3 needle pine

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Sowed about 150 pinus bungeana today. I also over paid for a few year old seedling on the FB auction. 62F524F7-27FB-4188-AC0B-A230355C0E3C.jpeg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Did you start on the pumila seeds yet? Hopefully mine germinates in spring.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
how do you prevent it? i just go with the numbers game, lots of seeds and hope a few are strong.
Don't plant the seed too close together, this reduces airflow. Spray with fungicide. If you've planted them in a tray, dunk the tray in another tray to water instead of watering from above.

Bungeana / lacebark take the root cutting method very well. I'll have some pictures when I repot my 2021 crop in a month or so.

Good luck!

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Don't plant the seed too close together, this reduces airflow. Spray with fungicide. If you've planted them in a tray, dunk the tray in another tray to water instead of watering from above.

Bungeana / lacebark take the root cutting method very well. I'll have some pictures when I repot my 2021 crop in a month or so.

Good luck!
I would love to see the Bungeana seedling cuttings when you do it.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No, my instructions said it wasn’t needed. I just did a 24 water soak first
Interesting. I did a warm stratification on mine. I'm curious to see what our germination rates will be with and without.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Found a couple more Pinus bungeana at a nursery. They were pretty sad shape. I repotted and we’ll see how they fair
436B4570-6C21-4228-86B0-30FF15F5A8A5.jpeg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Did you ever make it back to that one nursery you mentioned about.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not yet. But the one I just went to had some prunus from France. He said they are the only ones in the US he knows about. He wasn’t selling them
Interesting, curious to know what species.

When you go back to the other one don't forget about me!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found a couple more Pinus bungeana at a nursery. They were pretty sad shape. I repotted and we’ll see how they fair
View attachment 422833
If in poor health hope did not include root pruning. Strongly suspect fertilizer would have solved cosmetic poor health;). What nursery had these?

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
If in poor health hope did not include root pruning. Strongly suspect fertilizer would have solved cosmetic poor health;). What nursery had these?
They were root bound bad. They hadn’t been repotted since they were a year old. Fertilizer will help. I mainly just cut the dead roots and got rid of the poor soil.

Top Bottom