3D Printed Pots

peh3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They look very nice, you should smooth them out and coat them with some paint if you didn't already plan to!

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
Are the rough bits around the lip are supposed to be removed like the bottom?
and what type of filament? if ABS you can do a acetone vapor and it will melt the outer layer to give it a smooth glass like finish but it has to be ABS for that to work
like this

How do/did you generate the 3D print file, @RaiderRed?
you can get files to print from thingiverse for free.
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=bonsai&sa=&dwh=75a78ed3f5d58d

this looks like the one printed here
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:88627

Last edited:

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good work! There have been a few discussions on 3D printing pots but I think you are the first to actually go through with it. At $10 for the three that is not a bad price. You could really do some weird things. My only concern is that they are rather small.

Any ideas how UV resistant the material is?

RaiderRed

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
These pots were more of a trial run. I like how they looked so I’m going to start trying bigger ones and different material as the need arises to make them. There is a lot of material that still needs to be removed. I did get it off of thingverse, they have a lot of free designs that are really cool. I’ve been tinkering with my own using autodesk inventor, because I have the software for free from my school’s mechanical engineering department. The idea was something cheap and hassle free to put my new projects in!

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
These pots were more of a trial run. I like how they looked so I’m going to start trying bigger ones and different material as the need arises to make them. There is a lot of material that still needs to be removed. I did get it off of thingverse, they have a lot of free designs that are really cool. I’ve been tinkering with my own using autodesk inventor, because I have the software for free from my school’s mechanical engineering department. The idea was something cheap and hassle free to put my new projects in!

Nice!!

How strong is it? Have never held a 3D printed item before... FWIW nigel saunders has one in a video and has a link to its build-file (I can't recall what 3D files are called, know it's not CAD ;p )

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do bonsai to make me forget about the increasing and pervasive intrusion of tech into life. Digital bonsai pots, no thanks. Hand made bonsai pots, thanks.

FWI, noted American bonsai potter Don Gould began making computer assisted design bonsai pots at the end of his career--and this was almost 15 years ago now. Those pots had none of the soul that his handmade stuff has.

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
I do bonsai to make me forget about the increasing and pervasive intrusion of tech into life. Digital bonsai pots, no thanks. Hand made bonsai pots, thanks.

FWI, noted American bonsai potter Don Gould began making computer assisted design bonsai pots at the end of his career--and this was almost 15 years ago now. Those pots had none of the soul that his handmade stuff has.
These would be a training pot like the mica pots. They are easy to produce and can be scaled to whatever size you need. I'm sure these pots are not going to replace a nice show pot but to be able to make a training pot the size you want that's not a bad idea.
You don't have any plants in training pots or nursery pots? If so what's the difference?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These would be a training pot like the mica pots. They are easy to produce and can be scaled to whatever size you need. I'm sure these pots are not going to replace a nice show pot but to be able to make a training pot the size you want that's not a bad idea.
You don't have any plants in training pots or nursery pots? If so what's the difference?

They'd be cool for that, but I'd have some concerns in everyday use. Are they durable enough to handle being outside in the sun for years?--(untreated plastic is very susceptible to breakdown in high UV exposure) or having a lot of fertilizer dumped on them-trees in training get ALOT of fertilizer for a long time.

Mica pots aren't really affected by UV and can take a lot of abuse. I've used the same mica pots for the last 20 years. No real signs of them wearing out.

Reactions: SU2

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
They'd be cool for that, but I'd have some concerns in everyday use. Are they durable enough to handle being outside in the sun for years?--(untreated plastic is very susceptible to breakdown in high UV exposure) or having a lot of fertilizer dumped on them-trees in training get ALOT of fertilizer for a long time.

Mica pots aren't really affected by UV and can take a lot of abuse. I've used the same mica pots for the last 20 years. No real signs of them wearing out.

many different types of filament that will last a long time. https://www.3dxtech.com/3dxmax-asa-natural-3d-filament-750g/ recommended for marine and outdoor use. this roll would make several pots in the size you want. Although most machines are 8"x8" there are larger machines. I am building one now with a 24"x24" bed to also be used for milling or cnc .

And you can choose if you want them to be 100 percent fill so it is like solid plastic or 10 percent fill so it is super light. it just fills the inside of the print in a honeycomb pattern to keep strength..

RaiderRed

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Have you read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? The first few chapters go into situations similar to yours. It's an interesting read :)

RaiderRed

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice!!

How strong is it? Have never held a 3D printed item before... FWIW nigel saunders has one in a video and has a link to its build-file (I can't recall what 3D files are called, know it's not CAD ;p )
It feels pretty sturdy. I used the standard filament provided by my school, and I emailed them to see what kind it was and they haven't responded. Probably not the best grade, but I like the feel of them.

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
Most likely ABS but possibly PLA. The ABS will take the acetone treatment but be careful because it is basically melting the plastic. PLA does not melt in acetone but is a food grade plastic that will deteriorate faster outdoors(it can be composted). So hopefully they are not PLA

You can also melt ABS scraps(like the pieces you removed) in acetone and make a slurry that can be brushed on the finished pot to give the glossy effect like the acetone bath. it can also be used to glue pieces together and such because when the acetone evaporates the plastic will be hard again.

Dont mean to go crazy I have just done a lot of research in the hobby and a lot of geek translation to be able lay it down in terms most people can understand.

Last edited:

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

AMEN enough is enough, There takin our Jobs!!! (anyone see that southpark ep?)

Top Bottom