3 Leaf Sumac - Rhus Trilobata

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine is throwing a new shoot from the base. I think I will let it grow into a multi-trunk, if that is what it is inclined to do.
View attachment 393714
Mine are all doing much the same. Unfortunately though the leaves have formed some type of spot. One of which looks real bad, but the others not so much. Have you had any flower buds begin to set? At least I think they are flower buds on mine but I’m not entirely sure.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Have you had any flower buds begin to set? At least I think they are flower buds on mine but I’m not entirely sure.

Hm, good question! I will have to check when I get home from work! I’m getting good backbudding up the trunk though 👍🏼

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh my goodness. I had not even considered that these would have such nice little tiny flowers. Beautiful! I do not have any flower buds on mine…yet…

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh my goodness. I had not even considered that these would have such nice little tiny flowers. Beautiful! I do not have any flower buds on mine…yet…

The males set buds at the branch tips in the fall. I don't believe the females bud out until spring. You may have a girl :D

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Man shogun! 2 1/2 years in and your going hard! 😂
Just honest feedback.. time in shouldn’t matter . You have two trunks but designing as one tree.. if you can some how get separation so it could be twin trunk design In my opinion could be better than it is already.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just honest feedback.. time in shouldn’t matter . You have two trunks but designing as one tree.. if you can some how get separation so it could be twin trunk design In my opinion could be better than it is already.
I don’t mind honest feedback, but your delivery still cracks me up. 😂

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Based upon your development of this tree, I bought three of the cultivar Gro Low last year in 4" pots. I put them in gallon pots and let them grow unrestrained all this past season.
I am looking forward to working with them next year.
BTW, I believe this cultivar are all males.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Based upon your development of this tree, I bought three of the cultivar Gro Low last year in 4" pots. I put them in gallon pots and let them grow unrestrained all this past season.
I am looking forward to working with them next year.
BTW, I believe this cultivar are all males.
I hadn’t even considered the sex, but your probably right penumbra! It’s the flower buds and fall color I love on these, though by the end of last season mine were looking pitiful and I didn’t get the desired color! I think I’ll get some good color this year though!!

Top Bottom