Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Will I get one if I piss you off.... You would be proud to have your stand under my tree!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I got bad news though. Im at taco Bell eating a burrito on a wood run. It's been a lot of years since I bought any quantities of supplies. I needed more wood for all the stands I want to build. I had no idea how much hardwood has gone up. Exotic wood is now out of the question. Even mahogany which was super cheap is around 7.00 a board foot. I'm eating lunch and then going to a supplier I have used in the past. Will see what he has to say. I might be making a midnight run to the shopping center looking for pallets!!!
If you’re eating Taco Bell, the real bad news is going to hit you later on tonight...hope the wood run isn’t far!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you’re eating Taco Bell, the real bad news is going to hit you later on tonight...hope the wood run isn’t far!
I carry Imodium, never leave home without it. I take Metformin and Potassium Citrate , thats a lethal potion for needing a bathroom at all times. 4 or 5 years ago it was Hell, but I have it whooped now.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today I glued up some more tops. One more Kifu size and two more Shohin size. The rest of the day was spent on trying to perfect a technique for making the thin stands I see in Japan so much on Shohin Box stands.

The stands are thin because you don't want the stand to add too much height between the shelves. This is what I came up with. This was just wood I had around and these are routed from a solid block with multiple passes thru the router table with different bits. My fingers are just way too close for this type of work for me. I'll be glad to get back to the larger stands. The rectangle ones are 5 x 7 and I made two square ones to use as accent stands or small round potted trees. One is 5 x 5 and one is 3.5 x 3.5.

DSC_0005.JPGDSC_0006.JPGDSC_0009.JPGDSC_0011.JPG

I'll continue adding more finish through out the week.
DSC_0012.JPG

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
beautiful stands Al. Another recent thread had me looking into some of your other stands online, VERY NICE!! Pretty cool to see your talents extend past Bonsai. And as I make a living as a full time designer/carpenter its all about efficiency in production!! Great Job!!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Worked on stands again today. I have about 10 irons in the fire right now. Some coming your way soon in the selling area. Not stands yet but other things.

All the tops got sanded twice today. First with 120 grit and then 220. they will be hand sanded with 400 before stain and then after that with the finish. So the first batch has 13 stands in it. 9 Shohin size and 4 Kifu sized. while all of them were sanded today the first 5 Shohin stands underwent machining for the style they will represent. They will be ladder stands like this.

DSC_0005.JPG

The tops and legs have a groove down the center and the top has rounded corners. None of that is easy to do free hand so I had to make accommodations in my router table to do that. This is 4 shohin tops and 4 Kifu tops sanded
008.JPG

This is the 5 Shohin tops sanded and all the grooving finished.
009.JPG

009a.JPG

The leg material was also grooved ready to be cut and installed. They have not been sanded as of yet.

010.JPG

This a thought for a leg on the Kifu size tables. Still thinking about this for a day or two.

011.JPG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Worked on stands again today. I have about 10 irons in the fire right now. Some coming your way soon in the selling area. Not stands yet but other things.

All the tops got sanded twice today. First with 120 grit and then 220. they will be hand sanded with 400 before stain and then after that with the finish. So the first batch has 13 stands in it. 9 Shohin size and 4 Kifu sized. while all of them were sanded today the first 5 Shohin stands underwent machining for the style they will represent. They will be ladder stands like this.

View attachment 239037

The tops and legs have a groove down the center and the top has rounded corners. None of that is easy to do free hand so I had to make accommodations in my router table to do that. This is 4 shohin tops and 4 Kifu tops sanded
View attachment 239038

This is the 5 Shohin tops sanded and all the grooving finished.
View attachment 239039

View attachment 239040

The leg material was also grooved ready to be cut and installed. They have not been sanded as of yet.

View attachment 239041

This a thought for a leg on the Kifu size tables. Still thinking about this for a day or two.

View attachment 239042
Great stuff. Nothing beats great woodwork. (That’s what she said)

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Al,
Let me know when they are done and if I can buy one from you!
Steve (Tona)

D

Deleted member 21616

How are these coming along?

would it ever interest you to make a wire caddy(s)?

D

Top Bottom