8b
I think worth every penny you paid.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice purchase!

I have been trying to be disciplined myself! There are two very large bloodgoods at a local nursery and they offered them to me for 30 each. Trying to remain strong!

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice purchase!

I have been trying to be disciplined myself! There are two very large bloodgoods at a local nursery and they offered them to me for 30 each. Trying to remain strong!
Bloodgood maples don't make good bonsai, so hopefully that helps :)

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
How many layers will you go for?

I think if it was mine, (not that you asked for my opinion) I’d layer at the red lines first. Then the blue line a year or 2 later. 22ED79D5-D6AB-41C8-A1EF-A0D3995AA461.jpeg
By the way, nice score!

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like doing layers right at the internode where two branches branch off from each other. You can either have a quicker twin trunk or sacrifice one for a larger nebari. But since you are practicing maybe do as many as you can. I’ve gone as low as 1/4 inch trunk layers. I did one last spring at a internode that had 5 branches coming off. It looks like a clump but is just a single layer.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can plan your layers for spring now by pruning and removing all the branches that will be in your way in spring. Cutting around the bark and having to put your media holder on the branch can become annoying and harder with tons of leaves and branches in the way of your work. It’s good to have a healthy amount of foliage above the layer but it doesn’t need to be excessive.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not a bad score to do some learning with. Is there a cultivar name on the tag or does it just say Japanese Maple?

Fi5ch

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How many layers will you go for?

I think if it was mine, (not that you asked for my opinion) I’d layer at the red lines first. Then the blue line a year or 2 later. View attachment 458803
By the way, nice score!

I was thinking a little higher above the red lines, my concern being that those branches are at least 1" thick, and it would be harder for an air layer to take on thicker material. Am I wrong there?

Going ~3" above the red lines gets me to 3/4" thick branches; would that be a better spot with a higher rate of success?

Fi5ch

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not a bad score to do some learning with. Is there a cultivar name on the tag or does it just say Japanese Maple?
Unfortunately it's just "Japanese Green Maple".

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Unfortunately it's just "Japanese Green Maple".

See if you like the autumn colors, and spring colors too. Take photos. If really boring, only make one air layer to get most interesting leafless tree. Meaning, best bonsai have good winter (leafless) silhouettes. If the spring and autumn colors are noteworthy, then you might want to make more than one.

While leafless over winter will be the best time to plan the positions for the air layers.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I was thinking a little higher above the red lines, my concern being that those branches are at least 1" thick, and it would be harder for an air layer to take on thicker material. Am I wrong there?

Going ~3" above the red lines gets me to 3/4" thick branches; would that be a better spot with a higher rate of success?
Yes, you definitely can go higher up for more and quicker layers. I think this is a smart move.
However, if you want to go thicker, you most certainly can. It will may just take a bit longer to get the roots you’ll want.
+what @Leo in N E Illinois said about the interest in fall color and silhouette is key. You’ll see how much propagation you wish to do.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've learned a great deal working with these Home Depot maples (and killed a bunch of them), and have a good time in the process without breaking the bank. I picked one of these up earlier in the season and used ropes and weight to bend the trunk.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've learned a great deal working with these Home Depot maples (and killed a bunch of them), and have a good time in the process without breaking the bank. I picked one of these up earlier in the season and used ropes and weight to bend the trunk.
I wish I could find them more often. I have picked up two and lost one very quickly the other has grown nicely. I have been hoping to pick up more to put in the ground but had not seen anything year.

Top Bottom