3 New Bonsai (Maple, Redwood, Golden Larch)

Taxlord

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey Guys, just wanted to share my new bonsai with you. Just got them from Brussel's. Let me know what you think and what I should do with them - as far as pruning or anything else.

Attachments

• image1-2.JPG
    image1-2.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 114
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 117
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 114
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 112

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you'll have some fun with these trees. Do you know if that is a dawn redwood or a coastal redwood. It's hard to tell from the photo.

Taxlord

Seedling
Reaction score
It's a dawn redwood. I am very excited about them!

I was thinking about air layering the 2 small bottom branches on the maple. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I was thinking about air layering the 2 small bottom branches on the maple. Any thoughts?

Dawn Redwoods and Quince seem to LOVE the southern gumbo/pine bark cheap @SS soil blend Brussel uses. Unless they've changed BPP, that ugly blue tag will also give you the tree's most recent potting date as well for your bonsai record keeping purposes (save it for decision making later on).

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score

Could probably just root them as cuttings, but I might look at other options there. That is a telephone pole straight trunk right now. If you chopped the tree down to just above that second branch, all of a sudden you have some dramatic movement and taper developing! This is still a young tree... You do that now, and let the leader grow for a while, the chop it back to a low node moving back to to he left in a couple years... You could wind up with something pretty cool! This might require you moving the tree to a grow box or the garden to let it grow for a while.. That is up to you. If you like the arrow straight trunk, you still need some taper and some thickening... Just let those two low branches grow for a while to thicken the base and remove them later...

I know nothing of Larch, except that it is not cold enough for them here. Redwoods... I have owned one and it didn't like growing in a pot or in the ground for me. Good luck with all of them!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice!

Definitely leave those bottom branches on the maple.
They ARE the tree!

Sorce

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love all your selections. I agree with bonsai barry, you'll have a lot of fun this year with these. It's my first time handling a dawn redwood as well and from what I can tell you, they are incredibly virile things and are a great joy to be around. Keep us in the loop!

Top Bottom