30 Stands

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know....what the Hell are you doing Keppler, flooding the market?

If I'm going to make one, I may as well make thirty. 22 Shohin size and 8 Kifu size. Larger ones down the road as I get going. Even Shohin size stands take a lot of wood to make. It takes as much time to make a small one as a large one, maybe more. All the router work is tiny and miters are tiny. These all will have Ribbon Sapele tops with Cherry borders and legs. All of them will be dyed and finished.

The Shohin size will be 8 x 6 and the center display area will be 7 x 5
The Kifu size will be 12 x 8 and the center display will be 10 5/8 x 6 5/8

More later. I'm pooped for the day.....

DSC_0001.JPGDSC_0002.JPGDSC_0003.JPGDSC_0004.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those contraptions in the middle (the one with three compartments) are jigs that I use for making the tops. On the Shohin I can make three at a time. I will make a few more for the Kifu size tomorrow. I made one today just to have something for cutting the material. I have all the stuff to make more just need to glue and clamp them up. So when I make the tops, after I glue them all up I pop them in the jig, put one corner in the jig and square it up and then use all the small wedges you see to clamp the borders on. Thats after I tongue and groove all the parts. So much detail, but I want them to look as good as possible.

DSC_00011.JPG

D

Deleted member 21616

exciting! please keep us posted with detail shots as this progresses :)

i wish i had time for woodworking! Enjoy every minute!!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice grain in the sapele, hardwood, love the way it finishes. Cherry trim, stain on the two will work nicely. Great choices! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will these be for sale? If so, can I be first?

They will be for sale. As soon as I get a dozen or so out there, they will be offered here first. I do have paypal so it can be super easy.
exciting! please keep us posted with detail shots as this progresses :)

i wish i had time for woodworking! Enjoy every minute!!
I didn't until I retired. Now I'm working harder than when I worked.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They will be for sale. As soon as I get a dozen or so out there, they will be offered here first. I do have paypal so it can be super easy.

I didn't until I retired. Now I'm working harder than when I worked.
I’m glad to see you doing this, Al, your stands are great!

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for the sneak preview of your stands. I’m glad that you’re sharing your skill with the bonsai community.

I’d be honored to own a stand made by your hands, so please take my money. :)

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd better get crackin' to get make a good enough tree for one of your classy tables...…..

…….you just need to keep truckin' for twenty or so years....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Enjoy your new future. I re-activated the old 401k so when I retire, I'll have enough bread to pay you!:(:D:D:D:D:D

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yesterday I ran all the edging material thru the planer. Did all the grooving on the tops and ran all the tongues on the edging. Started the first four. Had to make a new jig for the shohin stands. I made the center board just a tad larger than I usually do. I want to be able to allow everyone to acommodate your pot on these. If your pot don't fit, it ain't shohin.
Today I make four more and sand these and get ready to start cutting legs and drilling a million holes. You'll see.......

DSC_00021.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got bad news though. Im at taco Bell eating a burrito on a wood run. It's been a lot of years since I bought any quantities of supplies. I needed more wood for all the stands I want to build. I had no idea how much hardwood has gone up. Exotic wood is now out of the question. Even mahogany which was super cheap is around 7.00 a board foot. I'm eating lunch and then going to a supplier I have used in the past. Will see what he has to say. I might be making a midnight run to the shopping center looking for pallets!!!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got bad news though. Im at taco Bell eating a burrito on a wood run. It's been a lot of years since I bought any quantities of supplies. I needed more wood for all the stands I want to build. I had no idea how much hardwood has gone up. Exotic wood is now out of the question. Even mahogany which was super cheap is around 7.00 a board foot. I'm eating lunch and then going to a supplier I have used in the past. Will see what he has to say. I might be making a midnight run to the shopping center looking for pallets!!!
I was curious as the last time i purchased ribbon sapele it was very pricy. This was six years ago!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1/3 the way there on tops. 10 now. 7 Shohin and 3 Kifu

DSC_00012.JPG

Top Bottom