3 Big Boxwoods

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here's an update of the twin trunk that I wired today. Yes, my wiring sucks and yes, I need to learn styling too... Anyway, the tree!

Awesome boxwood , wiring doesn’t look too bad man , watch your wire gauge to branch size , use guy wires if you need to, bring those coils a little closer , that trunk is killer . I think if you finish wiring and move some stuff around you’ll be on your way ! I like it

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Awesome boxwood , wiring doesn’t look too bad man , watch your wire gauge to branch size , use guy wires if you need to, bring those coils a little closer , that trunk is killer . I think if you finish wiring and move some stuff around you’ll be on your way ! I like it

Thanks! I guy wire a lot, mostly because my wiring isn't so good. But, this time I decided it wasn't going to get any better by not doing it! I have a couple of big, stiff branches that need some movement, hence the big wires in some places. I love working on boxwoods!

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm a big fan of boxwoods so I like them no matter what, but I REALLY like that twin trunk a lot.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would be nurturing the low low on this...
Looking to eventually use only the low left branch, cutting the straight left trunk off, leaving the hole feature to work with the new hole from the lop, and eventually cutting the right trunk down to the lowest visable wingnut point.

Oooo...new photo editor! It backbudded that left trunk! That would be sweet!

2018-01-16-05-21-41.jpg

Compact! Kill zone!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looking to eventually use only the low left branch, cutting the straight left trunk off, leaving the hole feature to work with the new hole from the lop, and eventually cutting the right trunk down to the lowest visable wingnut point.

View attachment 174275

Compact! Kill zone!

Sorce

Interesting vert Sorce! It would really take me some time to get the gumption to do those drastic cuts. Lots of work on the top! But, that branch is jet-straight, and 1/2 of it is broken off. I think they put a chain around this one and ripped it out of the ground. It was my least favorite of the 3 when I got them and the best of the 3 now. The Ugly Duckling I guess.

I'll think about it. For a long time:)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 174275

Compact! Kill zone!

Sorce
I'd agree. The tree is too tall and the apex to thin to go with the chunky lower trunk. The lower trunk is minimized by the long thin extension and the top takes attention away from the base, which is the focal point for this tree.

I would lop the top off basically where sorce did. I've had a couple of box like this with the same issue. Less is more...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Something about taking these back, as Larry suggests in that video...

I stopped fearing "these grow slow", when I realized how much better they can become with regrown growth we can control.

So it takes time....
Only if you're counting!

I would consider that chop rather minor considering the health of the rest.

Lots of work on the top!

Lots a PRACTICE!...
for those who need to see it's application!

I see an @DavidBrasil type literate box in the top with an airlayer. Good Work!

People talk about losing seasons with airlayers...blah.
It's a "safety cut" with a bonus!
I only think about it as adding more energy to the bottom, more so when the top roots, more so when it's separated.

They ease the bottom into the transition.
We lose nothing. Only gains.

I only wonder how much farther this Ugly duckling story goes....so far so good!
Don't stop now!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here’s an update of the twin trunk, it’s filled out very nicely. I’ll post again, I hope, after late spring work. I plan to balance the energy between left side and right side by being more aggressive in pruning/thinning the lower canopy on the left

Attachments

• 0A7560A5-D4BF-45BB-998A-114BA99AD984.jpeg
    0A7560A5-D4BF-45BB-998A-114BA99AD984.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Another update on the twin after thinning and cut back. I’ve been on this one for a couple of hours a day for 3 days. 1588733938962.jpeg

Top Bottom