40 year old legacy jade

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yesterday while I was at my teachers house helping her store some trees that are already dormant. When I was getting ready to leave she remembered that she had a jade she didn't have space for anymore and couldn't even lift it anymore, so she offered it to me.
The story goes that her passed husband had bought a 4in potted jade back in 1976 when they bought their home. Her husband told her if she ever killed it, that he would divorce her lol so it must be pretty special.

Here it is when I got it home, it wouldn't even stand as one side was soooo heavy with foliage so it's leaning on the greenhouse.20161105_163905.jpg
And after a haircut to lighten things up a bit.20161105_164423.jpg
The main trunk is about 4inches thick and they smaller one is about 3inches and the whole plant is about 3ft tall.
This won't be a serious bonsai, but it's got the size to compensate for the leaves so it'll be trained in a bonsai fashion.
Thanks for looking!

Aaron

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for sharing the story. It is an invaluable gift from your teacher. You must be proud.
Bonhe

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Great story behind this one!

These succulent plants came right out of a Super Mario game. All puffy and bulbous and stuff. Like an inflatable plant. So cartoonish.

Are they bonsai?;)

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Great story behind this one!

These succulent plants came right out of a Super Mario game. All puffy and bulbous and stuff. Like an inflatable plant. So cartoonish.

Are they bonsai?;)
I know there was a thread a few months back about jades as bonsai, huge controversy apparently lol. I have a few that I've been playing with, but nothing like this beast!

Aaron

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Saw one on the weekend (at a nursery) that blew me away. Its huge and styled as a upright big tree in the wild. Branches at the right heights around and some ramification in them to. I couldn't get away from it. Not a bonsai, even though I say its "styled". Its in a big ceramic pot on the nursery floor. Not for sale. Its very much like yours. I'll go back on the weekend and take a photo for you. That is the best Cussonia I have seen so far.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know there was a thread a few months back about jades as bonsai, huge controversy apparently lol. I have a few that I've been playing with, but nothing like this beast!

Aaron
Has it ever flowered? I was blown away when we moved to CA and saw giant landscape jades in bloom in the winter. Mine are just starting to flower and should be in full bloom next week.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I picked one about that size up off the sidewalk last year. A work crew had pulled it out of a planter/median that was being rearranged and left it next to where I park regularly. I threw it in the car and, after quickly realizing the complete lack of bonsai potential, gave it to my mom as a lovely patio container plant . . . It flowered profusely this year.

I wouldn't have spent $0.05 on it, but it saved me $50.00 on a gift ;)

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Has it ever flowered? I was blown away when we moved to CA and saw giant landscape jades in bloom in the winter. Mine are just starting to flower and should be in full bloom next week.
She said that it used to bloom when she would put it in a sunny spot in the summer, but this year it was left leaning against the house in a shady area so it was sulking a little bit. I won't doubt If I leave it be that it'll flower next fall.

Aaron

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Aaron

Did you see the photos I posted on it?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some big ass Afras from a nursery road trip. I'll post 'em here later today. I have to pick-up and entertain WeeMac after work....so might take some time!:mad::rolleyes::D:D:D:D

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
nice man, I have one like yours, its great, ive topped off so many parts into niec fat trunk jade bonsais and the mother plants keeps getting shorter and more compact, only problem ive seen is when you make a cut on a fat jade the wound rots down, it will eventually heal over but the inside will hold water and is some cause of concern for me. still searching for the best soil for these jades.. the cactus mix miracle grow seems to be great.. ive tried napa, and other mixes and they all work but i think actually the peat moss organic-y stuff might be best for getting big flushes of growth... I let them get a bit cold the last week or so outside and got some great natural defoliation.. all mine are now in my grow tent happy as a clam, love these plants, make great bonsai.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jade at Bonsai West yesterday.......
DSC01555.JPG
Not much to look at but it was flowering rather well.....
DSC01556.JPG
Sweet, right?!?!:D:D:D

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Jade at Bonsai West yesterday.......
View attachment 124244
Not much to look at but it was flowering rather well.....
View attachment 124245
Sweet, right?!?!:D:D:D
I was thinking about making a concrete pot for this one to help make up for the excessive weight up top. Gonna order me some shapecrete!

Aaron

Top Bottom