3 year old Mikawa JBP seedlings

Aukai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am about to purchase some 3 year old Mikawa JBP seedings and was wondering if I use the same 1:1:1 mix or should it be a different set up? Also any training techniques. I am going to repot them in a short wide terra cotta for awhile. I live in the KCMO area. Ty

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Terra cotta doesn't hold up well in freezing conditions. Just get some pond baskets from a big box store. They are UV resistant and will outlast terra cotta by a long shot.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The idea behind the terracotta was,

when winter comes, you take your trees out of the pot, and place them in the ground with
leaf coverage.
The pots are put away.

Terracotta is considered to be best for plants because they cool the earth through
evaporation of water.
Also less chance of killing by water saturation.
Also suspect, the clay is a bank for fertiliser in solution.

If you read the older Japanese books, they show the above.

Also these ideas are based on plants native to your area.
Good Day
Anthony

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The idea behind the terracotta was,

when winter comes, you take your trees out of the pot, and place them in the ground with
leaf coverage.
The pots are put away.

The problem is if you tie your tree in your pot. Like you should. It is not possible to just slip it out of the pot.

The other is if you use something like the mix the OP plans on using it will not necessarily hold together after one season.

I would use regular nursery pots, pond baskets or colanders.

Aukai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks to everyones input on the container...what about soil?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks to everyones input on the container...what about soil?
It depends on your weather. Pines like dry feet! My climate has wet winters so i use a drier mix. 20% Akadama,40% pumice,20% Lava,20% grit. Young pines have heavy top growth so i add grit for weight and stability without adding extra water retention. Also use a shallow drainage layer of larger grit. 1/4 to 1/2 particle size. That way the particle size is not too different and i do not have to be concerned about the perched water effect.

Top Bottom