3 Pot Juniper

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ok so I got a couple more Junipers over the weekend. Big surprise right! Also got a pot for the Juniper I've had since December. I thought a larger pot would grow the Juniper out a little maybe give it a larger trunk. I'm thinking it's to big for the Juniper I got it for. The other 2 junipers one a Shimpaku the other a procumbens just like the one I've had a bit are nice I think but I'm still a noob. The procumbens I got thinking, it go in the square pot from the one I already had. The 2 procumbens are not percolating very well at all, and I'm pretty sure are very root bound although I want know for sure till I get my hands dirty. The Shimpaku is also root bound I'm sure but does drain although not very fast. Water does stand for a few seconds when I'm watering.

Attachments

• IMG_20180221_160914.jpg
    IMG_20180221_160914.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20180221_160934.jpg
    IMG_20180221_160934.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20180221_160927.jpg
    IMG_20180221_160927.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20180221_160922.jpg
    IMG_20180221_160922.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20180221_164433.jpg
    IMG_20180221_164433.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20180221_164427.jpg
    IMG_20180221_164427.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 98

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So I'm going to report the 2 procumbens for sure pretty soon, maybe this weekend. I'm wondering if you guys think the scalloped pot I ordered is to large and I should use some thing else. Maybe put the Shimpaku in the large scalloped pot the procumbens I bought that pot for in the oval pot the Shimpaku is in and the other porcumbens in the square pot as I first intended? Any ideas are welcome.e and thanks

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here are some more pics

Attachments

• IMG_20180221_160905.jpg
    IMG_20180221_160905.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20180221_162755.jpg
    IMG_20180221_162755.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20180221_162821.jpg
    IMG_20180221_162821.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20180221_162658.jpg
    IMG_20180221_162658.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 70

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another question should I bare root these junipers are only work 1/3 the root ball. I seen a larger Juniper repot with only partial soil removal Im just wondering if these should be bare rooted or not when I do repot

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
those are some nice junipers!, and i like the pot and tree pairing for the scalloped pot, but while its a little large for the root ball i would think about a slightly smaller pot but dont bare root them, work to get the old soil out of about half the root ball but dont wash it. That way you keep a balance of working to get the old soil from the roots but still having untouched roots to help it recover, that way next repot you remove the last of the old soil and change it to new stuff. I would't even root prune much since they look healthy and you're not drastically reducing pot size. but if they're not draining well then you should at least take them out of the pot and see whats up. TL;DR dont bare root haha

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok so I got a couple more Junipers over the weekend. Big surprise right! Also got a pot for the Juniper I've had since December. I thought a larger pot would grow the Juniper out a little maybe give it a larger trunk. I'm thinking it's to big for the Juniper I got it for. The other 2 junipers one a Shimpaku the other a procumbens just like the one I've had a bit are nice I think but I'm still a noob. The procumbens I got thinking, it go in the square pot from the one I already had. The 2 procumbens are not percolating very well at all, and I'm pretty sure are very root bound although I want know for sure till I get my hands dirty. The Shimpaku is also root bound I'm sure but does drain although not very fast. Water does stand for a few seconds when I'm watering.
Hi Rick, nice score.
Remarkable how the nebari has been trained by the same artist on the 3rd and 4th pic.
I wouldn't work the roots much on the shimpaku, get the top back and thin lower unless you
had other plans for the top. The new procumbens, I'd be researching how to root over rock on that one :)
I like your new pot, I'm not one to give direction on style of pots because
at the developing stage I'm at in most of mine, I'm more about pot size than pairing style and colour due to funds.
I have a cascade procumbens in a round blue pot. The roots don't give a hoot what the colour is, but the size is right.
I agree with John, on upsizing to the next size pot I think he was saying, a smaller pot meaning
smaller than the new oval, not smaller than the current pot.

If they were mine I'd be working the roots on the new procumbens this year 3rd pic #927
Pruning more on the procumbens in the square pot more, and upsizing the home for the shimpaku
with grow out working the foliage lower a little bit once it's settled in. You have a splendid plan to
just upsize the shimpaku to the next oval. If not interested in root over rock for the other, then yes
swap to the shimpakus pot. If root over rock, maybe a pond basket or similar to your liking.

It appears organics ruled well, so yeh maybe 1/3 removal and use less organics for the new home.
Not blasting organics one bit, I use bark, but like John said...recovery. Keep some then go 50% next time.
Best wishes. Have a swell weekend!

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank for the input. I put the Shimpaku in the scalloped pot the 1st Juniper I got last year in it's pot, and the next procumbens in the sqaure pot. I know it's a bit early. I have repotted everything I have now and after reading I should/ could have waited longer on the conifers. But I'm a noob so blah. Everything I have is new to me and my elms and maples are going wild, and the pines were in bad soil, alone with the junipers not draining. I wanted to get everything in new soil so I know what's happening. I will have to bring everything in the house if we get a cold snap but so be it. Here are updated pics I did just HBR the junipers

Attachments

• IMG_20180225_081608.jpg
    IMG_20180225_081608.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20180225_081743.jpg
    IMG_20180225_081743.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20180225_081655.jpg
    IMG_20180225_081655.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 41

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you are fine with the repotting. I am only a few hours north of you and I am going to repot a couple today. Both are showing a lot of new growth already. Did you get these at Bonsai Beginnings?

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you are fine with the repotting. I am only a few hours north of you and I am going to repot a couple today. Both are showing a lot of new growth already. Did you get these at Bonsai Beginnings?
Yes from Bill at Bonsai Beginnings every thing he has in need of repotting, and I think he waits to long to repot. Doesn't do any root work that I can tell but he has a full time job. To be honest if he wasn't so close I'd probably go elsewhere, but he's only a few miles away. I'm trying to get to know him so I can help him with his stuff. That way I can learn and hopefully we improve his stock and give me more room to work on stuff since I live in a tight trailer park and don't have much room

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
what is your blend of soil?
I'm using 1/4 Pumice, Lava, Turface, and DE now. With some bark mixed in cause everyone around here says if you don't use bark they want last. I paid a little for those Junipers, and didn't want to take any chances on loosing them. I so new I'm not sure what works here in my zone yet. The other trees I've repotted in the last week was just 1/4 each Pumice, Lava, Turface, and DE but those are cheaper trees so if I loose one or two they want hurt as much. But I will know from these what I can use next repotting. I'm thinking sorta of a Boon's mix but with DE instead of Akadama next repot. I'll see how this goes, and how the roots look when I repot these trees in a few years. Everything is experimenting for me right now. Learning what works here in Savannah and what works for my work schedule since I do not have a auto watering system set up atm .

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm using 1/4 Pumice, Lava, Turface, and DE now. With some bark mixed in cause everyone around here says if you don't use bark they want last. I paid a little for those Junipers, and didn't want to take any chances on loosing them. I so new I'm not sure what works here in my zone yet. The other trees I've repotted in the last week was just 1/4 each Pumice, Lava, Turface, and DE but those are cheaper trees so if I loose one or two they want hurt as much. But I will know from these what I can use next repotting. I'm thinking sorta of a Boon's mix but with DE instead of Akadama next repot. I'll see how this goes, and how the roots look when I repot these trees in a few years. Everything is experimenting for me right now. Learning what works here in Savannah and what works for my work schedule since I do not have a auto watering system set up atm .
Yeh I'm new to a lot of options, and so on myself.
So many of the abbreviations are foreign to me too. Just learned ROR today LOL!
What's the difference in the DE and turface? I was of the opinion they were one of the same.
Also, I don't have a sketch program on my pc yet, but do you have a plan on these junipers in mind yet?

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What's the difference in the DE and turface? I was of the opinion they were one of the same.
Turface is clay used to absorb water on baseball infield so games don't get rained out. It holds water very well. DE or Diatomaceous Earth not sure if I spelled it correctly, is mined old lake beds where Diatoms lived and died and is their skeletons. From what I've read also hold water very well, and releases water more freely to plants than does Turface. Neither is an exact match to the Japanese Akadama clay, but of the two Ryan Neil says DE is closer to Akadama. I am still learning, and my knowledge so far is from reading, and videos alone so DO NOT take my word for this. I am experimenting to find out what works here, and for me. The reason I have Turface in my mix is, I was gonna use a version of Boon's mix using 1:1:1 Lava, Pumice, Turface. (Boon's mix =1:1:1 Lava, Pumice, Akadama) After watching Ryan's video on soil I wanted to try DE. But I already had Turface mixed in with the pumice, and lava I had purchased. So I just added DE to my mix making it 1/4 ea. of the four products. This may be a bad thing or not.
. this is the link for Ryan's video were he talks about DE. Now a lot of people here swear by Turface some swear by DE, and some say both are junk and only cause problems with roots. Akadama is the ONLY way to grow Bonsai according to some. Big difference of opinion here. So I'm just going through my on learning process, and will try all. That way I know what works for me and my area along with my work schedule. Turface 50lbs locally $10.95. DE bought at Napa Auto Parts ( Napa Oil Dry #8822) 20lbs or 25lbs for $10 locally. the stuff from Napa and the Turface seem to be small particle size according to Ryan's videos. I guess that may not be the case for all different types of trees. Optisorb is another DE which is supposed to have larger particle size, and I've found on line but have not ordered yet. Next year for Optisorb.
Hope this isn't to long an explaination.
Thanks Rick

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is some pics of some stuff I was repotting last weekend, and I believe is what the guys are saying is bad about turface. They are saying it causes problems with roots and these were potted in turface and have some bare spits we're roots should be I'm thinking. I'm guess I am still a complete noob

Attachments

• IMG_20180213_164739.jpg
    IMG_20180213_164739.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20180213_164732.jpg
    IMG_20180213_164732.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20180213_164725.jpg
    IMG_20180213_164725.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20180213_164714.jpg
    IMG_20180213_164714.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 23

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Number 1 pot very nice/good for juniper:). All trees need time to grow big trunk in growing pot or ground no need for Bonsai pot yet;).

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes from Bill at Bonsai Beginnings every thing he has in need of repotting, and I think he waits to long to repot. Doesn't do any root work that I can tell but he has a full time job. To be honest if he wasn't so close I'd probably go elsewhere, but he's only a few miles away. I'm trying to get to know him so I can help him with his stuff. That way I can learn and hopefully we improve his stock and give me more room to work on stuff since I live in a tight trailer park and don't have much room

Great way/place to get good deal as well;).

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Turface is clay used to absorb water on baseball infield so games don't get rained out. It holds water very well. DE or Diatomaceous Earth not sure if I spelled it correctly, is mined old lake beds where Diatoms lived and died and is their skeletons. From what I've read also hold water very well, and releases water more freely to plants than does Turface. Neither is an exact match to the Japanese Akadama clay, but of the two Ryan Neil says DE is closer to Akadama. I am still learning, and my knowledge so far is from reading, and videos alone so DO NOT take my word for this. I am experimenting to find out what works here, and for me. The reason I have Turface in my mix is, I was gonna use a version of Boon's mix using 1:1:1 Lava, Pumice, Turface. (Boon's mix =1:1:1 Lava, Pumice, Akadama) After watching Ryan's video on soil I wanted to try DE. But I already had Turface mixed in with the pumice, and lava I had purchased. So I just added DE to my mix making it 1/4 ea. of the four products. This may be a bad thing or not.

. this is the link for Ryan's video were he talks about DE. Now a lot of people here swear by Turface some swear by DE, and some say both are junk and only cause problems with roots. Akadama is the ONLY way to grow Bonsai according to some. Big difference of opinion here. So I'm just going through my on learning process, and will try all. That way I know what works for me and my area along with my work schedule. Turface 50lbs locally $10.95. DE bought at Napa Auto Parts ( Napa Oil Dry #8822) 20lbs or 25lbs for $10 locally. the stuff from Napa and the Turface seem to be small particle size according to Ryan's videos. I guess that may not be the case for all different types of trees. Optisorb is another DE which is supposed to have larger particle size, and I've found on line but have not ordered yet. Next year for Optisorb.
Hope this isn't to long an explaination.
Thanks Rick

I knew that
t1848.gif
I meant Turface, MVP and calcined clay are one of the same thing.
Today is the 1st day without a migraine in a week or more. Feels good to have broke the cycle.
Try reading with a hangover. I actually heard a spider hit the floor in my sunroom yesterday next to me.

Thank you, I added that video to my watch later list on youtube.
I got the Napa 8822 DE added into my mix. You have no idea how ansy I am to get potting up.
March may be colder than Feb this year. Winds will be tougher for repots through Spring than Feb was.
My junipers are trying to wake up too.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here is some pics of some stuff I was repotting last weekend, and I believe is what the guys are saying is bad about turface. They are saying it causes problems with roots and these were potted in turface and have some bare spits we're roots should be I'm thinking. I'm guess I am still a complete noob
WoW! Good to know. Thanks for posting the pics.
This is my 1st year to mix my own separate components, and feel the same way.

Do you have any idea what the ratio of that Turface mix was. It wasn't straight turface was it?
If you go to get more DE and want the more coarse, closer to 1/4"...
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/p...alcined-diatomaceous-earth.32246/#post-535848

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It was pretty much straight turface. I was over at his place Sunday we repotted a dozen or so trees and his mix is turface with potting soil. He does not sieve any of it either. That was the problem with drainage I was having I think. With so much fine material in it it just stops up drain holes

Top Bottom