2x3 Foot Pot

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tall order: Can anyone ID what type of pot this may be from these outrageously blurry pics? Or maybe country of origin? there appears to be oriental letters of some sort in that stamp.. Pot measures 2x3 feet.

IMG_0792.JPGIMG_0790.JPGIMG_0789.JPG

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From the clay color, form and size it's most likely from Yixing in China. If it's Japanese and you paid less than $500 you have to tell us where you got it.;-)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
From the clay color, form and size it's most likely from Yixing in China. If it's Japanese and you paid less than $500 you have to tell us where you got it.;-)
Chinese yixing

I'll try to get a better picture of rubbing of the mark as suggested... If it is Yixing, what might a pot like this go for?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll try to get a better picture of rubbing of the mark as suggested... If it is Yixing, what might a pot like this go for?
It pretty much depends on if you can find a buyer for it. Big pots are not easy to sell as they require big trees. I have sold some equal or a bit larger to people, but those people were local and had big trees.

If you find someone who has a mostly finished tree that large, I'd think $400 might be in the ballpark. Add another $100 if you have to ship it (which will likely mean the pot gets broken--big pots don't travel well.)

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are not refined but a well made pot overall.
Not really true anymore. The Japanese, from what I've heard, import high end Yixing pots. I've got a couple of the higher end Yixing. Comparable to some Japanese Tokoname, but less expensive.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Not really true anymore. The Japanese, from what I've heard, import high end Yixing pots. I've got a couple of the higher end Yixing. Comparable to some Japanese Tokoname, but less expensive.
That's interesting...
I have a Yixing Drum Style pot that is definitely a little rough around the detail parts (the little rivet looking circles).
But my large 18"+ Yixing rectangle pots are pretty legit I think.

Reactions: Vin
Top Bottom