2023-2026 ROR Contest rules

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
1) To start immediately and end December 1, 2026 (4 years). No closing date for accepting entries.
2) Entries should be from the families Moraceae and/or Rosaceae.
3) 'Rock' may be anything as long as the roots are displayed growing over, around and/or through it.
4) Number of entries per person is unlimited.
5) Photographs of all entries requested every six months, once from sometime in January - June and once from July - December.
6) Entrant is responsible for selecting their best entry for a final submission. Final submission to consist of up to four photographs. Final submission will be in a new thread titled "Final Submission". Photos of final submission could be taken any time within the calendar year 2026. Final judging by counting 'likes' of the final images, open to any member of Bonsainut forum, over a two week period in December, 2026. (Yes, a popularity contest)
7) Prize to consist of one or more nice ROR and a bottle of your favorite beverage. (Prizes to be supplied by winner)

Entries will be accepted as soon as our moderator creates a sub-forum for us.
Each entrant should start a single thread for all of their entries titled "myusername 2023-2026 ROR" (or something like that)

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3600+ species to choose from @leatherback . Just saying! But obviously participation is optional xD

Edit: yes I realize many of those 3600+ are not woody plants. Still you have prunus, cotoneaster, potentilla, crataegus, apples, a plethora of interesting options. Just in rosaceae. Not to mention figs

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually kind of a boon to not have to the size limit anymore, I got my hands on a good piece of Aronia stock last year :)

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
3600+ species to choose from @leatherback . Just saying! But obviously participation is optional xD

Edit: yes I realize many of those 3600+ are not woody plants. Still you have prunus, cotoneaster, potentilla, crataegus, apples, a plethora of interesting options. Just in rosaceae. Not to mention figs

TIL how many species other than roses are in the rose family.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hopefully nobody sees this and just assumes Rosa chinensis is what they're working with 😅

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In all likelihood I will probably try a native wild rose for this contest. I've always wanted to, and they grow on rocks well in our mountains.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
As someone who doesn't speak horticulturalist, might I suggest a list of species that belong in the Moraceae and/or Rosaceae families and are common in bonsai?
For me, some possibilities appear to be,
-apples
-crabapples
-pears
-ume
-wild rose varieties
-flowering quince (boke, and chojubai)
-spirea varieties
-pyracantha/firethorn
-photinia
-Chinese quince
-hawthorn
-cotoneaster
All of these belong to the Rosacea family, but this is what I've managed to find combing through my books.
For Moraceae, the only thing I can think of is a mulberry, which I've already been looking for for some time.
^Feel free to add to this. These are all common in Japan, but of course all of us in different places have access to different things.

Kievnstavick

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am considering attempting to use serviceberry/shadberry (Amelanchier). Some of them can be small trees, but I have yet have my own eyes on them to see their suitability. At least research and description wise, it sounds like it could work.

I would probably have to treat them like blueberries as a guess.

My fall back will be either a crabapple or a flowering cherry.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m toying with the idea of trying this, it’s due for a repot since it’s getting crowded and I spotted some great ramification. Could anyone ID this or will it just be “some kind of rose”?

Attachments

• 2FFBD7C5-7E17-4959-A00C-8CFE4647F269.jpeg
    2FFBD7C5-7E17-4959-A00C-8CFE4647F269.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 13
  • CD437EC8-F3D2-4C99-A900-C5480D2A6293.jpeg
    CD437EC8-F3D2-4C99-A900-C5480D2A6293.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom