2023 March 19 Crataegus aestivalis Mayhaw #2

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Up for bid is a Mayhaw hawthorn collected last year. 2.5” at the base tree was reduced from a 7 ft tall tree. Buyer pays UPS shipping to lower 48 US states only.

For comparison a 4-5 ft Mayhaw us sold at Ty Ty nursery for $65

Starting bid is $40. Will close at 6 pm CDT March 29.
E5C9939A-94A6-47D8-A433-4254BFB7D1EE.jpeg
5A0C14FB-A198-4DDE-8857-E2D1D8C23F8A.jpeg

Last edited:

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi i am surprised no one besides me bid yet!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So am I. It looks like you will win both. I am OK if you want to get just one. Now that I figure out the shipping it should not be much.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well if so, here's what I want -
Cut them to fit a flat rate box and charge more money for a third tree you shove in there. Also they should have as little water as possible before shipping in my opinion, dry them out and they are more ready for a 2 to 3 day dormancy. Wrap up soil with plastic grocery bag, twist tie it, and leave top dry in box.
Sorry you had a crappy first go. You will soon find the easier to sell material are the small untrimmed trees.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Cut them to fit a flat rate box and charge more money for a third tree you shove in there. Also they should have as little water as possible before shipping in my opinion, dry them out and they are more ready for a 2 to 3 day dormancy. Wrap up soil with plastic grocery bag, twist tie it, and leave top dry in box.
Sorry you had a crappy first go. You will soon find the easier to sell material are the small untrimmed trees.
My goal is never to sell trees so it is all good.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How do you get new material then, once you are maxxed out on space or time or just not interested in a whole species anymore?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
How do you get new material then, once you are maxxed out on space or time or just not interested in a whole species anymore?
Let me clarify.

My goal is not to never sell tree. Rather it is never to sell trees for any commercial reason but for the fun of playing with trees. I can swap, horse trade, give away, sell for cheap to recoup some cost so I can expand my play etc.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing bonsai for profit. It is just not my goal.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
haha I see the are way taller than I thought looking at tape measure again, never mind what I said about cutting ! I do need all the intact roots.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll start buying when you start collecting up north ;)

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Both Mayhaws and a Jujube are in a flat rate box & on the way. $22.80 shipping for 3 trees isn't bad.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's great for items that are over 5 lbs, and you can pack out your boxes with rocks or cypress scrap instead of newspaper if needed. ;)

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sigh.... I cleaned up what I wanted on these plants and then couldn't stop.
What I put them through was something i would ordinarily try out on a similar plant first.
All in one grow out container now to rest a year!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Sigh.... I cleaned up what I wanted on these plants and then couldn't stop.
What I put them through was something i would ordinarily try out on a similar plant first.
All in one grow out container now to rest a year!
Well. Let’s see if they survive. :)

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nothing 'unsurvivable", but I definitely pushed some limits :)

Top Bottom