2022 from seeds !

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As a follow up to @AlainK ’s 2021 thread. What seeds are people planning on collecting this year to sprout in 2022?

For me personally I‘ll be breaking from the norm and won’t be doing any 2022 seedlings (I say that now, who knows if I’ll stick to it!)

Viridian Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have:

A. ginnala
A. psuedosieboldianum
L. laricina
P. flexilis
P. rigida

in the fridge right now! They will be sewn in 6ish weeks under growlights to have an extended first season. I am also thinking of picking up some American hornbeam seeds soon!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
What seeds are people planning on collecting this year to sprout in 2022?

I've collected/planted seeds from various maple cultivars.

The result was disappointing, most of the time, except for seeds taken from various 'Dissectums'.

They are often weak on their own roots, and none of them are exactly "true to the type" but those that can survive the 3rd year are always interesting, one way or another.

I already have dozens from 'Sango kaku', 'Ryusen', etc. that hardly show any of the features of the mother-tree.

sem21-Ryusen_211027a.jpg Semis21-SangoKaku_211027a.jpg

I also collected samaras from shirasawanum (aureum; probably) in a park, and 'Hana matoi', 'Seiryu', 'Ryusen', 'Sango kaku', 'atropurpureum', etc.

So I collected seeds this year, sent them to friends, but I only kept some of the "dissectums". Several seedlings from the same tree can be so different.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This year instead of mixing the seeds in a bag of sphagnum moss, I'm going to try resting them on a bed of sphagnum moss inside of a plastic container so I don't have to sift for them. I cleaned the seeds in a diluted vinegar solution, then soaked them in some warm diluted liquid kelp for a day. Finally I sprayed them with some fungicide to prevent mold.

20210906_113200.jpg

This year my resources are limited so ~98% of the seeds are collected from this one tree:

Screenshot_20211027-151439_Maps.jpg

I believe it's a generic red J-maple but it is special in that it holds a variation of color year-round.
Spring: brilliant vivid red
early-summer: pic above
Late-summer: faded red-orange
Fall: generic red

Whenever I see this tree I daydream about a forest of them providing autumn color year-round. So that's why I'm planting so many, hoping to get some attractive variations.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Collected so far:
* Coast Live Oak acorns from home and from a Chumash village site.
* Valley Oak acorns from city hall (excited about these!!!).
* Crape Myrtle from a tree at work.
* Sweet Gum from home.
* Loblolly Pine cone (I think) from a local park, just started to open.

Already have:
* Crape Myrtle.
* Jacaranda.
* Chinese Elm.

Want:
* Any California oak acorns, especially Quercus tomentella (Island Oak) and Quercus douglasii (Blue Oak). If anyone has these, I'm willing to buy or trade!
* Anything else! I plan to get anything I can get my hands on, regardless of whether it's good for bonsai or not.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m tempted to try some Diospyros rhombifolia (princess persimmon.) but am a little put off after reading that you need to have a male for the female if you want her to fruit, and that it’s not possible to tell the gender of the tree for years and years.

Not sure if I want to be engulfed in them for so long just for the hope of one each of the opposing genders.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I collected a bunch of Labernum Golgden Rain seeds over summer which are in a tub of substrate. Do not hold hope because I noticed a number of seeds were damaged: I expect there are beetles developing in the seeds. We'll see.

I have a bunch of trident maple seeds on order. We'll see whether they ever arrive (Ordered first week October)

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I collected a bunch of Labernum Golgden Rain seeds over summer which are in a tub of substrate. Do not hold hope because I noticed a number of seeds were damaged: I expect there are beetles developing in the seeds. We'll see.

I have a bunch of trident maple seeds on order. We'll see whether they ever arrive (Ordered first week October)
Oooh Laburnum be pretty. Fingers crossed on your seedies!

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I currently have American Hornbeam, Japanese Maple, Common Hackberry, and Flowering Dogwood in trays on my garage floor.

In the fridge I have American Beech, American Persimmon, Southern Live Oak, and Willow Oak. These will join the others on the floor in a month or two once it is consistently cold out.

My parents are also sending me a handful of Little Leaf Linden and Crabapple seeds. That will probably be it for this year unless something interesting pops up. I was going to do some Water Oaks also, but decided I will just do some air layers next year instead.

Scott

Attachments

• 20211031_102114.jpg
    20211031_102114.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 51

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I moved my willow oak and Southern live oak acorns from the fridge to soil today. They will chill on the garage floors for now and move outside when they sprout.

I started the season planting in foil half size baking pans, but have now "upgraded" to large mixed greens containers. I'm going to need to eat a lot more salad to make homes for my beech and persimmon seeds.

Attachments

• 20211107_152917.jpg
    20211107_152917.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 40

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found what I what I think was a Prunus Sibirica outside of a coffee shop in Palmer AK. Collected about 50 seeds and started half in the fridge, these sprouted a lot sooner than I thought they would.

apic2.jpg

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I had a hornbeam sprout early on my cold, dark garage floor. I did not cold stratify it ahead of time, I expected that to happen over winter in the garage. So, I pulled the seedling out of the tray, potted it, and propped it up with my tropicals.

We'll see if it survives until spring. Hopefully it is the only early one because I did not plan to keep seedlings indoors this season and would need to buy more lights for them.

Scott

Attachments

• 20211124_154046.jpg
    20211124_154046.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20211124_154758.jpg
    20211124_154758.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 20

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here are a few that I'm trying. Might be forgetting some.
Willow Oak
Japanese Maple
Unknown Hawthorn (maybe washington Hawthorn)
unknown Crabapples (from a few different mother trees)
Quaking Aspen
Styrax Japonica
Malus Ioensis (native prairie crabapple)

Hinoki Cypress
Ponderosa Pine
Lodgepole Pine
Pitch Pine (rigida)
Bald Cypress

Top Bottom