3 years after Red Pine approach graft

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This tree had a very straight trunk section with no lower branches. It was seed grown. 3 years ago I decided to approach graft a branch onto the trunk to hopefully become the future extension of the trunk line.

The time has now come to take it further.

This is a view of the whole tree..

P1120464.JPG

A bit closer..

P1120463.JPG

Close up of the graft. After 3 years of completely free growth, it appears to have fused nicely.. It was made very simply by taking a pencil thick branch and cutting a notch in the trunk deep enough to sink the branch into it completely. You really can't fail.

P1120466.JPG

The useless straight part.

P1120467.JPG

Donor branch and trunk cut off...

P1120468.JPG

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am surprised that the foliage-side stem of the approach is no thicker than the root-side. It suggests to me that the graft really hasn't fused.

'fingers crossed'

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I am surprised that the foliage-side stem of the approach is no thicker than the root-side. It suggests to me that the graft really hasn't fused.

'fingers crossed'
It's the same size because there is no restriction across the top of the graft as there is in a thread graft.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think the graft is an improvement but I would have been a bit more conservative with the tree at this point. I would have left the growth above the graft there to help heal where the graft was separated.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

'fingers crossed'
I was thinking the same thing. Time will tell. My practice is to weaken the stem side by shaving the top and bottom of the stem’s cambium layer off first. Making the scion draw from the graft more.

Top Bottom