2yo Chinese elm winter help

andymspragg

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a 2 yo Chinese elm unpurchased 6 months ago. It's doing very well, have been keeping it indoors in southern UK , it has started to get a few yellow leaves fall off, I believe this is it's dormancy stage? Should I be moving it outside for winter as it's not been kept outside so far? It does get rather cold here. The other option is to leave it in the conservatory as that's the coldest room in the house especially overnight but would have no fear of freezing. What should I do. Thanks

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It should be outside, not inside, throughout growing season. Please search in archives as this topic is discussed nearly every week.
Also add you location to your profile.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Here's the way this works...find out what zone are you in, find out what zone your tree is in (5-9 by the way). Figure the tree in a bonsai pot will be good in zone 6 which is between zero and negative ten degrees Fahrenheit. If you don't get colder than that, leave the tree outside, protect against winds, water once in awhile and be done with it. This is not a tropical and I would not start out taking trees inside that don't need to go there.

andymspragg

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm in the UK and the lowest is usually 20-30f I'm concerned because it's quite young and has been an indoor tree, would the sudden shock of temperature difference kill it?

andymspragg

Seedling
Reaction score
Here's the way this works...find out what zone are you in, find out what zone your tree is in (5-9 by the way). Figure the tree in a bonsai pot will be good in zone 6 which is between zero and negative ten degrees Fahrenheit. If you don't get colder than that, leave the tree outside, protect against winds, water once in awhile and be done with it. This is not a tropical and I would not start out taking trees inside that don't need to go there.

Attachments

• IMG-20221025-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20221025-WA0004.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@andymspragg i'm in the UK also, my chinese elms much much prefer being outside all year round, in fact I consider it a slow death sentence to keep one indoors.

I'd put it outside now rather than wait for spring, as it may not 'spring' in spring without dormancy (this may be nonsense).

Mine are fine getting rained on all winter but if yours is in heavy/organic potting compost type soil watch out for it becoming too waterlogged.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm in the UK and the lowest is usually 20-30f I'm concerned because it's quite young and has been an indoor tree, would the sudden shock of temperature difference kill it?
Maybe cause you started wrong with it and winter is upon us, at least here it is.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
They like to be outside, its a 'tree' afterall. But since his has been indoors all season, I wouldnt stick it out in the cold now, they still need some adaptation. leave it in the conservatory, then come spring bring it out and leave it out all year around.

andymspragg

Seedling
Reaction score
@andymspragg i'm in the UK also, my chinese elms much much prefer being outside all year round, in fact I consider it a slow death sentence to keep one indoors.

I'd put it outside now rather than wait for spring, as it may not 'spring' in spring without dormancy (this may be nonsense).

Mine are fine getting rained on all winter but if yours is in heavy/organic potting compost type soil watch out for it becoming too waterlogged.
Ah fab thank you, my only concern is where it's so young will the temperature change be a shock too it

andymspragg

Seedling
Reaction score
They like to be outside, its a 'tree' afterall. But since his has been indoors all season, I wouldnt stick it out in the cold now, they still need some adaptation. leave it in the conservatory, then come spring bring it out and leave it out all year around.
That's great advice thank you, I was looking for confirmation for this. Much appreciated 😊

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The guide that was given specifically says to leave on a windowsill not in direct sunlight, so that's what I done 🤦
If you are going to act according to a bonsai guide that came with a Chinese Elm, you are going to have a hard time with bonsai. The "bonsai guide" is a tool to sell bonsai. If you have looked in the archive like I suggested, you will find a lot more there than on this thread. I think a lot of people here who would advise you are probably pretty tired of beating a dead horse.
I will say (again) that I have a lot of Chinese elms, maybe about 40 of them. about half being seedlings. I have only ever managed to kill one. It was being kept inside.
Whatever you decide I wish you the best.

andymspragg

Seedling
Reaction score
I am doing what you said and looking through the archives, I stated what was previously done. No need to get passive aggressive with me. I'm trying to learn hence why I came here!

andymspragg

Seedling
Reaction score
If you are going to act according to a bonsai guide that came with a Chinese Elm, you are going to have a hard time with bonsai. The "bonsai guide" is a tool to sell bonsai. If you have looked in the archive like I suggested, you will find a lot more there than on this thread. I think a lot of people here who would advise you are probably pretty tired of beating a dead horse.
I will say (again) that I have a lot of Chinese elms, maybe about 40 of them. about half being seedlings. I have only ever managed to kill one. It was being kept inside.
Whatever you decide I wish you the best.
U were a beginner once

andymspragg

Seedling
Reaction score
@andymspragg

I think some bonsainutters just get short because they give the same advice a hundred times per year. It's nothing personal. Sometimes it does comes off poorly, but they do help a lot of us. You're in good hands here at bonsainut!
Thank you I appreciate that. I can imagine it must get tiresome.

Top Bottom