21st century kids

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its funny,

I saw all young generation protesting about climat change and what we should do, but they dont even pick up their own rubbish, the place looked like after rubbish tornado went through, so do your own maths, propaganda is huge.......

I guess I am lucky to live where I do. Young people were carrying bags to pick up any litter they found, even the cigarette butts from the onlookers.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
@ AlainK
I don't agree with you but that doesn't mean we can't be civil towards each other.

I agree. I think I was civil in my latest post :

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I agree. I think I was civil in my latest post :

You were. Thank you for that.

The lack of civility is something I don't understand. People have always disagreed on all sorts of things.
I remember when you could discuss things that we thought differently on.
We didn't get mad or go to calling names. Those days for some reason seem to be over. I don't get it.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I remember a time when it was advised to wait 24 hrs to reply to a message, in the late 90s.
Haha, I reminded myself of that just the other day, before sending an irritated email to someone a bit higher o[n the foodchain.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Picking up their own trash is beneath them. Their calling is to change the world.

I think that your comment tends to "put them all in the same bag" as we say. That's wrong : most of them are concerned about environment, and that includes taking care of their "microcosm". No, kids today don't leave trash behind them, or at least, much less than they (we ?) did years ago.

Either you think your generation was better than them (and this is to be argued), or I misunderstood you, and I don't know about kids in your neighbourhood, but I can tell you that here, they're doing the best they can to "make our planet great again".

It's much harder to have "old people" change their habits. A real challenge...

Ten years ago, the late Kofy Annan, a very respectable man (not like others) gave his voice to try and make people aware. In 2009, some countries, a few "big countries" (I won't name them, shaming is not an option) refused to hear him. And condemned the rest of the world to a race to chaos. The last words are by Desmond Tutu, Nobel Pëace Prize 1984

Last edited:

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It could be a bad example in the leadership in society. Giving bad examples :(
The last years we have come to think things normal that used to be unacceptable.

I try my best to be polite, in person or on the net. It's the way I was raised.
We will never fix any of the worlds problems by name calling.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It's much harder to have "old people" change their habits. A real challenge...

I'm one of those "older people".
At one time I believed the same about the climate as you do.
After 50 years of hearing how we are all going to die in a decade, I changed.

As a young man I was as liberal as I could be. Then I got older and I would like to think wiser.
None of their BS was adding up. I became a lot more skeptical about it all.

One thing I know for sure, we are being lied to from all directions. About just about everything.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
we are being lied to from all directions.

I don't think so : a fact is a fact. Politics are not, they're just like religion : a make-up world to comfort people who have no hope in the future any longer and try lamely to buy a place in a "world" that doesn't exist : the infernoes as ancient Greeks said, "paradise" for the updated credulous ones.

Some don't lie : scientists. They can be manipulated, but science doesn't lie, religions and ideologies lie.

A rose is a rose. A toes is a toes. That's a fact.

Ach, anarchists !

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It could be a bad example in the leadership in society. Giving bad examples :(
The last years we have come to think things normal that used to be unacceptable.
I blame social media, facebook, the internet in general. People now can "say" anything they want to each other, via the internet...things they would not dare say in person, since there usually aren't any real consequences (as opposed to losing a bunch of teeth). A whole generation has grown up interacting this way and we are reaping the rewards. Plus we have the proliferation of fake and doctored news, and people without the attention span or intelligence to question what they read and refer back to other sources. If it confirms their view that's all that matters.

I think the "bad example in leadership" (suspecting who you are referring to) is as much a product of this mentality as a cause, though there is now positive feedback taking place which reinforces the behavior. Or maybe negative feedback would be a better way to describe it.

The genie is out of the bottle, where this leads...who knows.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I don't think so : a fact is a fact. Politics are not, they're just like religion : a make-up world to comfort people who have no hope in the future any longer and try lamely to buy a place in a "world" that doesn't exist : the infernoes as ancient Greeks said, "paradise" for the updated credulous ones.

Some don't lie : scientists. They can be manipulated, but science doesn't lie, religions and ideologies lie.

A rose is a rose. A toes is a toes. That's a fact.

Ach, anarchists !

Have you ever listened to scientists that don't believe what you believe? There are plenty to be found.
Now if you have then you have noticed at least two sides of the argument.
If one says one thing and the other says the opposite, how does AlainK choose sides?
I have listened to both sides a lot, they both make a certain amount of sense.
In my eyes one of them is either full of it or telling a lie.

You just happen to believe the other side. I'm OK with that.

And the news media over here is completely full of it. Hopefully yours is better.
Ours have chosen sides, that's not news.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The climate matters so much that the world sent all its manufacturing power to china then repeatedly exempted those very same factories from the regulation after regulation.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Have you ever listened to scientists that don't believe what you believe? There are plenty to be found.
Now if you have then you have noticed at least two sides of the argument.
If one says one thing and the other says the opposite, how does AlainK choose sides?
I have listened to both sides a lot, they both make a certain amount of sense.
In my eyes one of them is either full of it or telling a lie.
i choose sides by looking at how the data was collected and check for potential biases, Polling and data collection sizes etc. It’s really not that hard to figure out which side of an argument to pick in science. It’s science. It’s not always right but it is self correcting.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
I blame social media, facebook, the internet in general. People now can "say" anything they want to each other, via the internet...things they would not dare say in person, since there usually aren't any real consequences (as opposed to losing a bunch of teeth). A whole generation has grown up interacting this way and we are reaping the rewards. Plus we have the proliferation of fake and doctored news, and people without the attention span or intelligence to question what they read and refer back to other sources. If it confirms their view that's all that matters.
That's funny. I can tell you don’t spend much time online. Websites are pretty much self filtering for the user base. If you are frequenting places that people say things they wouldn’t say to your face, you are in 4chan or some Fan pages for eleventeen year olds.

As for fake and doctored news..... that has been around since the printing press was invented. I would say news is more honest then ever. People can fact check instantly and many do. If you are reading fake news, again you are frequenting the wrong sites. If you only frequent sites that feed your personal belief construct, then you are only going to believe a narrow view of the real world because that is all you see and the rest is BS, even though it is probably real and easily checked for fact. This has always been the case though, instead of websites it was magazines and newspapers. Nothing has changed with the advent of new technology other then allowing people that do want facts to find out the truth.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
That's funny. I can tell you don’t spend much time online. Websites are pretty much self filtering for the user base. If you are frequenting places that people say things they wouldn’t say to your face, you are in 4chan or some Fan pages for eleventeen year olds.

As for fake and doctored news..... that has been around since the printing press was invented. I would say news is more honest then ever. People can fact check instantly and many do. If you are reading fake news, again you are frequenting the wrong sites. If you only frequent sites that feed your personal belief construct, then you are only going to believe a narrow view of the real world because that is all you see and the rest is BS, even though it is probably real and easily checked for fact. This has always been the case though, instead of websites it was magazines and newspapers. Nothing has changed with the advent of new technology other then allowing people that do want facts to find out the truth.
Sorry mate that’s absolute nonsense. The internet is so full of contrasting opinions and statements of fact that by searching long enough you can find almost anything to back up your view as being “fact”. Let alone the fact that a very broad amount of people use facebook and twitter alone as their source of news. Someone, be it a friend or celebrity or news outlet, posts something which gets liked and shared and retweeted and so on and so forth until enough people have liked and shared it that it becomes common “fact”, at least amongst the group of people it was aimed at. It’s just propaganda on a grand scale, spread by the people the propaganda is aimed at. If “the man” tells you something, you are disinclined to believe it. If someone you trust likes or tells you something, you are far more open to the idea of it.

This is precisely why climate change and global warming is not propaganda. The scientists have been trying to tell us for years, decades even. The problem is, they are just scientists and unless there is money to be made from their discoveries, nobody takes them seriously. If it were propaganda it would have been being spread by people with vested financial or political interests and laws would have been put in place instead of country representatives sat around in meetings discussing and doing nothing. The problem with climate change is that there is nothing to gain from it and everything to lose so people just want to bury their head in the sand, or better still, deny it is even real. Dod Gammit people!

Forsoothe was completely correct, in that we do only affect our tiny infinitesimal piece of the solar system. It just happens to be that we all rely on it for survival. The Earth will keep spinning. Come back in a few thousand millennia and perhaps squid will be custodians of Earth. We are the first “intelligent” life form on this planet, it’s unlikely we’ll be the last. So, by all means keep destroying. The sooner we’re gone the sooner Mother Nature can have her planet back.

By the way, that’s the second lot of political reasoning I have seen on here. I lean neither one way or the other, I’m an abstainer who believes that a combination of both schools is the best way. That’ll never happen because people seem mostly to deal in absolutes. But I will just say that that’s two people that have wrong definitions of what a conservative is. The clue is in the name. Conservatives want to conserve what they have, to conserve their way of life and conserve their beliefs. Open mindedness, problem solving and working together is not what being a conservative is. Just saying the opposite does not make it true.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Science is not about beliefs, it's about facts.

But those who can't dream are the living dead.

Way to skirt around the question.

Actually science is a belief or theory in the beginning. That's why they study theories, to prove or dis prove.
All science starts out as someone wondering why something acts the way it does.

As long as Albert Einstein has been dead they are still proving and or dis proving his theories.

Top Bottom