34th Annual Mid-America Bonsai Show & Sale (Iliinois)

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those in the Chicagoland area might like to know about the 34th Annual Mid-America Bonsai Show, coming up on August 19 - 21, 2011. The show is held at the Chicago Botanic Garden and is quite possibly one of the largest shows in the country. There are typically 100+ trees on display, along with two courtyards of vendors selling all manner of trees, tools, and supplies. In the centre of each courtyard you'll find the Garden's own collection of trees, displayed from Spring through Autumn.

You can read more about the show on the Midwest Bonsai site here: http://midwestbonsai.org/augustshow.html

Don't forget to check out the complete list of bonsai workshops on offer here:
http://midwestbonsai.org/augworkshop.html

RogueFJ

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
AKNicolle,

I plan to attend. Do you remember if vendors take cash only?

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it varies. We've bought a few things by credit card in the past, and I would hope the majority of the vendors would accept them due to some of the high-dollar stuff they're selling.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes some of the vendors will except check and possibly credit cards as well.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
The may show, the two vendors I bought from only accepted cash...they have an ATM at the entrance of the building. This time, I'm going prepared with cash just in case and avoid the hefty ATM charges.

I signed up for Ryan's critique session, and Ryan's bring your own tree. I can't wait to meet him, I'm sure I'm going to learn a ton.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
...I signed up for Ryan's critique session, ... I can't wait to meet him, I'm sure I'm going to learn a ton.

I made it into the Critque after Ryan expanded the number of people that could participate. Very good learning time, especially since he touched on several things to which we don't give much thought in the USA (yet;) example, pointers on how to set up a show (as distinguished from individual trees within a show,) and don't show a tree before it's ready! (We hurry-hurry Yanks do tend to be bad about that.)

He's a good presenter, too, good at making his points clear and involving the audience. And he was the one who gently pushed to have the time slot extended from 90 minutes to 2 hrs.

I couldn't pick out any other Nuthouse regulars there. For any who were present, I was the man in the green T-shirt who asked the air-layer questions near the end of the critique.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Steve, you met me. I'm Chris, we talked after the critique about your yew air layer, and I sat behind you at Ryan's Ponderosa Demo. Nice to have a face to a name ;)

I agree, Ryan was great. A fantastic fund of knowledge, funny, patient, and explained things that even I could understand.

And to top it off, I love my new ponderosa pine I got from Andy! And again, Ryan was even nice enough to give me some future styling ideas before I left. Incredibly kind and generous of him.

Chris

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
OK! I'm sorry, but when you gave your name I didn't hear it clearly (Friday evening) and was a little embarrassed to ask you to repeat. I thought it was "Chris," but wasn't sure.

It was nice to meet you! As you say, nice to have a face to put with a name. :)

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Never be embarrassed to ask someone to repeat. If ya miss it, ya miss it ;)) No worries at all Steve.

And it was a pleasure to meet you too!

Top Bottom