2021 National Bonsai Exhibition - Sept 11-12

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
what type of tree is Dennis Voltijas? I’m sure there is so much that goes into the judging, but with such a nuanced art what what was deserving of his deciduous prize? This is no criticism, I’m just curious and want to understand more. His trees always seem to be spectacular but didn’t he also win at the last show? And I understand Suthin won an award as well? I may be biased but @JudyB tree and display is equally as powerful as the winning setup. Again, no criticism, just curious and wouldn’t mind the dialogue.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dennis' tree was a type of hawthorn, if I recall correctly.

I didn't catch any pro criticisms of both trees, especially from the judges. My newbie take is that Dennis' tree is slightly more refined in a handful of aspects: More consistent ratios of trunk : primary : secondary : tertiary branch calipers, and more interior foliage. The hawthorn was also probably a foot taller and wider than the sugarberry, which these photos do not communicate well. I personally preferred the artistic aspects of Judy's tree, pot, placement, and stand, but I'm not sure how many people shared that impression

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
what type of tree is Dennis Voltijas? I’m sure there is so much that goes into the judging, but with such a nuanced art what what was deserving of his deciduous prize? This is no criticism, I’m just curious and want to understand more. His trees always seem to be spectacular but didn’t he also win at the last show? And I understand Suthin won an award as well? I may be biased but @JudyB tree and display is equally as powerful as the winning setup. Again, no criticism, just curious and wouldn’t mind the dialogue.
Look for a new Bonsai Wire podcast coming soon discussing some of the deciduous trees in detail. There are a couple great Mirai podcasts with Dennis as well.

I really liked Judy's composition as I commented earlier.

I am of course biased because I work closely with Dennis, but most agree that all of his trees have an aji that is difficult to compete with. His trees are very old, which is most apparent in the branches which are thick, barked up, contorted in three dimensions, and dense. This cannot be faked or developed quickly and is important for successful deciduous. Dennis' tree is not without flaws, but I feel Judy's branches don't give the same impression of age. Yes it's a more delicate, fresher, lively tree and maybe that point was missed by the judges.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Look for a new Bonsai Wire podcast coming soon discussing some of the deciduous trees in detail. There are a couple great Mirai podcasts with Dennis as well.

I really liked Judy's composition as I commented earlier.

I am of course biased because I work closely with Dennis, but most agree that all of his trees have an aji that is difficult to compete with. His trees are very old, which is most apparent in the branches which are thick, barked up, contorted in three dimensions, and dense. This cannot be faked or developed quickly and is important for successful deciduous. Dennis' tree is not without flaws, but I feel Judy's branches don't give the same impression of age. Yes it's a more delicate, fresher, lively tree and maybe that point was missed by the judges.
I have listened to the Mirai episode with Dennis. A great convo and his knowledge and experience is clear. It’s also clear he’s had deciduous trees he’s personally been working on for decades and I also know there are not a ton of deciduous trees that have that pedigree state side. My questions probably come from lack of detailed visuals. I’m only seeing the tree from a distance. I figured there was more to the decision than I can see so thanks for the insight! I’ll look forward to that bonsai wire podcast as that is another podcast I listen to when new episodes are released.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is so tough to evaluate trees from photos, even the professional quality photos in the exhibition albums. There have been a number of times I was really impressed with a tree in person and then when I saw it in the exhibition book I was like "that's not how I remember it" or "now why did I like that one so much?"

I do remember Vojtilla's birch from 2016, I was doing a pretty quick first pass through the exhibition and that one literally stopped me in my tracks.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh you must have stayed at the wrong hotel, I bet mine could have helped, they even had an entire room for watering trees in the suite

View attachment 397254
Most hotels...use a water softener...I'm not sure that would have been the rout I would have taken...I would have done a bottle of spring water. But surely one time shouldn't hurt.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have been trying to buy it for the last week, I own every volume so far and I admire Joe's work, but when i click on your link it shoots me to a page with the 2018 volume for sale

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nothing says "thanks for the countless hours of hard work you put in to stage this kind of show" quite like raising hell about something as trivial as a no photo policy.
Trivial? I guess Ill have to talk to Bill about this when I see him in December. A photograph is timeless and is used to document, whenever I take pictures of a show I always get permission from the person putting it on and I use high quality glass to take my shots. Clearly the no photo policy wasn't enforced on instagram or facebook where phone cameras dominated the show. Maybe they should take peoples phones at the entrance next time.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You sound like an entitled brat. What contributions to the art of bonsai have you made? Who have you shared your 3000 photos with?
I post them to places like this website and to the different clubs presidents email addresses to be used on their club websites. I also haven't made a dime on a single photo. So maybe when you call someone an entitled brat you should apologize to them for that when you don't know what the f@#$ you are talking about.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trivial? I guess Ill have to talk to Bill about this when I see him in December. A photograph is timeless and is used to document, whenever I take pictures of a show I always get permission from the person putting it on and I use high quality glass to take my shots. Clearly the no photo policy wasn't enforced on instagram or facebook where phone cameras dominated the show. Maybe they should take peoples phones at the entrance next time.

You sound like just another complainer. Or an entitled brat as forsoothe says.

If Bill gives you permission to take photos, then have at it. Otherwise, respect the rules even if others don't. Simple as that.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
you sound like a douche but im not calling one. up until a few minutes ago you didn't know the link to the 2021 photo book was broken until I showed you that it was.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you sound like a douche but im not calling one. up until a few minutes ago you didn't know the link to the 2021 photo book was broken until I showed you that it was.

LOL...why would I know the link is broken since I hadn't tried to order the book?? :rolleyes:

Since you've already taken this to PM, I won't be responding any further to you on this thread. Not worth my time.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I post them to places like this website and to the different clubs presidents email addresses to be used on their club websites. I also haven't made a dime on a single photo. So maybe when you call someone an entitled brat you should apologize to them for that when you don't know what the f@#$ you are talking about.
So you don't make money on your photos. Bill does. It's part of his business model. You're not running a bonsai business. Apples/oranges. Complaining that someone who has put together a very large, very complicated event that you don't have the opportunity to take free photos of that event sounds a bit, well, entitled. You know Bill well? Maybe you can convince him to be the show photographer...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Most hotels...use a water softener...I'm not sure that would have been the rout I would have taken...I would have done a bottle of spring water. But surely one time shouldn't hurt.

oh gooooood call for the future. I figured New York water is good, didn’t think about the hotels adding stuff. It was just the once. Safe home now :)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There were signs posted all over that photography was prohibited. In fact, the signs asked that you leave your camera in the car. But, as you know, everyone has a cell phone these days, and it doesn’t take much to snap a few pictures here and there. Bill can’t enforce what gets posted to Facebook or Instagram. Did people take some pictures of their own trees? Sure. I did. But I didn’t go around and take shots of the whole show.

Putting on that show is expensive. Bill loses money on it every year. Selling the book is a way he recoups some of that expense. Besides, the photos that Joe Noga takes are amazing!

Top Bottom