3-trunk conifer tree identification?

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm asking for some help in identifying this three-trunk conifer tree that grows near my office. I picked a few cones off of it and thought that if I plant these seeds, I might have a really nice bonsai in 20 or 30 years. :)

The tree's tallest point is 12-14 feet tall. It lives in Sacramento, CA and seems to love getting blasted by our summer sun. I've included:
  • Picture of the tree
  • Picture of last year's cones (they are still on the tree)
  • Picture of this year's cone
  • Close up of the tips of a branch
Thanks in advance!
IMG_7274.JPGIMG_7278.JPGIMG_7275.JPGIMG_7276.JPG

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm asking for some help in identifying this three-trunk conifer tree that grows near my office. I picked a few cones off of it and thought that if I plant these seeds, I might have a really nice bonsai in 20 or 30 years. :)

The tree's tallest point is 12-14 feet tall. It lives in Sacramento, CA and seems to love getting blasted by our summer sun. I've included:
  • Picture of the tree
Thanks in advance!
View attachment 201679View attachment 201682View attachment 201680View attachment 201681

• Picture of the tree
Thanks in advance!
View attachment 201679View attachment 201682View attachment 201680View attachment 201681
Shin we have noticed an issue with your productivity this week. Jk Think it's a pine.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20180718-131045_Google.jpg
    SmartSelect_20180718-131045_Google.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's some 2-needle pine.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't chime in, on ID's if I'm not 100% certain but here I go... but with a disclaimer. I can only 100% ID eatern US pines, don't know my west coast flora well enough. But i wouldn't be surprised if that was a japanese black pine. DOesn't look like any of your natives off the top of my head

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Dig it up! :D

Let's do it. You lift one trunk, I'll lift another trunk, and I bet that we can drop it into a pot!

But i wouldn't be surprised if that was a japanese black pine.

@GGB Based on your suggestion of Japanese Black Pine, I found this thread (https://bonsaitonight.com/2016/08/17/grow-japanese-black-pine-seed/) that has pictures of JBP cones, and it looks like a match. So, I'll call it a Japanese Black Pine for now. Thank you to everyone who helped!

Reactions: GGB

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Let's do it. You lift one trunk, I'll lift another trunk, and I bet that we can drop it into a pot!

@GGB Based on your suggestion of Japanese Black Pine, I found this thread (https://bonsaitonight.com/2016/08/17/grow-japanese-black-pine-seed/) that has pictures of JBP cones, and it looks like a match. So, I'll call it a Japanese Black Pine for now. Thank you to everyone who helped!
I slipped outside to the nursery and took this picture of an immature cone on one of my Japanese Black Pine for an additional reference point.IMG_1095.JPG

Top Bottom