BonsaiBay

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi All,

While the pictures aren't great, does anyone know what type of juniper this is and it's viablility for good bonsai foliage? They are planted in a mobile home park and I was just given permission to take what I want before they rip everything out, including a fruit tree. I was shown photos of the property from the 70's and the junipers were already fairly health looking in the ground about 2 feet tall. Any other advise would be greatly appreciated also.

Thank you,

BonsaiBayWP_20180904_18_55_35_Raw.jpg

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you can take some close up shots of what the foliage looks like I think people could give you a better ID.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’m not really the go to juniper ID person, but now that those photos are up hopefully someone else can chime in.

Something to keep in mind: if for some reason this is a variety with difficult foliage you can always graft better foliage on. I imagine that there are some nice trunks in there if it’s as old as you say. So probably worth collecting even if you graft new foliage on later.

BonsaiBay

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I’m not really the go to juniper ID person, but now that those photos are up hopefully someone else can chime in.

Something to keep in mind: if for some reason this is a variety with difficult foliage you can always graft better foliage on. I imagine that there are some nice trunks in there if it’s as old as you say. So probably worth collecting even if you graft new foliage on later.
That's what I was thinking.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My best guess is Juniperus chinensis 'Pfitzer's Dwarf' or a similar cultivar. These are very durable and common landscape shrubs.

BonsaiBay

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My best guess is Juniperus chinensis 'Pfitzer's Dwarf' or a similar cultivar. These are very durable and common landscape shrubs.
Thank you, about what I was expecting. I do have one of these from an original Home Depot purchase a couple years ago when I first got into bonsai. I look at that thing everyday thinking "what the hell am I going to do with you". It's not the most inspiring tree.

@Lazylightningny let's hope it stays that way. I'm expecting to need to graft in the future though but only time will tell.

@thomas22 @just.wing.it. I'll be heading over in a little bit to do my first real exploration into the trees today deciding which to take which to leave for the demolition crew. I'm hoping to remember to take pictures along the way, if I do I'll post them.

Thank you all for your thoughts,

BonsaiBay

BonsaiBay

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was only allowed about an hour today at the property. They were a mess underneath. I'll include a photo example in a couple of posts. Unfortunately, the trees butt up against another property's driveway. The rocks in the photos are the driveway. Not sure how I'll dig it them up without digging up part of the driveway, although, it's all rocks and dirt. While I haven't done much digging the roots look massive and makes me nervous for good feeder roots within digging depth. Lower trunk was about 4" thick. I'm hoping to go back Monday for most of the day, clean and plan.ABEBE357-BA69-4466-B25D-823D9EF45FBD.pngC91173D5-1BA0-4F48-9696-DF84C23E26C4.png12151B17-52D3-460C-B6D9-86907ACCD36A.png

BonsaiBay

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Third tree, I think the picture from the top view goes with the this tree. Unfortunately, they were taken out of order. I love the trunk that runs from the top left of the photo to the top edge middle down in the back to the bottom left in the top view photo.14E0E758-1B45-4961-AEEA-D23483C12404.png34DACB2E-F7BB-44E5-8D43-B73997FE1336.png56B082F6-32C2-4F24-A6F0-B57A118278A3.png68ABF8EF-4E45-4E12-9ABE-8EB72E217674.png9002CB89-6CB8-4176-971D-8DC8BB4D4E2D.png

BonsaiBay

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
There was one trunk I was unable to actually locate because car parked in the way and there may be another two trunks hidden deeper in the tree, we'll see. Most of the tree looks like this inside top to bottom.B848B174-C20C-43AB-BFA9-902E7D4529B9.png

BonsaiBay

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
After clearing away the surface and getting to the first roots in one of the trees, the trunk doesn't look that impressive and no immediately large nebari and it has a massive reverse taper. What is the communities opinion on digging it up? From the reverse taper up it looks great and i could try air layering it in the future.
WP_20180912_14_11_48_Raw.jpgWP_20180912_14_12_05_Raw.jpgWP_20180912_14_15_18_Raw.jpgWP_20180912_14_10_30_Raw.jpg

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any chance you could get whoever is doing the ripout (hopefully with power equipment) to gently put these aside for you?
That looks like a lot of hard work.
CW

Top Bottom