$35,000 bonsai shears--discuss

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wow. And they do wear out. It is not uncommon to spend $400-$500 on barber scissors and when they dull they are thrown away. They never really work as well after sharpening.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is amazing. I wonder how many people are true masters of any one thing nowadays. 50 years of forging scissors by hand.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I’m not worthy ...

But my first impression was what a load of crap. Amiwrong?

Research scissors for a year? To work on a pine that has been grown too fast and has no taper to its branches? I didn’t finish the vid. But did I just take the bait?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m not worthy ...

But my first impression was what a load of crap. Amiwrong?

Research scissors for a year? To work on a pine that has been grown too fast and has no taper to its branches? I didn’t finish the vid. But did I just take the bait?
I'm not pine guy, but The "Bonsai master" is using the wrong shears on those candles...

Kendo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If you understand, only then can you know. Hai For me the price in payment is considerable. Hai

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@ABCarve As a cosmetologist I'll spend between 250 and 500 on shears. We have a really, really good sharpener, named Sun Oh. After he tweaks our stuff it's better than when it was new. But before we met him we had some dudes really jack up our stuff.
As far as forged bonsai shears at THAT price. They're cool, but you'd have to be a sucker to buy them OR so rich that it didn't matter

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I appreciate the man's art. He's a master scissor-smith....what can I say?....its totally awesome.
I can understand $1k for the time, research and hard work....not that I'd be a buyer....but I appreciate it.

Now, $35k is ummmm.....well it better have a lot of perfectly executed 24k Gold inlay work....and maybe a diamond or 2...or diamond edges or something crazy...
Edit:....again, not that I'd be a buyer... But I might look!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Same technique used down here for rings
from an x mm cube of metal.

The 8k mix is especially useful.
Good Day
Anthony

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I saw that shimpaku as well. I just shook my head. Nothing about it is even believable.
I believe it’s a Shimpaku...and that’s about where it ends. Of course if it sells for $2k, I have a few to let fly for $50k.?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As to hugely overpriced Bonsai shears even if currently very rich that is way out of line. Having always been fairly poor value of $$ too well ingrained to waste that way;). As previously said $1000 possibly but not more.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@ABCarve As a cosmetologist I'll spend between 250 and 500 on shears. We have a really, really good sharpener, named Sun Oh. After he tweaks our stuff it's better than when it was new. But before we met him we had some dudes really jack up our stuff.
As far as forged bonsai shears at THAT price. They're cool, but you'd have to be a sucker to buy them OR so rich that it didn't matter
Does this person do bonsai shears? I replace mine once every year or two. I have sharpened 10s of thousands of normal edge tools but getting the geometry to work on scissors evades me. Proper sharpening may cost more than a new pair.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@ABCarve I haven't ever asked. I was going to ask him about it a year ago but he walked into the salon and made and announcement that he ONLY sharpened barbering shears haha. It's like he knew. But, enough time has passed I suppose I can play dumb and ask him. If the answer is "yes" I'll have him do a pair and let you know how it went. The guy is no bullshit when it comes to his career so I'm sure if it's something he can't do 100% he won;t try. Good news is I'm sure you could mail in the scissors.

Anyway, I won't derail this any harder. I'll PM you if anything comes of it.

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use one of these to sharpen my scissors and knives. Very cheap and seems to work well. I'm not using it on anything expensive though.

91MqDpuLoQL._SL1500_.jpg

Top Bottom