35 yrs later

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Purchased from Brussel Martin and it was a rough, last one to sell at the Chicago show back then. It was left to 'grow in the pot' for about a decade. It's only the beginning of a refined tree today.....planning on 'pulling down and lengthening the right hand side a tad....
( the one in the nail head pot is from about 1999 when it was first potted. Prior it was in a nursery container )

Attachments

• SNC00047 copy.jpg
    SNC00047 copy.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG00002-20100627-0947 copy.jpg
    IMG00002-20100627-0947 copy.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 332
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_E1220.JPG
    IMG_E1220.JPG
    372.6 KB · Views: 424

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I sure am glad you went to California, got bored as hell and started talking with us here!

All the ones that sold first are probably ..."returned" first. Ashes to Ashes Returned.

Spectacular. Thanks for sharing.

Sorce

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The "seven months" that it spent with Johnny Uchida of Groveway Bonsai here in CA he placed it (unbeknownst to me) in their club show and many folks wanted to know when it came from... One of the visitors inquiring it to Johnny: he said: "It's a friend's from back East". Just so happened the young man was an engineer at Tesla and mentioned that his professor back East, grew bonsai. Well Serendipity! Turns out that he knew me when Johnny gave him my name! Lawrence Tech University has produced more automotive based engineers that any other university world wide! A proud fact that is used in their 'sales pitch'.....

P.S. Source: You're right this damn virus thing has got us 'tied up'....and ornery. I do miss the Midwest Show though.....and am looking forward to getting out and about to shows and other nurseries....like Jonas over in Alameda et al.

Thank you all, for your comments and likes....

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice tree.
Having a hard time telling from the pictures
This is a Japanese white pine?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes it is , Pinus Parviflora or JWP
Nice tree. The bark is beginning to develop plates, nice!

Watch your apex. It’s significantly fuller than the lower branches, and shading out the lower branches.

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks Adair,

Here's today's update on developing and extending needles from almost non existent candles. If you have JWP then you know what I mean. This tree is now needing just a tad 'pull' downward and extension of the right hand lower branch.

Attachments

• IMG_2080 copy.jpg
    IMG_2080 copy.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2082.JPG
    IMG_2082.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2083.JPG
    IMG_2083.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 136

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
last one to sell at the Chicago show back then
I have only one tree that I can definitively trace back to Chicago in the 1990's. I left all my cold hardy trees behind when I moved to SoCal...

Regardless of condition, the only bad bonsai is a dead one. I have a Japanese black pine that I have had for over 20 years that has a special place in my heart. It is not my best tree, nor even my best black pine. But it is still alive... and it makes me happy :) The shimpaku juniper I have from Chicago has been neglected over and over... but has somehow survived. And now that I am showing it some love it is growing like mad again. :)

Top Bottom