2021 Shohin Contest from Starter Material

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
2021 Shohin Contest from Starter Material

The main idea of this contest is starting from little seedlings and Cuttings , to make basic structure shohin bonsai. 6 years is the length of the contest so I’m not expecting anyone to have developed trees. This will be a contest with two independent divisions, both may begin on or after September 12th 2021. Contest ends in December 2027. Ending Date will be determined in 2027
  • In the Conifer division, contestants will be using Conifer material that is no bigger than 2 feet and no thicker than 3cm
  • In the Broadleaf division, contestants will be using deciduous material that is no bigger than 2 feet and no thicker than 3cm
Rules that apply to both divisions
  1. Contestants may participate in one or both divisions. Make sure your Conifers are in your conifer thread and Broadleaf in your Broadleaf thread.
  2. You must show your material on or after September 12th 2021 when it’s just a plant . It can’t already be wired or styled . Remember the requirements for material!
  3. Contestants may start as many plants as they like, but must choose one to submit for final judging per division.
  4. Any Conifer or Broadleaf allowed. Tropicals are not allowed. If anyone doesn’t know if their plants are Tropical Message @Njyamadori.
  5. Clump style and Forest will be allowed . Trees that you are using for other Contests aren’t allowed .
  6. You may start more trees when the Contest is going on but all rules still apply .
  7. You must document your trees at least yearly and also after any major styling .
  8. Your material can be from an air layer but however it still has to follow rules .
  9. Final tree will have to be 4-10 inches in height . Rim of pot to Apex/the top of the tree.
Notes on judging and contest end (applies to both divisions)

10.If your late to post final pictures it will not be eligible for voting.

11. Voting will take place in December 2027 or January 2028. I'm going see about lining up a potential tie-breaker judge in case that is needed.
12. Stands, companion plants, and/or moss are not necessary to include in the final pictures, but can be added if you would like.

13.Final tree has to be 4-10 inches !

This contest is about learning and not winning . If you want to win go to the Kokufu or the US Nationals not a contest on online forums.

E. Entitle your threads, "From Broadleaf/Conifer Division: ____"(include your username and then species or whatever else you would like to include to describe your thread).

Prizes are not promised but I will try to organize something .

You can post any questions in this thread or Message me.

Last edited:

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have two questions:

1. Did you intend for there to be 2 categories like
“Conifer” or “Broadleaf”
Or something like
“Evergreen” or “Deciduous”

I ask because groups of “conifer” or “deciduous” are overlapping catagories rather that two sides of a coin and they completely leave out the massive category of evergreen broadleaf, many of which are far from tropical (azalea being a common one i can think of off the top of my head)

and secondly im curious, what was the reasoning for “tropicals” not to be allowed. Clearly you can make whatever rules you want, i was just curious on your thinking? I dont grow any tropicals to my knowledge, so i dont know if something is vastly different with them at this size.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I have two questions:

1. Did you intend for there to be 2 categories like
“Conifer” or “Broadleaf”
Or something like
“Evergreen” or “Deciduous”

I ask because groups of “conifer” or “deciduous” are overlapping catagories rather that two sides of a coin and they completely leave out the massive category of evergreen broadleaf, many of which are far from tropical (azalea being a common one i can think of off the top of my head)

and secondly im curious, what was the reasoning for “tropicals” not to be allowed. Clearly you can make whatever rules you want, i was just curious on your thinking? I dont grow any tropicals to my knowledge, so i dont know if something is vastly different with them at this size.
Yeah I understand what you mean but i feel like most people just say Conifer or Deciduous. The Broadleafs would have to be trees that drop their leafs. I just don’t want any indoor trees because I really don’t like the idea of them especially in a contest cause that would be a different category and not many people would be in it . So I’m gonna keep it Conifer and Deciduous but anyone can ask me if their species is allowed

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I’m gonna keep it Conifer and Deciduous but anyone can ask me if their species is allowed

To @Rivka's point: where does a dawn redwood get classified? It's a deciduous conifer ;)

And what's a tropical? You say you don't want any "indoor" trees. But I think most people in the tropics grow their tropicals as "outdoor" trees :D In fact, asking them to grow something non-tropical may mean that they have to house them specially for them to survive at all.

I'm not trying to bust your chops. Most people do not realize how hard it is to write rules until they try it ;)

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
To @Rivka's point: where does a dawn redwood get classified? It's a deciduous conifer ;)

And what's a tropical? You say you don't want any "indoor" trees. But I think most people in the tropics grow their tropicals as "outdoor" trees :D In fact, asking them to grow something non-tropical may mean that they have to house them specially for them to survive at all.

I'm not trying to bust your chops. Most people do not realize how hard it is to write rules until they try it ;)
I would classify a dawn redwood as a conifer. But yeah now it’s Broadleaf and Conifer .

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sounds cool. I have a sweetgum volunteer that sprouted up in another forest planting. I chopped it in an attempt to kill it, but it just came back and now has some cool lower trunk movement. It definitely wasn't intentionally styled, but I'll leave it up to @Njyamadori if that is acceptable. I'll probably have a few other entries also.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
. I just don’t want any indoor trees because I really don’t like the idea of them especially
And what's a tropical? You say you don't want any "indoor" trees. But I think most people in the tropics grow their tropicals as "outdoor" trees
It’s good to remember that this is an international group. We have folks that can really only grow tropicals outdoors and have to have coldhouses to provide winter dormancy to any temperate species. We also have folk living so far north that even common bonsai, species that may grow naturally in their area, can’t survive their long freezes once in shallow pots without protection of being brought indoors.

Fully indoor bonsai is not the norm for folks in this hobby long term. Though I’m sure a handful of spectator glasshouses exist and the art is likely better for it.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah I understand what you mean but i feel like most people just say Conifer or Deciduous.
Always a good time to help folks think about it in more correct way. Contestants are about learning and expanding appreciation for trees if nothing else.
But yeah now it’s Broadleaf and Conifer .
I appreciate that you heard and considered this feedback, i think, long term, you will be happy it was changed.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Sounds cool. I have a sweetgum volunteer that sprouted up in another forest planting. I chopped it in an attempt to kill it, but it just came back and now has some cool lower trunk movement. It definitely wasn't intentionally styled, but I'll leave it up to @Njyamadori if that is acceptable. I'll probably have a few other entries also.
You can message me and show me what it looks like . It probably is allowed

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Anyone know where to get some trident seedlings? My nursery only has JM right now and I've already wired the trunks into weird shapes.

Definitely not against getting more JM, it's just that my impression is that tridents may grow faster

JEads

Mame
Reaction score
Anyone know where to get some trident seedlings? My nursery only has JM right now and I've already wired the trunks into weird shapes.
I have hundreds. A few different sizes. They are listed as pre-orders on my website, because I do not like to ship in the summer, we could work out something if you want
leftcoastbonsai.com

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I have hundreds. A few different sizes. They are listed as pre-orders on my website, because I do not like to ship in the summer, we could work out something if you want
leftcoastbonsai.com
Very cool ! I may even buy some in March

Stella

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm in. will do some maple cuttings in the next week or 2. also got 2 pine seedling I received 2 weeks ago that can be entered

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think I asked this before…….can I use a less than pencil thick seedling air layer?
Really just an cutting almost as I frequently girdle very young seedling……..
If not,its cool.
I like your idea of having many trees in the works and then choosing one for admission……..much mor interesting that way.

Great contest idea.Thanks for arranging.

Attachments

• 421D7062-025F-435E-89B4-F58A7C563739.jpeg
    421D7062-025F-435E-89B4-F58A7C563739.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 29
  • EFC46EA2-C55B-42DE-BEBD-AF339B4BC8DD.jpeg
    EFC46EA2-C55B-42DE-BEBD-AF339B4BC8DD.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 28

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe perhaps restate in contest rules no air-layers thicker then pencil size?
Honestly is just like a cutting at this level.

Top Bottom