2022 from seeds !

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Too many seedlings in my garden, I decided to try only a few ones:

- shirasawanum 'aureum' (hard to germinate)
- 'Okushimo'
- 'Hana Matoi'
- 'Atrolineare'
- 'Seiryu'
- 'Mikawa yatubusa'
- 'Atropurpureum'

I've decided not to stratify them in the fridge, but in a planter outside. "Stratification" worked about the same whether in the fridge or outside, so why bother ?

Here, we don't have deep frost, only mild ones every week or so during the winter, -10°C is a very harsh winter. We had a very cold spell last night, -2.4°C. It should be the lowest night temps for the coming 10 days.

So I think that if in a good soil, the seeds will undergo a very natural treatment of alternate temperatures below and above 0°C, which is the best they can have to prepare for the spring I think...

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I think that if in a good soil, the seeds will undergo a very natural treatment of alternate temperatures below and above 0°C, which is the best they can have to prepare for the spring I think...
Yup. Just make sure they do not drown if you have a particularly wet winter and you should be set for spring.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Just make sure they do not drown if you have a particularly wet winter
Yes: I usually plant them in planters with a first layer of pozzolan 7/15 mm at the bottom (2-3 cm), then a very draing mix (50% of 5-7 pozzolan and composted pine bark, 5 cm), then a mix with 30% aquarium sand and 70% akadama and composted pine bark.
I also use aluminium deep-freeze trays for the ones that I have too many. They don't mind :D

Planter :

Semis21-Rich10_210715a.jpg

Aluminium tray:

sem2021-vitifolium_210427a.jpg

papkey5

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Field maple
English yew
Bald cypress
Japanese maple “shigitatsu sawa”
Scots pine
European beech
Japanese larch

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, I said I wasn’t gonna do it but I just ordered some dirt cheap Tamarind seeds for fun.

I’d love to try my hand at some Sakura but those never germinated for me in the past. Maybe 2023 I’ll try the disasters again like Sakura germination and trying to get JPB/JRP to live beyond the size of my pinky finger.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
not all of these are for bonsai, some are though.

pinus aristata, pinus thunbergii, Caragana arborescens, Nothofagus antarctica, dracaena draco, helicodiceros musciverus, furcraea parmentieri, passiflora caerulea, trachycarpus fortunei, sequoia sempervirens, sorbus torminalis, picea glehnii, larix laricina, ilex vomitoria

mj_barb

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I’m finally in a house that has some space for ground growing so I’m trying to get as many projects started as I can!

2 sources of Japanese Maple
Trident Maple
Amur Maple
Chinese Elm
Zelkova
Hinoki Cypress
JBP

Will likely use a few as landscape trees too.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My success has been iffy with germinating seeds, but this year I'm trying Cork Oak and Pinus Strobiformis. Which reminds me, I should probably start soaking the pine seeds now.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is the first winter of my bonsai life that I am skipping seeds. This year I decided I am a yamadori collector haha. I threw a handful of trident seeds next to my bench but they're probably just squirrel food

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Acer griseum : very difficult to have seeds germinate. But you might be interested in reading this thread from the UBC Maple Forum :

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What I currently have in the fridge
-dunstan chestnut
-American persimmon
-honey locust
-sawtooth oak
-overcap oak
-acer palmatum (green small seed)
-purple muscadine
-bronze muscadine
-apples
-peaches
-black cherry

What I currently have planted outside to over winter
-acer palmatum “blood good”
-acer palmatum “Beni kawa”
-acer buergerianum
-acer palmatum dissectum
-acer palmatum atropurpureum

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wasn't planning on starting anymore seeds but it got nice the other day so I went on a walk. Ended up packing a couple of my pockets with frozen crab apples. Got home and Tom Sawyered my youngest into helping pick seeds out of partially frozen crabapples. He did a good job too, was giving them the little pinch test picking out the bad seeds.

Anyways, we planted 200+ crab apple seeds. I did a smaller batch earlier this winter and about 1/3 of 50 sprouted. If I have a similar success rate on this batch I'll have entirely too many crabs. Probably have to do some guerilla gardening and gift the town some crab apple trees in a few years.

Reaction score
As a follow up to @AlainK ’s 2021 thread. What seeds are people planning on collecting this year to sprout in 2022?

For me personally I‘ll be breaking from the norm and won’t be doing any 2022 seedlings (I say that now, who knows if I’ll stick to it!)
I've sown:
Metasequoia g.
Ginkgo biloba
Poncirus-Flying Dragon Citrus
Prunus Katherine
Quercus suber- Cork Oak

Already had a couple hundred Flying Dragon seeds germinate these past weeks.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I collected a bunch of Labernum Golgden Rain seeds over summer which are in a tub of substrate. Do not hold hope because I noticed a number of seeds were damaged: I expect there are beetles developing in the seeds. We'll see.

I have a bunch of trident maple seeds on order. We'll see whether they ever arrive (Ordered first week October)
So the trident seeds never did arrive. So I ordered seed from another website. Trident and pseudocydonia, as I could never find these trees either. Long story short.. I found 2 pseudocydonia's for sale and the original trident seeds arrived. I think I have now 400 trident seeds in flats, 100 pseudocydonia and 2 thick pseudocydonia in pots. Guess my growingfields will get densely planted in fall. And I might start seling trident seedlings. Not sure there is amarket for them though

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
So the trident seeds never did arrive. So I ordered seed from another website. Trident and pseudocydonia, as I could never find these trees either. Long story short.. I found 2 pseudocydonia's for sale and the original trident seeds arrived. I think I have now 400 trident seeds in flats, 100 pseudocydonia and 2 thick pseudocydonia in pots. Guess my growingfields will get densely planted in fall. And I might start seling trident seedlings. Not sure there is amarket for them though

I've been looking for trident maple in the UK and can't find much. A few stumps, a few over priced ebay finds the obligatory £10k herons bonsai tree that pops up in the search. If someone had a few saplings I'd be interested.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've been looking for trident maple in the UK and can't find much. A few stumps, a few over priced ebay finds the obligatory £10k herons bonsai tree that pops up in the search. If someone had a few saplings I'd be interested.
I would call herons and ask for seedlings, I know Peter has quite an impressive nursery with trees in all stages of growth. I would put money that he’s got trident seedling stock.

Top Bottom