3 pots, 3 oxides

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
In my on-going attempt to learn to brush oxides on bisque and not create brush-marks, I tried applying the oxides brushing in alternate directions. I applied 4 coats, 2 horizontally, and 2 vertically on the exterior walls of the pots. I think this method may work, but as you can see from these pictures, WAY TOO much oxide is applied, so I think I need to water it down to make it much thinner.

here is Red Iron Oxide
red_iron_oxide.jpg

This is very odd for manganese dioxide which usually comes out a nice neutral brown. This turned almost metallic gray. Very strange.
manganese_dioxide.jpg

And last is Yellow Ocher, which is actually very yellow when applied, but turned a very dark and matt brown. This pot has walls that are half as thin as i usually make them. I rolled out the slab to 1/8 inch instead of 1/4 inch. Very light weight pot
yellow_ochre.jpg

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On the RIO pot, was there some other surface treatment to make the big drips, or was that just the oxide? What clay body are you using?

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
I used my standard clay Idaho Buff Grog, which is a very light tan. The surface was very smooth with no texture applied. I'm lucky because I think another coat of oxide would have caused a big mess on the kiln shelves. The RIO fluxed into, almost a glaze, all on its own.

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
RIO pot is interesting, can you get an angled photo like the other two pots.

Did you fire to ^6? slow or fast?

Just curious as I'm doing a load in the morning.

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
Slow ramp up to cone 6, standard cooling. This is the opposite long side, the coolest part is the bead of RIO that formed on the bottom edge. The bead is nice and even, which leads me to believe the method of application is good, albeit too heavy. I think when I get this technique down, I'll have it nailed. I feel like I'm just a few pots away.

red_iron_oxide_2.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great thread Boon!

On the first pot, what was the percentage of oxide to water? It turned out very interesting. The second pot blows me away! Did you brush this on too?

Very interesting:)

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
Great thread Boon!

On the first pot, what was the percentage of oxide to water? It turned out very interesting. The second pot blows me away! Did you brush this on too?

Very interesting:)

I've been searching for my notes and I can't seem to find them. If memory serves it was either 100 or 150 grams RIO to 750ml water. But don't quote me. I'll update this when I find my notes. Another lesson learned.... I should have written it on the label right on the container I keep it in.

Yes, these are all brushed. What I would like to do, is find the right ratio of oxide to water that requires 4 or 5 coats. Those multiple brushed on coats, applied alternately... (first coat, horizontal, second coat, vertical, third horizontal, forth vertical) looks like a way to avoid brush marks.

Top Bottom