making for a certain amount of wasted time and cancellation costs, all of which is rolled into the burden of paying for The Show. Time is money, and we'll morn Bill's passing one day when the show may not go on.
Who makes money off photos of bonsai trees from shows? I have over 3000 photos from shows in the last 3 years and I haven't made a dime on them.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Joe Noga takes pictures of all the trees, and they are published in a commemorative book along with descriptions of all the trees.

It would be in convenient for everyone if there were a lot of photographers setting up their cameras on tripods all over the exhibition.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Who makes money off photos of bonsai trees from shows? I have over 3000 photos from shows in the last 3 years and I haven't made a dime on them.
A guy took photos of hs hockey games and then kids and parents could go on his site and pay for framed printouts ;) $

Someone mentioned a book or digital albums he charges access for. To fund the event or something

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Joe Noga takes pictures of all the trees, and they are published in a commemorative book along with descriptions of all the trees.

It would be in convenient for everyone if there were a lot of photographers setting up their cameras on tripods all over the exhibition.
I think this is the primary reason for no photos. The show was sold out, the most concentrated population of bonsai nuts in the U.S. who all want pictures of the trees roaming the aisles., which are what? Six feet wide? Clogged aisles and possible damage to trees from people stumbling over one another, tripods, smart phones...And yeah, Bill sells an album of the event. That album is part of what supports the show...

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You sound like an entitled brat. What contributions to the art of bonsai have you made? Who have you shared your 3000 photos with?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
no they shouldn't. Us photographers should have the ability to take photos after the public are let out. I take photos of all the other shows and it is such a pain in the ass when people are around. In knoxville I had 8 different people walk into one of my shots. Thankfully I didn't go to Nationals I would have raised hell if I drove halfway across the country and was told I couldn't take photos.

Nothing says "thanks for the countless hours of hard work you put in to stage this kind of show" quite like raising hell about something as trivial as a no photo policy.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is a pic of my hackberry display
View attachment 397228

This was my absolute favorite tree in the whole show -- I loved the delicacy canopy, and the little moss fruiting bodies on the far side of the pot were perfect. The purple pot sets off those leaves perfectly too

The label at the show was Celtis Laevigata/American Surgarberry instead of Celtis occidentalis/common hackberry. Is there a big difference? Have you been pruning it for display during the summer with leaves or for winter?

Top Bottom