30 Year Old Nigra

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is one of three Austrian Pines that I started from seedlings before I started bonsai. It still a work in progress. The species ramifies very slowly.

The needles have been smaller but the health of the tree seems to suffer in the log run. Until it becomes show quality I think they'll stay about like this.

Next will probably be a new container.

20171212_114855.jpg

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
right on, love seeing lesser used stuff that actually looks good

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice one, do you decandle? My first pine was a austrian pine, after giving it a "maple" rootcut (and trunk-shop) he told me he didn't like it.
Yes and no. No I don't decade as Austrians do not put out a second flush of growth. That said I've been known to cut last year's growth in half in the spring and it will form two or three buds that growing season where there was only one before. I never did this to more than 1/3 of the total shoots on a branch.

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the way you have developed this tree.
Please show again later on with new pot, and would love to see it from a few different angles as well :)

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like that you are dealing with these.

They seem take anything northern Illinois can dish out and ask for more. From muggy to arctic. If the few I have were the only pines I ever had, I would still be naive and curious about these, how you say, "pests". Non-issue so far.

I'm going to keep chipping away at mine.

Your's look fantastic. I'll remember you to pick your brain.

Top Bottom