3 needle pine

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B

I am doing my annual seed order and want to try some 3 needle pines. Anyone know of varieties?? I enjoy growing more unusual pines.​

Ponderosa pine​

Jeffery pine

Khasi Pine (Pinus kesiya)​

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
My curiosity was triggered, so I dug up this list that has a couple on them:

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
My curiosity was triggered, so I dug up this list that has a couple on them:
Thanks!

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I saw that one. It has super long needles and wouldn’t survive here as well. I guess I should have put those down.
Thanks though
They can take 21 to 14 °F, the adult needles are long but you can work them with juvenile needles or graft with JBP-JWP, Naka searched Pinus canariensis in nurserys because they make awesome trunks and bark

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
They can take 21 to 14 °F, the adult needles are long but you can work them with juvenile needles or graft with JBP-JWP, Naka searched Pinus canariensis in nurserys because they make awesome trunks and bark
I’ll keep that in mind. I guess it never hurts to try

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you have experience with this pine? Or have you seen them in any bonsai or landscape?
It looks like they might make it here

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Thanks, I saw those. I try and do a search before posting. I went down the rabbit hole of looking for seedlings or go with seeds

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have experience with this pine? Or have you seen them in any bonsai or landscape?
It looks like they might make it here
I have a couple two year old seedlings that are doing fine with no winter prtection here in zone 6. There is a large one at the VA State Arboretum at Blandy Farm, about 15 miles away.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I have a couple two year old seedlings that are doing fine with no winter prtection here in zone 6. There is a large one at the VA State Arboretum at Blandy Farm, about 15 miles away.
Nice! Did you start it from seeds?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks, I saw those. I try and do a search before posting. I went down the rabbit hole of looking for seedlings or go with seeds
I forgot to mention that there is one (or more) in the Japanese Garden of Seattle's Washington Park. IIRC, there are at few more scattered around the UW Arboretum. Oregon U indicates p. bungeana is hardy to zone 4.
At any rate, the species should do well in the Willamette Valley too.

btw, Conifer Kingdom in Silverton has two varieties if you want to start on an older specimen.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I forgot to mention that there is one (or more) in the Japanese Garden of Seattle's Washington Park. IIRC, there are at few more scattered around the UW Arboretum. Oregon U indicates p. bungeana is hardy to zone 4.
At any rate, the species should do well in the Willamette Valley too.

btw, Conifer Kingdom in Silverton has two varieties if you want to start on an older specimen.
Conifer kingdom grafts everything. I probably will just order some seeds and give it a shot.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Schumacher ran out of lacebark after this post….. so I bought 2017 seeds from Sheffield. I bought an ounce (about 200 seeds) I also bought some pinus pumila
Did these do well:confused:?

Top Bottom