40% sand, 40% potting mix, 20% peat moss???

LouisianaNative

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
So the title says it all, there was a local guy at a trade show recently with a booth selling bonsai trees of various sizes. With your purchase, you get a "how to take care of your bonsai" packet and it had the soil mix listed as 40% sand, 40% potting mix, and 20% peat moss. I'm a beginner at all of this, but isn't this a bit dense? These are all junipers. My wife bought one of the smaller ones and so far you can go a good 2 days without watering it. It's still damp. On a positive note, he does guarantee his trees, if it dies, bring back the container and he will replace. (He has unique wood containers handmade from cedar) Should I re-pot this tree in a better mix with more drainage?

Thanks,

Mark

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So the title says it all, there was a local guy at a trade show recently with a booth selling bonsai trees of various sizes. With your purchase, you get a "how to take care of your bonsai" packet and it had the soil mix listed as 40% sand, 40% potting mix, and 20% peat moss. I'm a beginner at all of this, but isn't this a bit dense? These are all junipers. My wife bought one of the smaller ones and so far you can go a good 2 days without watering it. It's still damp. On a positive note, he does guarantee his trees, if it dies, bring back the container and he will replace. (He has unique wood containers handmade from cedar) Should I re-pot this tree in a better mix with more drainage?

Thanks,

Mark

Yes, but not now. Repotting is a late winter/early spring activity done with the tree is dormant.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well this could be debatable how big are the junis, how big are the pots , if it's moist don't water it . Sounds a bit much to me , there are a lot of factors though , of course we strive for a free draining soil to promote a healthy fiberous root system , which is what we build with a free draining mix, but they could live In that mix depending on care and all , gotta remember junipers here grow in some crazy conditions , so yes if you water a wet football you will probably end up killing it

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The only tree I would ever put in a mix like that is a Bald Cypress. I have one now in 50% soil and 50% Perlite for 3 years.

Any other tree unless it was a swamp species that grows half submerged, no way in hell I would use that mix

LouisianaNative

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Well, I'm in North Louisiana, very hot and humid, I have it in full sun, but it is staying "damp" for a couple of days between waterings. No way I'm watering it everyday. I check it daily though. It's a small juniper...about 3 inches tall. I figured it was too compacted or whatever you want to call it. Finding the right mix seems to be a real challenge. I only say that as a newbie, I've been doing tons of research, google, youtube, this site, other sites. No simple answer, but I understand, different types of trees, different climates. All that. I'm probably going to order some bonsai mix from Brussels Bonsai.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
That may not be ideal but a juniper can live in that. That soil may consider that average people may not water as frequently as needed with a better draining mix. The extra peat may be to add acidity.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well most potting soil is a majority Peay, so that is basically telling you to do 60-40 peat to sand, which is a pretty dense mix but there is nothing wrong with dense... sound s like there would be enough drainage to keep the soil from compacting so it will probably be fine.

I use pretty much a straight potting soil mix to grow all my trees out and they are fine... nurseries have done the same for over a hundred years. This supposed need for inorganic soil is a myth...

LouisianaNative

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
This supposed need for inorganic soil is a myth...

Interesting...Makes sense I guess. Even though I'm a beginner, I've had an interest in Bonsai for decades. I remember VERY different soil mixes back in the 70's. Heck, they've been growing these things for hundreds of years. Thousands even.
So who's to say what is right? But proper drainage is certainly a common theme no matter what.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This supposed need for inorganic soil is a myth...

Agreed, 100 percent through a few years of experience and experimentation. A great example would be that tiny Itoigawa you sent me a year or two ago - in a 3 inch pot currently slightly over a 1/2 inch trunk, full, robust bout a foot wide. Oh, and the plastic pot is cracked halfway down the side, lol.

Grimmy

Last edited:
Top Bottom