$35,000 bonsai shears--discuss

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I can't really speak to $35,000. I assume you have to understand what is driving that value - and I don't. However in his defense, he didn't really say what made his most expensive shears worth $35K... just that the most expensive ones cost that much.

On a more limited scale, you can do what @Vin did, and get some engraving work done by @D'Angelo...

View attachment 227025

He keeps his concave cutters in a holster. Branches avert their eyes when he walks into the garden...
I am accepting offers in the $10,000 range. What a deal! LOL!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have a framer friend who has been framing for over 40 years. It is all she has ever done. I had the opportunity to work with her for about 10 years. Framing is an art that frequently out does the painting. She uses this phrase; "Making your shit look as good as it can." Believe me this was often the case. Even now I would rather build a frame than paint. I can crank out a pretty little oil landscape in 20 minutes and sell it right away. There are many considerations involved in the frame and mat. It is more of a challange to me. Custom framing is art. Unfortunately it is, like many other things, a dying art. Welcome to the "Brave New World".
You might be interested in this post about a framed painting...
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/b...d-bonsai-from-the-also-rans.26744/post-435811

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The point of having a pair of $35k bonsai shears is not to use them, but to have a piece of a tradition, especially one that is disappearing.

I know some folks in the U.S. are paying similar prices on occasion for collectible bonsai pots from famous Japanese potters (who are also dying off). Those folks MAY have the last laugh when those potters die, or their pots become more limited in supply...

None of those high end pots are actually USED and no one really criticizes people that throw around a few grand for a five inch by five in by inch deep piece of stoneware...
I respectfully differ. I think most people who purchase or act to excess, (one defines "excess" from one's own perspective) does so for the same reason that a certain party, whose name shall be withheld, did, "Because I could...". As long as you can afford it, it is neither right, nor wrong, but it is usually a method of inflating one's prestige much like a Puffer does when you catch one. Is the fish really too big to eat...

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I suggest the actual price that is paid for any item, including that bonsai or the shears, is what the seller is willing to accept and the buyer is willing to pay. It will never be one penny more or one penny less. That is the only thing that ever determines value.

Concerning shears, bonsai or pots by a master craft person:
"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives, the cumulative experience of many masters of craftsmanship. Quality also marks the search for an ideal after necessity has been satisfied and mere usefulness achieved." ~ John Ruskin

Finally, there are some people who will pay very large amounts of money just because they have a special attraction, affinity or appreciation for certain objects or traditions. Back in the day, I collected antique woodworking tools. I did it, not to use them, rather because of my admiration of the craft-persons who originally used them. There are many who might call that hobby foolish or a waste of money, just as many might choose to not spend $35,000 on shears despite the tradition and craftsmanship that brought them into existence.

The pots I saw at the last Kokofu were beautiful, but I have no interest in a $250,000 pot. I just can't appreciate it the way it deserves. Yet, I'm very glad someone does and is willing to hold that pot in trust for all of us.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You say you paid 750 USD just for a TRUNK ? But most of it is dead, and the pot does not even have a nice glaze!?
You can get a juniper for 20 bucks at the hardware store!

(Trying to put things into perpective here)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I respectfully differ. I think most people who purchase or act to excess, (one defines "excess" from one's own perspective) does so for the same reason that a certain party, whose name shall be withheld, did, "Because I could...". As long as you can afford it, it is neither right, nor wrong, but it is usually a method of inflating one's prestige much like a Puffer does when you catch one. Is the fish really too big to eat...

That may be, however, there's more going on here than simple "I can pay $35 K for scissors" brag...

Culturally, this work is significant. The maker is fifth generation in a blacksmithing family--working in the same media as Katana/wakizashi swordsmiths. The two areas are closely related and have a very deep history, which both carry great significance in Japan--and Japan is this guy's market-because Westerners typically don't "get it."

The guy's "regular" scissors are $1,100--which is on a par with what a decent Katana blade can go for. The guy smiles when mentioning the $35,000 work, which probably means he's sold none or very few of those. FWIW, Japanese meiji period bronze sculpture, which was made by former bladesmiths who were outlawed from making blades in the late 1800's, turned to other crafts and arts in metal work. they were VERY good at it

The video doesn't say if he has been designated as a "living national treasure," but there are more than a few metal workers-including katana makers--who are. That long tradition and attention to detail is valued tremendously in Japanese culture. THAT is the value here, not some simple-minded brag...

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
To rockm's excellent point.... Japanese culture puts a very high value on the quest for perfection [witness the gentleman saying that after fifty years of work he felt he was starting to reach his peak]. One could also point to something as elemental as the tea ceremony as an example--dozens of movements, each requiring scrupulous attention to be executed perfectly.
They also find meaning in the artful execution of even the most humble household objects--like a pair of scissors--when that object represents the consummation of an artisan's lifelong development of their skill. Western culture, for the most part, tends to value quantity of possessions and visible status symbols.

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
To rockm's excellent point.... Japanese culture puts a very high value on the quest for perfection [witness the gentleman saying that after fifty years of work he felt he was starting to reach his peak]. One could also point to something as elemental as the tea ceremony as an example--dozens of movements, each requiring scrupulous attention to be executed perfectly.
They also find meaning in the artful execution of even the most humble household objects--like a pair of scissors--when that object represents the consummation of an artisan's lifelong development of their skill. Western culture, for the most part, tends to value quantity of possessions and visible status symbols.
Are you thinking of the concept of "shibumi" or "shibusa" as the quest for the most subtle of perfection?
I'm sure glad the quest for perfection is most important or I would have been discouraged from ever allowing another person to see any of my trees. Now I tell people they must look carefully to see the subtle part.;)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Are you thinking of the concept of "shibumi" or "shibusa" as the quest for the most subtle of perfection?
I'm sure glad the quest for perfection is most important or I would have been discouraged from ever allowing another person to see any of my trees. Now I tell people they must look carefully to see the subtle part.;)
It's kind of like defining the elusive American Bonsai, That way you don't really have to accomplish anything anyone else can understand?

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I thought “shibumi” was a song by The Crew Cuts.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I thought “shibumi” was a song by The Crew Cuts.
I think Sh-boom refers to dreaming about what could be, in spite of the facts...

When we buy a candidate we say Sh-boom! After we work on it we say, "Ya da da da da da da da...

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Excellent!! I feared that reference was going the way of a fart in a space suit. Thank you for restoring my faith.

Aaronkslater

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm calling bs on the fact that it takes him a week of 10 hour days to make a pair of shears that he sells for $1000 usd. Thats starvation money in Japan.

on the other hand, if it weren't for people paying ridiculous amounts of money for finely crafted objects I couldn't feed my kids, so I will be keeping my mouth shut on that subject. lol.

www.aaronslaterglass.com

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Introspection begins in one's own wallet.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm calling bs on the fact that it takes him a week of 10 hour days to make a pair of shears that he sells for $1000 usd. Thats starvation money in Japan.

on the other hand, if it weren't for people paying ridiculous amounts of money for finely crafted objects I couldn't feed my kids, so I will be keeping my mouth shut on that subject. lol.

www.aaronslaterglass.com
You do nice work. Diver?
The mere fact that you can spell ‘nudibranch’ makes you my kind of people.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If I'm not mistaken, did he not also write "The Eiger Sanction"?

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
One is always learning. According to Wikipedia [and they can't put it on the internet if it isn't true], 'shibui' is the adjective form, and 'shibumi' is the noun. There is also 'shibuma', a noun, but the distinction between that and 'shibumi' is over my pay grade at this hour, filtering this as I am through a liberal helping of 'Nine Banded' whiskey from Austin TX.

Top Bottom