4$ Crimson Pygmy Barberry

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did it make you bleed yet?
These things have some of the sharpest thorns out there.
Yea,right.They have in the past for sure.
I still like them though.I have seen very nice speecimins.And plus its a throwback as I had one many years ago that never made it to a bonsai pot.
I really like the red purple leaves in the full sun.
Can always pluck the thorns off with tweezers I believe.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yea,right.They have in the past for sure.
I still like them though.I have seen very nice speecimins.And plus its a throwback as I had one many years ago that never made it to a bonsai pot.
I really like the red purple leaves in the full sun.
Can always pluck the thorns off with tweezers I believe.
I was working on a timber sale that the ground was covered with wild barberry.
I never got put of the machine.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Why would deer tick favor one bush over another?
Their sole purpose in life is to latch on to some other creature, become engorged with blood, and fall off, and as such are universally hated...I think thy have the right to be at least a little neurotic. 🤪

Just a SWAG, but if I were a defenseless little bug who lived on the underside of leaves, I would choose the thorniest plant I could find in the hopes I would not be consumed by some foraging herbivore. From the above, Barberry sounds like a good choice.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Their sole purpose in life is to latch on to some other creature, become engorged with blood, and fall off, and as such are universally hated...I think thy have the right to be at least a little neurotic. 🤪

Just a SWAG, but if I were a defenseless little bug who lived on the underside of leaves, I would choose the thorniest plant I could find in the hopes I would not be consumed by some foraging herbivore. From the above, Barberry sounds like a good choice.
Very intelligent answer!
Thanks

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Definite potential yes, like boxwood but colorful foliage. My neighbor has one I hope to collect one day. Single trunk about 6” across. Amazing bark, my guess is about 100 years old.
61369DB2-5E9A-418B-97E8-9A15BAC243F7.jpeg

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another fun fact about this species Don't get scared when you prune them the fresh cuts are yellow as is their Sapp and roots
Can't remember anymore if the sap is toxic Gotta search in my species file library Tought I read something about that I got a similar discount barberry for shohin/mame future or grow out they don't thicken up to fast I believe also single trunks are hard to find they have the tendency to grow suckers

In my thread @AlainK posted a link with examples to show how much abuse these can take

Last edited:
Top Bottom