#30 on a list to 100 unique gifts for men....BONSAI.How many got their start that way

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I sort of did. I was friends through business with a guy who happened to be one of the handful of people who helped start the National Bonsai Foundation. That didnt mean anything to me at the time, but he also was the President of one of the local clubs. Over the course of several years my interest grew and I must have mentioned him to my wife. Well, for Christmas she got me a mallsai juniper that I thought looked really nice on my mantel. It did for about a month...but it was enough to get me hooked. Now I'm President of that club that I joined about 20 years ago.
Looking at the tree on Amazon from that link you posted, I'd be surprised if anyone who gets that would continue in the pursuit. But then, a novice wouldnt know that the pictured tree is a bit ugly.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Darlene,

Being part Chinese, helps one get into many of the Oriental Arts, calligraphy, ink painting, and so on.
And so no, it was not a gift that got me into Bonsai.
I simply looked over a then friend's shoulder and got curious.

Plus, I doubt anyone would have given me a Bonsai as a gift, a soldering iron or hand saw, hand planer, or wrench for a car, yes.
Good Day
Anthony

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I sort of did. I was friends through business with a guy who happened to be one of the handful of people who helped start the National Bonsai Foundation. That didnt mean anything to me at the time, but he also was the President of one of the local clubs. Over the course of several years my interest grew and I must have mentioned him to my wife. Well, for Christmas she got me a mallsai juniper that I thought looked really nice on my mantel. It did for about a month...but it was enough to get me hooked. Now I'm President of that club that I joined about 20 years ago.
Looking at the tree on Amazon from that link you posted, I'd be surprised if anyone who gets that would continue in the pursuit. But then, a novice wouldnt know that the pictured tree is a bit ugly.

That is really a great story of how you got started! Thanks for sharing.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Darlene,

Being part Chinese, helps one get into many of the Oriental Arts, calligraphy, ink painting, and so on.
And so no, it was not a gift that got me into Bonsai.
I simply looked over a then friend's shoulder and got curious.

Plus, I doubt anyone would have given me a Bonsai as a gift, a soldering iron or hand saw, hand planer, or wrench for a car, yes.
Good Day
Anthony

Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself. I hadn't known you were part Chinese...my son took one year of mandarin in 8th grade. It was taught by a college professor. Sadly there wasn't a huge interest and he only had that one year. For our school dropped the course offered the following year.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Darlene,

my grandfather came over sometime around 1915 or so. He spoke a dialect from South China, and as each zone had a different dialect, he couldn't talk to Uncle K's grandfather also from South China.

Interesting that your son could at least speak some Chinese, my dad could, I can't.
By the way the other half is English.

Most Trinidadians, are mixed, even the very White, unless both parents are European, they tend to have something in the mix, though they retain the straight blonde hair/blue eyed look.

I found this and thought you might enjoy.
From 1981 -then 97 and today [ almost, this image is about 2 years old. ] Texas Ebony.
Never been ground grown, just potting up.
Belongs to Uncle K, he started Bonsai because he loved trees, and when he was about 16, an enlightened friend, who had an enlightened Irish mum told him about Bonsai.
K was wondering how to take home a local tree, A Samaan [ allso know as the one acre tree -chuckle.]
Good Day
Anthony

Attachments

• texas.jpg
    texas.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 17
  • TE.jpg
    TE.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 16

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Darlene,

my grandfather came over sometime around 1915 or so. He spoke a dialect from South China, and as each zone had a different dialect, he couldn't talk to Uncle K's grandfather also from South China.

Interesting that your son could at least speak some Chinese, my dad could, I can't.
By the way the other half is English.

Most Trinidadians, are mixed, even the very White, unless both parents are European, they tend to have something in the mix, though they retain the straight blonde hair/blue eyed look.

I found this and thought you might enjoy.
From 1981 -then 97 and today [ almost, this image is about 2 years old. ] Texas Ebony.
Never been ground grown, just potting up.
Belongs to Uncle K, he started Bonsai because he loved trees, and when he was about 16, an enlightened friend, who had an enlightened Irish mum told him about Bonsai.
K was wondering how to take home a local tree, A Samaan [ allso know as the one acre tree -chuckle.]
Good Day
Anthony
That is an interesting fact...that your grandfather coming from another zone in South China couldn't understand another from South China. I am sure if I mention it to my son...he would start throwing out facts he learned back from his class. He didn't learn a whole lot of the language but can speak some. He was extremely into Mandarin. I see him taking it once more when he gets to college. (Is it still like that do you know...the dialect of Chinese and the zones?) For now...I told him to take Spanish. For it will help on our mission trips knowing the language spoken there. The Christmas he was taking Mandarin...he got a lot of Chinese cultured items for Christmas. One a seal with our last name in Chinese with his zodiac sign which was a huge hit...an old carved mother of pearl tangram along with a few other things. He won't let many handle the tangram. Is extremely old...

I appreciated the photos of the bonsai...it is amazing seeing it in several stages of its life with years passing. :cool:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My first exposure to bonsai was when I was in high school while attending an orchid show (my brother is an enthusiast and a breeder). In the Philippines, bonsai and orchid usually go together (back then at least). I actually bought a Serissa if I am not mistaken and potted it. It stayed in the same 4" pot for more than 10 years w/o doing anything other than watering & pruning (no re-potting). I wonder how it survived that long. I clearly did not have any knowledge of what bonsai is and what its needs are. It was still alive when I left the Philippines but that was more than 20 years ago and I do not know what happened to it.

That bug stayed with me and it got re-kindled 2 years ago, this time I went full bore. Did lots of online research, watched videos, read tons of books and magazines. My very first bonsai is a fukien tea which I bough via eBay. Mallsai has their place and sometimes help fuel a newbie's enthusiasm. The next ones are the big stumps from Puerto Rico (also via eBay)...about a dozen of them. Then I started collecting locally and buying local trees from Lowe's, Costco, Walmart, Home Depot and some landscaping nurseries.

BTW, my fukien tea's picture is being used by an online vendor for selling FT bonsai. LOL :rolleyes: I don't mind...I'm honored actually. :D

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My first exposure to bonsai was when I was in high school while attending an orchid show (my brother is an enthusiast and a breeder). In the Philippines, bonsai and orchid usually go together (back then at least). I actually bought a Serissa if I am not mistaken and potted it. It stayed in the same 4" pot for more than 10 years w/o doing anything other than watering & pruning (no re-potting). I wonder how it survived that long. I clearly did not have any knowledge of what bonsai is and what its needs are. It was still alive when I left the Philippines but that was more than 20 years ago and I do not know what happened to it.

That bug stayed with me and it got re-kindled 2 years ago, this time I went full bore. Did lots of online research, watched videos, read tons of books and magazines. My very first bonsai is a fukien tea which I bough via eBay. Mallsai has their place and sometimes help fuel a newbie's enthusiasm. The next ones are the big stumps from Puerto Rico (also via eBay)...about a dozen of them. Then I started collecting locally and buying local trees from Lowe's, Costco, Walmart, Home Depot and some landscaping nurseries.

BTW, my fukien tea's picture is being used by an online vendor for selling FT bonsai. LOL :rolleyes: I don't mind...I'm honored actually. :D

Wow...you kept a Serrissa that long with only limited care. That is impressive. (Though a book I have on Bougainvilleas...the bonsai section talks of never needing to repot...if you use I believe Lyme) but it sounds as if you didn't even do that. Living in ideal conditions for it also most likely helped. For I keep reading at how hard they are to keep alive...and also how many live ones are tossed out when one feels it has died.

Curious...does your brother have any bonsai to speak of? That is rather COOL :cool: someone is using your photo...I sure hope they got permission first though. Or that is rather...tacky of them. Still cool though.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Curious...does your brother have any bonsai to speak of? That is rather COOL :cool: someone is using your photo...I sure hope they got permission first though. Or that is rather...tacky of them. Still cool though.

Nope, he never got to bonsai. Likewise, though I liked orchid flowers I never got into orchids too. Though I have a couple now because they were gifted to my wife (Walmart or grocery bough). Amazingly, the 2 phalaenopsis we have is NEVER been without flower for almost 1.5 years now LOL. Prolific little things, though currently they only have a couple and may soon break the streak. It is winter so I'll give them a rest.

One even have a "baby" on one of it's flower stalks. One leaf and a root...it is so cute! LOL

The pic was "stolen" from the eBay listing...before the tree became mine. As far as I know, no permission was taken.

Top Bottom