2yo Chinese elm winter help

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
U were a beginner once
You don't have to be a beginner to make mistakes. I have been in horticulture over 50 years and I make plenty of mistakes. That is why I share my personal experiences with you and others I think might be going down the wrong path. I didn't pay attention to what others were telling me when I killed a Chinese elm by bringing it inside. It was a very nice mame Chinese elm I killed only about 5 or 6 years ago. I should have known better. I will continue to offer my advice and my opinions, that is why I am on this thread. But I will not be hand holding as it removes me from my own path.
I sincerely wish you the best and I sincerely wish the best for your elm.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No need to get passive aggressive with me. I'm trying to learn hence why I came here!
I'm also a relative newbie and will share my 2 cents. Every person, including myself, who discovers BNut inevitably asks the same questions (basic as they are) again and again. Getting folks with literally decades of experience to chime in and guide us is priceless. Sometimes there's a bit of sass, but many times we are reading attitude into the responses that weren't intended. There's a great deal of information on this site and having someone direct you to it isn't sass. And even if it is, who cares - get the advice you need and move on.

My son wintered his elm indoors last year. The tree lost its leaves and grew them back twice. The tree is healthy and will spend the winter outdoors this year (as they should). We recently buried all our trees in a mulch pile - that should be sufficient, but I may give them some more wind protection.

For me, there is rarely a reason to ever have a deciduous tree indoors (to hell with bonsai guides and vendors selling "indoor trees" - never have I seen a tree sprout from my floor boards, because they grow outdoors).

It could be early enough in the season to acclimate your tree to outdoor living, but I leave that to the experts. Basically, just let it be outdoors for some time during the day and then bring them in. Increase the amount of time it spends outdoors until they are there 24/7.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At this point, with winter six weeks or so away, it would probably be best to have the tree limp by inside.

"Outside" trees are well on their way to hardened dormancy with exposure to frosts and even shallow freezes . With that preparation, they are prepared for the coming cold. Not really true with temperate zone trees kept indoors.

Dormancy is not driven by temperatures alone. The primary driver for dormancy is day length, trees begin the processes of dormancy in June, with the summer solstice, when the days begin to get shorter little by little. Those shortening days set off hormonal changes in how trees store reserves, grow roots etc. Inside trees don't get those signals very well, since they're in an artificial environment where they're mostly just fighting to stay alive.

You can't induce dormancy (at least a healthy dormancy) by plunking an "inside" tree outside in the cold. That sudden shift in temperature will shock the plant, probably induce leaf drop. If it's frosty or freezing out, the newly exposed tree won't have had time or the inclination to build up its reserves and cold tolerance...

Keeping the tree inside for the winter won't keep it healthy, but it may keep it alive until spring if you're lucky.

andymspragg

Seedling
Reaction score
You don't have to be a beginner to make mistakes. I have been in horticulture over 50 years and I make plenty of mistakes. That is why I share my personal experiences with you and others I think might be going down the wrong path. I didn't pay attention to what others were telling me when I killed a Chinese elm by bringing it inside. It was a very nice mame Chinese elm I killed only about 5 or 6 years ago. I should have known better. I will continue to offer my advice and my opinions, that is why I am on this thread. But I will not be hand holding as it removes me from my own path.
I sincerely wish you the best and I sincerely wish the best for your elm.
I appreciate it thank you, same to you.

andymspragg

Seedling
Reaction score
At this point, with winter six weeks or so away, it would probably be best to have the tree limp by inside.

"Outside" trees are well on their way to hardened dormancy with exposure to frosts and even shallow freezes . With that preparation, they are prepared for the coming cold. Not really true with temperate zone trees kept indoors.

Dormancy is not driven by temperatures alone. The primary driver for dormancy is day length, trees begin the processes of dormancy in June, with the summer solstice, when the days begin to get shorter little by little. Those shortening days set off hormonal changes in how trees store reserves, grow roots etc. Inside trees don't get those signals very well, since they're in an artificial environment where they're mostly just fighting to stay alive.

You can't induce dormancy (at least a healthy dormancy) by plunking an "inside" tree outside in the cold. That sudden shift in temperature will shock the plant, probably induce leaf drop. If it's frosty or freezing out, the newly exposed tree won't have had time or the inclination to build up its reserves and cold tolerance...

Keeping the tree inside for the winter won't keep it healthy, but it may keep it alive until spring if you're lucky.
That's really helpful to read thank you so much. I'll keep in conservatory where it's slightly colder than where it's been and will move to outside in spring. Thanks again

andymspragg

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm also a relative newbie and will share my 2 cents. Every person, including myself, who discovers BNut inevitably asks the same questions (basic as they are) again and again. Getting folks with literally decades of experience to chime in and guide us is priceless. Sometimes there's a bit of sass, but many times we are reading attitude into the responses that weren't intended. There's a great deal of information on this site and having someone direct you to it isn't sass. And even if it is, who cares - get the advice you need and move on.

My son wintered his elm indoors last year. The tree lost its leaves and grew them back twice. The tree is healthy and will spend the winter outdoors this year (as they should). We recently buried all our trees in a mulch pile - that should be sufficient, but I may give them some more wind protection.

For me, there is rarely a reason to ever have a deciduous tree indoors (to hell with bonsai guides and vendors selling "indoor trees" - never have I seen a tree sprout from my floor boards, because they grow outdoors).

It could be early enough in the season to acclimate your tree to outdoor living, but I leave that to the experts. Basically, just let it be outdoors for some time during the day and then bring them in. Increase the amount of time it spends outdoors until they are there 24/7.
Good advice thank you!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Elms should be kept outdoor,but don't leave them unattended completely.

This one of my several elms did not survive this past winter, there were several late winter snow storms here, the melting and then refreezing process killed my elm I guess. This one was left on table, others that also were outside but were more or less sheltered somewhat survived.

Attachments

• 20220225_081248.jpg
    20220225_081248.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 9

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thank you I appreciate that. I can imagine it must get tiresome.
It’s also over text, I wouldn’t take it personally mate :)

Welcome to the machine!! Pop that sucker outside in spring, and make sure to feed it when you do! Spring is perfect time for that.

Top Bottom