ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
For that price, if it entertains me for just one weekend, it's money well spent. I plan to start two air layers right away to remove most of the top. I see an upcoming chop, probably near the height of the top of the very first picture.
Here's the whole thing:
image.jpeg
Don't mind my crappy side yard/soil sifting pit.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks. I'm kind of tempted to hollow it out, just since I don't have any hollow trunks yet . . .

All that is still there now?

I'd be trying to preserve the dead roots, and keep the base "stable".

I could see you using the whole trunk all the way to the end of the deadwood.

I think you're gonna get more than a weekend oughta that!

Specially with then airlayers!

Sorce

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here's the other side - all alive.
image.jpeg

The foliage on the branch near the base seems to match the rest of the tree, so if there's a graft, it's pretty low and not really visible. I'm inclined to think it's just on its own roots . . .

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's the other side - all alive.
View attachment 100409

The foliage on the branch near the base seems to match the rest of the tree, so if there's a graft, it's pretty low and not really visible. I'm inclined to think it's just on its own roots . . .
What cultivar is yours, doesn't look grafted?
I just chopped one very similar.
Select Red JMimage.jpeg

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice fined. Can't wait to see were you take it.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What cultivar is yours, doesn't look grafted?
Ah, that's the trouble with a bargain like this - it's been sitting around the nursery so long, no one knows what it is, and the tag is long gone. They stock quite a few grafted cultivars; I compared foliage before I bought it, and it didn't match any of them.

It has nice small leaves, so that's a bonus:
image.jpeg

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So much for air layers! I had a buddy over at the house who wanted to learn a little about bonsai and maybe help out with a project - I decided making him decapitate a perfectly good tree would give him a pretty good feel for what bonsai is about ;). We did, at least, start a bunch of cuttings from the top . . .
image.jpeg

As you can see, I decided to leave a little bit of foliage on each of the forks, to hopefully guard against dieback - I'm not sure yet how much of the trunk I want to use, so I'm keeping my options open. Let the backbudding begin!
This should be fun . . .
image.jpeg

Top Bottom