3rd tree, Norway "Little Gem" Weeper Progression from Nursery Stock, Any Advice, Criticism or Comments are Welcome

takeme4granite

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi, I am new to bonsai. I have bought 4 trees so far from the nursery. This is my most recent. Nothing too exciting but its my only tree that looks like a tree right now haha. Let me know what you all think. I may also post pictures of my Boxwood, Hot Wings (Tartarian) Maple and Wells Weeper Spruce if I feel like people would like to see them. Thanks for looking!

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you haven't already, the first thing I would do is to cut the top of the pot down to the soil line. This will allow you to get a much better view of the truck and what you will be working with. Spruces dont tend to back bud if at all, try to keep branches with foliage close to the trunk. How does the soil look and do you plan on repotting?

takeme4granite

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Warpig,
I have cut down the pot. I'm not sure if you saw the rest of the pictures on the imgur link, but there are 4 pictures showing a little progression. I'm not sure what I should be looking at in terms of soil. Looks like normal potting soil to me. I am not sure about repotting. I cut off a decent amount of material so maybe I should wait until next year?

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Your right, I hadn't seen the other pictures. Not a bad little tree for sure. I know you are new but I have no idea on what you may have learned or know so far. So first I'll go with the basics.

First off welcome to the hobby. Once the itch sets in it can really become a passion. One piece of advice that is always good for anyone looking to learn more, if you haven't yet you really should look into any bonsai clubs or groups in your area. Reading can be great but can't compare to the interaction of going to meetings and talking face to face. Along with that, you should take a minute to add your location to your profile. This will allow you to get much better help as much of practicing bonsai is dependent. Depends on your climate, depends on your trees, depends on season, and much more.

If you are still vary new new. And know little of the basics you will be doing plenty of reading. Don't worry, this is where some of the fun starts to take hold. These forums are of course a great place to get help and see how others are doing it but for some of the more basic stuff I would suggest some more defined material aswell. There are plenty of great sites and books. One site I found as a great help for some basics was:

There's alot of good info on that site if you look through it.

As for your tree. The first thing you need to learn is how to keep it alive. Start by reading about the species:

Just know that not all varieties of the same species are the same. Some varieties lend themselves to different bonsai techniques differently.

And always remember, you do a hobby for the enjoyment from it. Have fun and if you have a question just ask.

Top Bottom